GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. The sound system on the gl1800 sucks. I have replaced the rear speakers with the Polks and added a Sony minidisc. The Minidisc gives sharp clear sound but I still lack the deep bass that I would like. What would help?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
A 4 or 5 inch speaker lacks the cone surface area that is needed for bass. Also, you have to have a large enclosure. For example, a typical 12 inch sub needs about 2 cubic feet to be mounted in.

I put 8" JL Audio subs in each saddlebag on my 1500. Standing still it sounded awesome. Anything over 15 mph, the bass would go away. Bass and motorcycles are not very compatable unless you are willing to donate your trunk as an enclosure.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More bass

I know I cant get the kind of bass that can be achieved in a car but I would like a little more thump. Is there an amp. that has a sub-woofer output that would plug into the existing wiring without splicing that I could hook up to a little woofer cylinder in the truck or would that also not help?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Try Dynamat in the speaker ports. Worked for me.

Lewis, did you get those Diamond Components installed on your bike yet?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Josh!

I know what you are looking for.
Try this link. I istalled a subwoofer with a built in amp in the trunk the other day.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5164

Sounds great when parked but like Lewis says, most of the stomp that I can feel in the seat at the stoplights blows away when I drive.
But it´s the best I have achieved so far.
With the helmet on and in high speeds I tend to increace the wolume. When I turn it up when parked to the same level it sounds terible.
Now I´m concerned of who it sounds from the sidewalk when I drives by. Maybe it sounds ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I myself was thinking about asking Allen @
Tulsa if he could mount some tweeters up
high on the windshield. :D I am from the 80's
metal age where woofers didn't matter. It
was the tweeters we blew. I probably have
hearing loss at that frequency.

"One day the tweeters will rise again destroying
the rappers woofers bringing metal back into our
lives."