GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting my GL1800 MT ready for the 2020 riding season(s).
I want to replace my front tire, currently a Bridgestone BT45 Rear mounted in reverse.
Looking at replacement tires I am considering these two tires.
Bridgestone BT46 Rear (new model is replacing the BT45)
Avon Cobra Chrome Trike tire.
I have priced both at different locations and prices are brand similar with the Avon noticeably about $40-45 more expensive.
So my question is whether the Avon is worth the extra price....will the mileage average out to make it cost effective.
I do understand that different riders, different road surfaces, different riding styles make this a very subjective subject.
My riding style as I would rate it on a 1-5 scale would be about 3. I tend to stay close to the speed limit. The roads in my main riding area (east Tennessee) tend to be curvy and with some elevation changes. I ride mostly two up and I usually do about 12000 miles per year on the trike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went with the Cobra Trike tire, mileage so far is only about 1500 but i really like the handling. Contact patch is bigger but steering is not hampered. We'll see how long it lasts!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with the Cobra Trike tire, mileage so far is only about 1500 but i really like the handling. Contact patch is bigger but steering is not hampered. We'll see how long it lasts!
Thank you, hoping to find some useful mileage info to help with the decision. I've tried the Commander II, BT45, Avon AV71 and I'm thinking The BT46 is likely going to be my choice however the Avon advertising makes it seem a good choice also. But If I "only" get 12000 out of a tire, then the lesser cost tire would win my $$$.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I also use the Avon trike tire on my Roadsmith, and I have to say that it does do indeed do a good job, I just replaced my front tire (2nd Avon tire) B4 putting "Blacky" away for her long winter hibernation period.....along with all the other needed stuff that must be done...like: Oil/filter replaced, Radiator fluid replaced w/50/50 Honda mixture, spark plugs replaced, air filter replaced, ect.ect..
Ronnie

·
Registered
718 Posts
Walmart recently had the cobra trike tire for $84+ with free shipping.
I saw that Walmart deal a while back but had recently put my third Cobra Trike tire on my 2015 Roadsmith and really like the handling and smoothness. The BT45 was a good tire but beat my shoulders to death. Maybe If I'd only put 38 or 39 pounds (instead of 41 pounds) of air in them I'd have had more comfort but then the mileage probably would have suffered.

I've had an OEM front tire, a few Bridgestone BT45, 2 Cobra Trike Tires and now a Cobra Chrome trike. With my pretty aggressive riding style, the OEM went away in about 8300 miles, the Bridgestone last the longest (about 14500) and the two AVON Cobras made it to 11693 and 11588 respectively. So far the Cobra Chrome is doing well but too early to say what the life will be.

·
Registered
177 Posts
We like the handling, control, and basically just how it feels with the Avon Trike tire. Won't go back to anything else after having the Avon trike tire.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Just an FYI in case you wanted to know... The BT45 is a bias ply and the AV91 Cobra Chrome Trike tire is a radial...

·
Registered
958 Posts
Walmart recently had the cobra trike tire for $84+ with free shipping.
I got in on this deal and when my Michelin Pilot Activ is ready for replacement, the Cobra Chrome Trike tire will be going on.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an FYI in case you wanted to know... The BT45 is a bias ply and the AV91 Cobra Chrome Trike tire is a radial...
Yes it does state those in their tire descriptions.
As for me personally, I really don't think it matters much one way or the other. I've had both types on two wheels and three wheels and frankly I did not/do not notice a difference.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Having had both the BT-45 and Avon Cobra Trike tire, I feel that I can speak about my experience and personal preferences. I purchased the BT-45 because of it’s reputation for longevity, however, I never got to find out, because the ride was so bad ( there was a buzzing/vibration in my grips that drove me crazy), I swapped it out with the Avon within 3000 miles...I have been totally happy with the Avon, with nearly 15000 miles on it and still plenty of tread left! Having spent so much on my Goldwing, to me, saving a few dollars is certainly not worth the trade off in ride quality.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used Metzler 880, Dunlops, and Avon. I tried a Michelin Pilot Active and I believe I will stick with it. Really good prices and the handling is great. Put over 6000 on my current one and its not even showing any wear yet. I live and ride in East Tennessee. Have been from Maine to Texas and all around so far and love this tire.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts