GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I had this e-mail forwarded to me. If you wish to make a comment to the GWRRA International Directors of Rider Education concerning the obviously biased display at Wing Ding their e-mail is at the bottom of this post.

"Greetings to All,

Those of you that were at Wing Ding probably had the opportunity to view the display of the Car Tire cutaway and bike rim, vs the Bike Tire and Rim. It is amazing when you actually see the two tires inner components, thickness and the way it sets up in the bike rim.

Many of my fellow Valkyrie Riders, and some Goldwing Riders have gone to using Auto Tires on their rides. Saying that they get better mileage. I have one thing to say about that theory. Hogwash! When it comes to safety, I will gladly forego a few miles wear, than risk my life on using a tire that is ill suited for use on my motor.

The walls of the auto tire are far thinner, and the beading of the tire does not matchup with the rims of the bike, therefore exposing the rider to blowout due to loss of the seal.

I feel that Region F Educator Dave and Dee Gormley has introduced one of the most exciting and educational displays in the lengthy history of Rider Education. Dave has prepared cut always of a car tire being used on some bikes, along with a cut away rim. Next to the auto tire is a cutaway of a Bike tire and rim. It does not take long to see the vast
advantages of using a bike tire vs. the auto tire.

Dave has graciously offered to provide these displays to any Educator that would like to have one for use in educating the members as to the dangers of incorrect tire usage. While this is a lot of work for Dave, his dedication to safe riding has prompted him only to ask for reimbursement of postage to send the display to you.

If you would like to order a tire display please forward your request along with mailing address to me as Dave will be on vacation for a few weeks. Believe me, this display is a real eye opener.

Thanks"

The original e-mail was written by:

Gene and Betty Knutson
International Directors, Rider Education
Gold Wing Road Riders Association

e-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
All,

I had this e-mail forwarded to me. If you wish to make a comment to the GWRRA International Directors of Rider Education concerning the obviously biased display at Wing Ding their e-mail is at the bottom of this post.

"Greetings to All,

Those of you that were at Wing Ding probably had the opportunity to view the display of the Car Tire cutaway and bike rim, vs the Bike Tire and Rim. It is amazing when you actually see the two tires inner components, thickness and the way it sets up in the bike rim.

Many of my fellow Valkyrie Riders, and some Goldwing Riders have gone to using Auto Tires on their rides. Saying that they get better mileage. I have one thing to say about that theory. Hogwash! When it comes to safety, I will gladly forego a few miles wear, than risk my life on using a tire that is ill suited for use on my motor.

The walls of the auto tire are far thinner, and the beading of the tire does not matchup with the rims of the bike, therefore exposing the rider to blowout due to loss of the seal.

I feel that Region F Educator Dave and Dee Gormley has introduced one of the most exciting and educational displays in the lengthy history of Rider Education. Dave has prepared cut always of a car tire being used on some bikes, along with a cut away rim. Next to the auto tire is a cutaway of a Bike tire and rim. It does not take long to see the vast

Dave has graciously offered to provide these displays to any Educator that would like to have one for use in educating the members as to the dangers of incorrect tire usage. While this is a lot of work for Dave, his dedication to safe riding has prompted him only to ask for reimbursement of postage to send the display to you.

If you would like to order a tire display please forward your request along with mailing address to me as Dave will be on vacation for a few weeks. Believe me, this display is a real eye opener.

Thanks"

Gene and Betty Knutson

A pin-head is a pin-head no matter what kind of title they may have!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just don't get it..... my 195/55/16 rf kuhmo is spec'd for a 08 mini cooper which weighs in anywhere from 2,500 to ,2900lbs. that's at least 600lbs. of load on each individual tire depending on the weight split and possibly more. On my Goldwing it's at least 100lbs less. A mini can hold far more cargo and passengers than my Goldwing can so the weight load per tire goes up that much more. When cornering, the load on those sidewalls far exceeds what the Goldwing would put on it considering the tire isn't staying flat as on a car going around a corner. I do however find great amusement with a much thicker sidewall design is safer considering the weight limit loads on motorcycle tires versus car tires.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Gee another GWRRA saftey related item thats makes no sense at all LOL. Oh well another group of idiots that sit around the campfire and think of items they no nothing about to write articles about. Maybe they should get out and ride instead of hanging around with there hands out looking for money. I think as I have always done when it comes to anything the GWRRA has to say Throw it in the garbage LOl :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I saw the display. It was ridiculous. The CT was a NRF and was on a piece of deformed steel that didn't even resemble an 1800 wheel. :roll:

The GWRRA fell to the bottom of my respect list. What BS.

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
I found it very funny that the same table that had the tire display was auctioning off a trailer to pull behind a goldwing.

·
Registered
570 Posts
It is really sad when a National Organization make a statement/endorsement that is not based on any facts. Especially, in todays society of hungry lawyers looking for any kind of meat to sink their teeth into. It would be better for them to stay neutral and provide a comment that reflects that view point. They could spend their members dues on a lenghtly expert study. But they will not because they may not get the results they would like. This is also true of our following of the Darkside that we could not afford the cost of a long engineering study just to prove our own experiance. However, we have experiance with both sides and the vast majority of us will not return to the "MT" until a MT is developed that provide greater run flat technology and load capacity afforded us on a BMT of our choice. They can only speak of one sided experiance with not having tried the BMT.

It is really funny when I get customers in for tire replace and ask me what tire is best. They ask what tire I am running. At first I tell them I am not conventional in my choice of skins. I tell them the experiance of most of my customers and what I read on the net in terms of brand of tires with mileage and tire adhesion to the raod. Finally they want to see what I have on. I do not try and sell them on the Kuhmo but they always ask why - "That's not safe - How can you turn in the corner?" I just smile and tell them - "It is not for everyone but I will scape the pegs and most likely pull away from them on the twisties." I then ask what they want their tire to do and how they are going to ride. I then steer them to the MT they want and need.

I know this is long but I wish these non experianced "experts" would quit spreading disinformation on something they have no experiance to prove or disprove their opinions.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Same exact reply I got except I asked for pix . I asked again for a pix but he is giving me a hard time go figure :roll:
All,

"Greetings to All,

Thanks"

Gene and Betty Knutson

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
I may have to ride to see this display and take my own pix. If this is what it comes to,would one of my friends please come along with a good set of handcuffs for me when MtDew and cookies kick in ;)??

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
I may have to ride to see this display and take my own pix. If this is what it comes to,would one of my friends please come along with a good set of handcuffs for me when MtDew and cookies kick in ;)??
MtDew and cookies are OK.....Just watch the GWRRA Kool-Aid......That
stuff is dangerous.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
I do however find great amusement with a much thicker sidewall design is safer considering the weight limit loads on motorcycle tires versus car tires.
Yes and that's just one thing that I also find much amusement on this subject. How about steel belted, thicker bead steel, and or tread depth/water distribution?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rail32 if you do by some chance decide to come out this way I have a place for you to stay. I am a short 10 min (max) ride to the house of the creator of the display. He is also an active member of AZA and they meet on the 3rd Saturday of each month.

There are several DS riders here in Tucson and we can go for a ride up US 191. 100 miles of insane twisty's

Keep me posted my door is always open

Ride On!

Smitty

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Wonder how much pull the MT manufactures have with this type info being distributed? I mean, it would not be a good thing for them to have some organization endorse the use of a BMT.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Yes and that's just one thing that I also find much amusement on this subject. How about steel belted, thicker bead steel, and or tread depth/water distribution?
Plus the fact that they just plain work!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
All this bitching and moaning... how many of you have actually fired off an e-mail?

This is your chance to set the record straight and get a once and for all answer to ct being spooky dangerous yadda yadda yadda.

All I am saying is the official GW statement is wrong and we need to band together on this one and fire off some e-mails.

I will call corporate on Monday or Tuesday to see what's going on there.

I still want to see a pic of this clearly dangerous setup on display.

Oh and just in case... yeah, I have a ct too. I run in both worlds.

Now that I have said that, I have invited Mr. Knutson to join us here for an open discussion on the subject. Let's have a clean chat and see if we can educate Mr. Knutson. Below is the e-mail I just fired off.

Mr. Gene Knutson,

Please consider this an invitation to openly discuss your claims and statements in regards to the Wing Ding tire cutaway.

You have made some statements that are your view, but are not fact, and that should be remedied. Please join the discussion currently in progress:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3414498&posted=1#post3414498

I am providing my name and GWRRA number so you can verify my current status within the association. I would also like to point out that my mother and I are on the cover of the 2010 Gold Book. Bob and I were the ones who were flown out to Israel to help them get up to speed last year.

~Doug Roberts
GWRRA 271529

·
IronMan
17,798 Posts
its all about the money cycle magazine writer also wrote ct's are death wish do you really think they are going to bite the hand that feeds them nope - we all have choices i'll take ct good old usa !!!!!

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Rail32 if you do by some chance decide to come out this way I have a place for you to stay. I am a short 10 min (max) ride to the house of the creator of the display. He is also an active member of AZA and they meet on the 3rd Saturday of each month.

There are several DS riders here in Tucson and we can go for a ride up US 191. 100 miles of insane twisty's

Keep me posted my door is always open

Ride On!

Smitty
Be real careful what you wish for
All this bitching and moaning... how many of you have actually fired off an e-mail?

This is your chance to set the record straight and get a once and for all answer to ct being spooky dangerous yadda yadda yadda.

All I am saying is the official GW statement is wrong and we need to band together on this one and fire off some e-mails.

I will call corporate on Monday or Tuesday to see what's going on there.

I still want to see a pic of this clearly dangerous setup on display.

Oh and just in case... yeah, I have a ct too. I run in both worlds.

Now that I have said that, I have invited Mr. Knutson to join us here for an open discussion on the subject. Let's have a clean chat and see if we can educate Mr. Knutson. Below is the e-mail I just fired off.

Mr. Gene Knutson,

Please consider this an invitation to openly discuss your claims and statements in regards to the Wing Ding tire cutaway.

You have made some statements that are your view, but are not fact, and that should be remedied. Please join the discussion currently in progress:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3414498&posted=1#post3414498

I am providing my name and GWRRA number so you can verify my current status within the association. I would also like to point out that my mother and I are on the cover of the 2010 Gold Book. Bob and I were the ones who were flown out to Israel to help them get up to speed last year.

~Doug Roberts
GWRRA 271529
Hopefully you have more pull than the none that I have and get a decent response . All I want is a pix I really do not even want discussion. Good luck
its all about the money cycle magazine writer also wrote ct's are death wish do you really think they are going to bite the hand that feeds them nope - we all have choices i'll take ct good old usa !!!!!
yep that's how i see it ,as with most things these days

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
If GWRRA folks say it; then it must be true!

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
All of the salient points are pointed out in this thread...the flame fest just has a few more drops of gas applied by this letter from a "rider educator".

There's just no way that 'RA is going to be a proponent of the use of a non-standard tire on a bike; their potential liability in this regard is astounding!

Over a thousand of us alone here on this message board claim to have 'seen the light'.

So my question...ten thousand more words on this topic or a few good pictures...

"Who has photos?"

1 - 20 of 131 Posts