GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to export a route I created in Tripplanner. I'm using Windows 7 OS. Although I have exported many trips in the past, every time I try now, the exported .gpx file only contains 2 kilobits, instead of the route which should be about 400 kilobits. This 2 kilobit file is being saved on my desktop, so it has nothing to do with the SD card or the Garmin folder. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm trying to export a route I created in Tripplanner. I'm using Windows 7 OS. Although I have exported many trips in the past, every time I try now, the exported .gpx file only contains 2 kilobits, instead of the route which should be about 400 kilobits. This 2 kilobit file is being saved on my desktop, so it has nothing to do with the SD card or the Garmin folder. What am I doing wrong?
You mean.... other than using Trip Planner??

Use BaseCamp or MapSource. Much better....

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean.... other than using Trip Planner??

Use BaseCamp or MapSource. Much better....

i've learned to deal with the other shortcomings of Tripplanner, but I'm asking for help because this feature has worked for me in the past. Am I doing something wrong, or does the program fail for everyone?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I used trip planner this weekend - For a route off Highway to NC -It loaded the trip but still routed me down the Highway (29) it would not default to the planned route - Until I stopped and reloaded the route (inputting) the end address and changing the route map de selecting the default settings in the Honda Gps from Highways. -Then it followed the loaded route.

If your Honda Gps is set for Highway only it will default to that no matter what - Could that be your problem as well -Remember it's honda fooked Gps so be prepared for anything :doorag:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think my problem has anything to do with the GPS, since I can't save the route on the desktop.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I don't think my problem has anything to do with the GPS, since I can't save the route on the desktop.
Have you rebooted your PC and tried to create the route and save it again?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked a friend to try to save a route on his computer and his did the same. Tripplanner sucks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you like Google maps then try this www.tourstart.org

Very easy to move routes, save, share, and download. It the only way I do it now.
Will this Tourstart.org work with the tripplanner card for our 2012 GPS? The problem I am getting is; I can downloand the trip to the card, I put it in the bike and I get a downloanded successfully BUT then I go to routes and it is not there. I can not find it anywhere. I have downloaded things in the past but nothing recently works. HELP Please!!!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Will this Tourstart.org work with the tripplanner card for our 2012 GPS? The problem I am getting is; I can downloand the trip to the card, I put it in the bike and I get a downloanded successfully BUT then I go to routes and it is not there. I can not find it anywhere. I have downloaded things in the past but nothing recently works. HELP Please!!!
Have you tried this? Put your tripplanner card in the pc (usb adapter) click start-Click computer - Locate the Usb drive open the folder (Garrmin) open the Folder (GPX) there will be a foler (achrive) - paste your saved (NAME.gpx) file to that part of the tripplanner card.

Load it in the GPS and it will find it or can search for it.:yes1:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you tried this? Put your tripplanner card in the pc (usb adapter) click start-Click computer - Locate the Usb drive open the folder (Garrmin) open the Folder (GPX) there will be a foler (achrive) - paste your saved (NAME.gpx) file to that part of the tripplanner card.

Load it in the GPS and it will find it or can search for it.:yes1:
I just went into my GPX file and the achrive file was not there, I have seen it in the past but today I only see two old files that would not download. Could I have deleted it some how and how do I get it back?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I just went into my GPX file and the achrive file was not there, I have seen it in the past but today I only see two old files that would not download. Could I have deleted it some how and how do I get it back?
TRY this make a (new Folder) rename it Achrive then paste your Route.gpx file under it load it in the bike gps and see what happens:?:

I deleted all the files in my trip card that where inside the Achrive folder and that had no effect. SO I don't think it matters

Paste your Route.gpx file under the achrive folder (NOT) in it

Going forward -When ever working on the SD card or the GPS SD CARD - Make a folder on your computer (my DOC's) named Honda trip Planner & one Org Honda GPS card - when you remove either card just copy the contents to the named folder before making any changes - That way you can always go back if need - the info in the archive file (under) for past trips will be saved on your PC for easy copy back -freeing up limited Honda GPS space. The Honda GPS will not make a Achrive folder from the unit. SO you making one might help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
TRY this make a (new Folder) rename it Achrive then paste your Route.gpx file under it load it in the bike gps and see what happens:?:

I deleted all the files in my trip card that where inside the Achrive folder and that had no effect. SO I don't think it matters

Paste your Route.gpx file under the achrive folder (NOT) in it

Going forward -When ever working on the SD card or the GPS SD CARD - Make a folder on your computer (my DOC's) named Honda trip Planner & one Org Honda GPS card - when you remove either card just copy the contents to the named folder before making any changes - That way you can always go back if need - the info in the archive file (under) for past trips will be saved on your PC for easy copy back -freeing up limited Honda GPS space. The Honda GPS will not make a Achrive folder from the unit. SO you making one might help.
Thank you so much for your help, I will make a new route and try all of this, your information makes some sence but I am not very computar savy so I will get a friend over with more experiance than I. I am leaving for the rest of the day but I may get back with you another day. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Thank you so much for your help, I will make a new route and try all of this, your information makes some sence but I am not very computar savy so I will get a friend over with more experiance than I. I am leaving for the rest of the day but I may get back with you another day. Thanks again.
Hope you can get it worked out

·
Registered
718 Posts
sent a PM, I am having the very same problem with my trip planner and went to the dealer with it and they could not figure it out. I download the GPX file on the card and when I install it in the bike it says files found and I click on install and it says successfully downloaded but it isn't anywhere to be found?????

Honda got involved also and for the last week we have been talking back and forth, they don't have an answer for this problem and at first told me my battery was bad and that was causing it, replaced battery at dealer and still no luck.

you are doing anything wrong we just have something going on with the units I think, i will keep you informed to what I find out.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?542945-Where-does-GPX-file-load-(really-need-help) I posted this about two weeks ago

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
sent a PM, I am having the very same problem with my trip planner and went to the dealer with it and they could not figure it out. I download the GPX file on the card and when I install it in the bike it says files found and I click on install and it says successfully downloaded but it isn't anywhere to be found?????

Honda got involved also and for the last week we have been talking back and forth, they don't have an answer for this problem and at first told me my battery was bad and that was causing it, replaced battery at dealer and still no luck.

you are doing anything wrong we just have something going on with the units I think, i will keep you informed to what I find out.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?542945-Where-does-GPX-file-load-(really-need-help) I posted this about two weeks ago
What Firmware and map load are you using?

·
Registered
718 Posts
What Firmware and map load are you using?
We have checked everything you can think of, the firmware is 2.5 because that is all Honda shows right now 2.8 isn't in their records even though it is there. We took the system you and held the reset button down and reinstalled the firmware and it did the same thing. (when I say I mean the service manager and myself).

I have tried downloading the trip in both Trip maker and Microsoft Streets and trips (which worked great in the past) and tried changing the name of the files many times, looking at the SD card and making sure the files are set up right but with the same results.

it started slowly with the route showing up once in a while but when I tried to load a new route the system wouldn't find it until it is where it is now (NOT SHOWING UP AT ALL).

I don't know how many use this function or how many just had problems and said I don't need this but would be interesting to know if anyone but us two are having problems.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
We have checked everything you can think of, the firmware is 2.5 because that is all Honda shows right now 2.8 isn't in their records even though it is there. We took the system you and held the reset button down and reinstalled the firmware and it did the same thing. (when I say I mean the service manager and myself).

I have tried downloading the trip in both Trip maker and Microsoft Streets and trips (which worked great in the past) and tried changing the name of the files many times, looking at the SD card and making sure the files are set up right but with the same results.

it started slowly with the route showing up once in a while but when I tried to load a new route the system wouldn't find it until it is where it is now (NOT SHOWING UP AT ALL).

I don't know how many use this function or how many just had problems and said I don't need this but would be interesting to know if anyone but us two are having problems.
2.8 can be found on the 2013 -2015 GW GPS -your dealer could copy it from one bike sitting on the floor. All they need to do is remove the GPS main SD Card -and Copy it to yours.

you may ask or PM me and I can email it to you if needed.

·
Registered
718 Posts
the problem with that is Honda looks at ANYTHING changed and says THIS IS THE REASON IT ISN'T WORKING. They tried to say my led lights were the reason then because I have another GPS on the handle bars and a cell phone hookup on the handle bars and so they say I am causing problems with other electronic devices on the bike????

Bottom line is the system should work like it is, it did work fine until a few months ago and now has stopped working and everything leans towards something going on with the unit itself but when you are dealing with a warranty item you are at the mercy of Honda:(

If I did put 2.8 in they would tell me thats the reason it isn't working end of story for warranty, but finding out someone else is having the exact problem I am having is interesting.....

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
the problem with that is Honda looks at ANYTHING changed and says THIS IS THE REASON IT ISN'T WORKING. They tried to say my led lights were the reason then because I have another GPS on the handle bars and a cell phone hookup on the handle bars and so they say I am causing problems with other electronic devices on the bike????

Bottom line is the system should work like it is, it did work fine until a few months ago and now has stopped working and everything leans towards something going on with the unit itself but when you are dealing with a warranty item you are at the mercy of Honda:(

If I did put 2.8 in they would tell me thats the reason it isn't working end of story for warranty, but finding out someone else is having the exact problem I am having is interesting.....
That's the reason I have the Org. Honda GPS SD Disk (in a Safe place) all the other updates (Garmin Maps & Firmware) are done on a Copy SD Card in my GPS -

Hope you can get it resolved :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts