GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The floorboards on this bike always start to look real ugly over time as the aluminum on them starts to pit and oxidize. Since my bike is still new and the aluminum parts of the floorboards aren't all oxidized yet, I decided to coat them with Everbrite Protectaclear like I did my wheels on my 09. I wiped them down with some denatured alcohol and simply wiped Protectaclear onto all the exposed aluminum parts.

I could have polished them first if I had wanted to go to that effort, and if you are trying to recover an older set that already looks rough, you probably would first want to work on them before you coat them.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that there are lots of other places on the bike with exposed aluminum and Everbrite Protectaclear is a great way to protect them and keep them looking good.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Fred, which kit did you get? Did you use the acid neutralizer? What application method did you use? Please elaborate.:bow:

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fred, which kit did you get? Did you use the acid neutralizer? What application method did you use? Please elaborate.:bow:
A couple years ago I bought the pint sized kit and had a lot left over even after doing two sets of wheels.

Since the floorboards were new, I didn't have to do any polishing on them, so I just wiped them off with denatured alcohol to remove any oil residue and then brushed on the Protectaclear and let it dry for about 30 minutes and reinstalled them.

You really only need the neutralizer if you have previously applied any polishing compound to them that is acid based.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts