GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Tulsas new OEM-style replacement screen it states it is 3" wider at top and 1&1/2"wider at the bottom, How is this done when it still has to fit in the original fairing slot? Is it the same width as stock where it slides into fairing? How does the increased width affect clearance with full lock on the bars? I am considering their Plus 2" OEM replacement, comments welcome.

·
Registered
757 Posts
" On Tulsas new OEM-style replacement screen it states it is 3" wider at top and 1&1/2"wider at the bottom, How is this done when it still has to fit in the original fairing slot? Is it the same width as stock where it slides into fairing?"......Yes, it's the same width as the stock in the slides.
Doesn't effect H.B. lock to lock.

I just installed the + 4" with the vent today, and I noticed that there's now more space between my 2610 and W/S. ( with Jon's center of the dash mount ) I really like the looks of the W.S. It rained all day, so I haven't had it on the road yet.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I just installed the Tulsa +4, and love it. Makes a huge difference on those cold mornings. Still getting used to the "picture window" in front of me, but works great !

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
plus 4 here

i installed the plus 4 here works great.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I have the new OEM adjustable with a vent and like it pretty well so far. My wife says there is less shoulder buffeting because of the extra width. I'm still getting used to the looks, though. I don't think it looks as good as the OEM.

I learned you don't have to remove the mirrors to do the install. It's a bit tight, but doable.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Windshield plus-4

If a Tulsa OEM plus 4 replacement windshield is installed, then adjusted all the way down, it would be just a bit taller then the OEM windshield when the original is adjusted all the way up, correct? Then you would have a lot of height options available with the replacement. Am I thinking correctly?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Re: Windshield plus-4

JamesW said:
If a Tulsa OEM plus 4 replacement windshield is installed, then adjusted all the way down, it would be just a bit taller then the OEM windshield when the original is adjusted all the way up, correct? Then you would have a lot of height options available with the replacement. Am I thinking correctly?

Yep. My Clearview +4 is about the same.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Windbender!

Shorter than the Tulsa tall, but more effective at moving the air over the rider and passenger. I wish I had discovered this item two years ago!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The TULSA standard is not adjustable, it just fits in the same mount as the stock and gradually gets wider as you go up its length.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I was not wrong, why do you have to talk about people like this, I was speaking of the standard TULSA shields, NOT the OEM model which is New to the market. Can you not just say that the only Tula tha is adjustable is the OEM. JEEEEEEEEZ

·
Registered
43 Posts
Windbender!

Shorter than the Tulsa tall, but more effective at moving the air over the rider and passenger. I wish I had discovered this item two years ago!

Hey V-driver,

Which windbender do you have? ST or HP

Considering that shield & would like your imput.
Goodnews - I can't answer for V-driver but for myself, I've got the ST; in fact I've got an OEM and a dusty Tulsa Tall (see where this is going) also. My own experience with my Tulsa Tall was akin (I imagine) to plowing through the wind while riding in a vacuum. I know for some, at least those for whom the elements might limit their riding time, a dead? zone would be preferred. For my self I didn't want to ride in a bubble. I live in the Southwest and don't have to (get to) worry too much about inclement weather. Grumbles about the OEM are well documented; enough said. With the Windbender ST the first thing I noticed was the vaccum or bubble effect was gone... and so was the buffeting that made my eyes water and me squint. The obvious pressure differential was gone and I wasn't getting the blast of air that caused the eyes to water. I can't explain the physics but the experience is like driving a convertible with the air conditioning on. I know I'm on my wing, I know I'm going fast, and I'm know I'm enjoying the feel of a gentle breeze.
My suggestion is you call the guy at Windbender. I think he runs a small operation and would certainly take the time to answer your questions. He did with me. Good luck friend.
phone number is on the website:
http://www.firecreekacc.com/Windbender_HP.html

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
mudbug said:
I was not wrong, why do you have to talk about people like this, I was speaking of the standard TULSA shields, NOT the OEM model which is New to the market. Can you not just say that the only Tula tha is adjustable is the OEM. JEEEEEEEEZ
Hello my tall tulsa IS adjustable!!! I did not install it & dont know how or why it adjust....chuck..I purchased my 2001 in 02

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks Frostkerry,

I'm in for a windbender.

Was riding today (65 degrees in Ohio), so I decided to mark my windshield where the top of the ST would come to so I could imagine what a short shield would be like. I'm pretty sure I would enjoy/benefit from looking over the shield. The Tulsa I have is nice,but it's not for me. When I bought the bike it was the one thing I knew I would end up changing.

I will be contacting Firecreek.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My pleasure. I've enjoyed the difference and won't go back to a solid shield. The concept is so simple yet ingenious and it just works. I think you'll be pleased with your choice. Let us know what you think.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have a Diamond seat and my wife sits higher than me. She can see over my helmet and just over the top of my Tulsa tall. She likes that part, but the wind hits her right in the forehead and besides the beating of the wind, it sounds like riding without a shield.

Now, before someone says Mic-Mutes, or something similar, even with the I-com off, it sounds the same to her but not to me. She can't tell when I turn the I-com off and on.

Which sheild will make the wind go over her head?

Edit. Sorry, I just realized I hijacked your post. I didn't mean to, I was just needing info and got carried away. Again, sorry.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts