GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to get more volume from the radio and headsets? I use a JM headset but sometimes it would be nice to have a little more volume. Soft music and voice can be difficult to hear clearly.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
You can add an amplifier. Electrical Connection sells some.
http://www.electricalconnection.com/audio/amp.htm

A cheaper fix might be to make sure the speakers are positioned exactly in front of the ears and pointed correctly as well. Think of it as fine tuning them. You would not believe the difference it makes. I am not saying you have not done this already, but if not, it is worth the effort.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It sounds like something might be wrong with your audio/radio. I have plenty of volume from my radio. Sometime with my iPod, I need a little more volume with the speakers but thats because the tune was recored with a very low input.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Take it off of mute, work every time for me, and believe me I've done it more than once.

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
Get an amp-its louder and clearer

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
ronbien said:
You can add an amplifier. Electrical Connection sells some.
http://www.electricalconnection.com/audio/amp.htm

A cheaper fix might be to make sure the speakers are positioned exactly in front of the ears and pointed correctly as well. Think of it as fine tuning them. You would not believe the difference it makes. I am not saying you have not done this already, but if not, it is worth the effort.
I second, third and even fourth Rons input about adjusting the helmet speaker positions.
I've built several headsets over the years (using hi-fi headset speakers)
and have been amazed at the performance
I've been able to get by "aligning" the positions to my ears.
I don't think the addition of Lewis's EC amplifier would be any benefit to your headset volume
as it only affects the speakers and not the headsets.
DC

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I used a gadget called a "Boosteroo" on my accessory plug for a while before I got a GPS with XM built in.It worked really well and was very easy on batteries.Not sure if it could be hooked into the Honda wiring.
I was suffering from lack of volume and finally noticed my mute button had been on for days.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
JR&JR said:
Take it off of mute, work every time for me, and believe me I've done it more than once.
The mute works on the headset?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I've got a 10% high frequency hearing loss and may be missing something in the sound system on my '06 GL1800.

The GL1800 certainly has plenty of volume but the tone quality adjustments leave a lot to be desired for me.

I hate to say this but my Harley Ultra Classic had a far superior sounding stereo than my 1800 does. if I could copy that sound quality I would be content.

Did I read correctly that my '06 GL1800 has 80 watts per channel or was I dreaming, or is it a total of 80 watts output.?

·
Registered
657 Posts
06 sound

The 06 has 80 watts per channel (X 4). Kikker you may not have the stereo adjusted right, because I have killer sound coming from my stock system. It all has to do with the proper setting of the ALC, ambience and putting the bass and treble at about the 85-90 % setting. Also adjusting the fader slightly more to the rear works wonders as well. Mute button, obviously has to be off and I run the volume (depending on the recording setting a song was put onto my IPod at) between 8-14.
Good luck.
Dennis

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mute

Yep, its the mute...please check

1 - 11 of 11 Posts