GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad always used to say, "More fun than a barrel full of Monkeys".
Well, I never guessed that riding Monkeys could be so much fun.
Of course my dad was talking about real monkeys.
The following video shows two guys riding the Baja 1000 on Monkeys.
Not real monkeys.......Honda Monkeys.
I think this would be a lot of fun.
I hope you enjoy this video as much as I did.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Over the years, as I have bought larger and more full featured bikes, leading to my current Goldwing ABS model, we can tend to forget the fun of just a simple basic two wheel riding machine. I was thinking about getting the Monkey just for riding around town, but my wife said if I would buy a scooter instead, that did not require a clutch and shifting, she would try riding. So I bought a PCX150 scooter, and while unfortunately my wife seems to have been scared off after trying this little "bike" several times, I find that riding it is enormously fun. I use it around town and even out on country roads outside of the city, as long as I stick to roads with no more than a 55 mph posted speed. The little scooter will get up to 64 mph, which feels REALLY fast without any windscreen or fairing. It is so light and nimble that every time I ride it I am reminded what started me into motorcycles so many decades ago. For what its worth, if you consider the Monkey or the Grom, top speed is even less than what my little scooter can do. If you go up just a tad in size, to a 300cc or so scooter, you will be able highway capable and having more fun than you can imagine.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I bought a Piaggio MP3 250cc shown in my signature,
we've had it about 2 years now, and taken it to about 4 or 5 rallys.

like yours, it will cruise at 65ish okay, but I don't feel really comfortable on 4 lane roads with speedlimits of 65+.... the reason being, I am "too low to the ground, no windscreen to keep air out of my face, and the lighting sucks big time. and I feel really invisible to traffic.

Turn signals are near invisible.

However, for just tooling around the rally grounds, running 1 or 2 miles to the convenience stores, or just exploring the lake roads, it is awesome. I can stop and visit with neighbors, as I am making 25-35 mph usually.

·
Love The DCT
11,324 Posts
Over the years, as I have bought larger and more full featured bikes, leading to my current Goldwing ABS model, we can tend to forget the fun of just a simple basic two wheel riding machine. I was thinking about getting the Monkey just for riding around town, but my wife said if I would buy a scooter instead, that did not require a clutch and shifting, she would try riding. So I bought a PCX150 scooter, and while unfortunately my wife seems to have been scared off after trying this little "bike" several times, I find that riding it is enormously fun. I use it around town and even out on country roads outside of the city, as long as I stick to roads with no more than a 55 mph posted speed. The little scooter will get up to 64 mph, which feels REALLY fast without any windscreen or fairing. It is so light and nimble that every time I ride it I am reminded what started me into motorcycles so many decades ago. For what its worth, if you consider the Monkey or the Grom, top speed is even less than what my little scooter can do. If you go up just a tad in size, to a 300cc or so scooter, you will be able highway capable and having more fun than you can imagine.
Every stock 2019 Grom I’ve ridden would do 62-63 mph wide open on a flat road. It’s speed is right up there with your PCX150.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Every stock 2019 Grom I’ve ridden would do 62-63 mph wide open on a flat road. It’s speed is right up there with your PCX150.
What's the point? I'm not saying the PCX150 is superior to the Grom, or the Monkey, but is another option for someone that wants a small "bike" and is willing to accept less than highway speed capability. I weigh 195 pounds, and wonder if I rode the Grom if I could get it up to the 64 that my PCX, with a 25cc advantage in engine size, is capable of doing. Enjoy your ride, whatever it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts