GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TAXPAYERS SCREWED...AGAIN

"Former Rep. Bill Janklow, South Dakota Republican, was convicted and will do time for killing a motorcyclist in a collision last summer. But it’s taxpayers who will be picking up the tab...in more ways than one. Yes, taxpayers will foot the cost of room and board at Hotel Fed during Janklow’s incarceration, but thanks to a ruling this week by U.S. Attorney Tom Heffelfinger which declares Janklow was on duty at the time of the crash, federal taxpayers will also cough up the dough to pay for any civil damages in a wrongful death lawsuit filed against the former congressman. Heffelfinger’s decision replaces Janklow with the federal government as the defendant in that lawsuit.

Excuse me? How did federal taxpayers suddenly become responsible for a car crash by an individual at a rural intersection in the South Dakota? If Janklow killed the guy, why isn’t Janklow financially responsible for any civil damages? What’s wrong with this picture?"

Chuck Muth

It never ceases to amaze me what these bastards can get away with. If your in that state, raise hell. Craig

G

·
0 Posts
Totally agree with you but we've got nothing but lawyers and frivolous lawsuits to thank for it. Why would any self respecting lawyer go after someone making average job wages when they could go after an entire company? It's the ol' deep pocket rule. In this case, why go after Janklow when if you can prove he was on the clock you can go after all the millions in Federal Reserve?

G

·
0 Posts
just another example of how the screwy wheels of justice and politics work. The guy ( Janklow) is a vehicular murderer. :x

·
Registered
14 Posts
Everyone screwed

Everyone should complain, not just the people in that state. The federal government is being named the defendant, not just the state. I doubt that his job description requires him to drive over the speed limit and endanger the lives of other people on the road. This is turning into a "cover your friend's a&&" snowjob. What a disgrace!

·
Registered
174 Posts
bigc45 said:

Excuse me? How did federal taxpayers suddenly become responsible for a car crash by an individual at a rural intersection in the South Dakota?
Er, who makes the laws?? Politicians, right?

Whose butt do they make sure is covered first? Politicians, right?

Can't see why you'd be surprised.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
FlyTheWing said:
bigc45 said:

Excuse me? How did federal taxpayers suddenly become responsible for a car crash by an individual at a rural intersection in the South Dakota?
Er, who makes the laws?? Politicians, right?

Whose butt do they make sure is covered first? Politicians, right?

Can't see why you'd be surprised.
Who votes on their own pay raises???

·
Registered
560 Posts
Janklow

well you've several things wrong on this. 1st) He is in the county jail and not in federal lock up. He was also ordered to pay Fifty some dollars a day for his keep. 2nd) The victims family does not want this in federal court. The reason is that they can get only what they can prove they have lost financially. There lawyer is appealing it as we speak. They want to take this to trial in Minn. Sate court so they can then get punitive damages as well.

If your going to keep bitching about this tragedy how about getting the facts right. I am sure that a lot of you that are on the band wagon on this issue don't obey all the traffic laws all the time (speeding) I read about it on this web site quite a bit. I am also sure that we have all gone through stop signs by accident for one reason or another ( I have ) Tho he did it on purpose.

One more thing I AM NOT A JANKLOW FAN just tired of all the hypocritical
comments. Remember the next time you are speeding and you don't get get in an accident the old saying BY THE GRACE OF GOD GO I .

Dave

·
Registered
90 Posts
Janklow

ddub,
I have been reading these posts for a while, and I think that the state of South Dakota has been beaten up pretty bad. We are all held responsible for our own actions, or should be held responsible. Unfortunately, the rules are different for politicians, professional athletes, and hollywood stars. The situation with Janklow is that people are dead, and their families lives have changed forever. However, if you executed Janklow tomorrow, that still wouldn't change anything. Should he be held accountable? - yes. Does the punishment fit the crime? -no (My opinion) I don't think that South Dakota is any different than any other state. Seems I remember years ago a Senator in Mass. named Kennedy that had an accident.

:yw1:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts