GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on my 3rd Zumo 550. Garmin has replaced each one with a new/refurbed one at no charge. Now I am having yet another problem and am about to give up on the Zumo.

Going down the road, selected route on the screen, listening to XM Radio and the unit just shuts off. Screen goes black, just as if I had powered down. I press the power button and the unit turns back on and picks up where it left off. This happened twice yesterday during our ride. It is REAL annoying.

I wonder if I might have a short in the cradle?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Mine does the same thing every so often. Just hit the reset buttons and away we go, till the next time, I'm on my second 550.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Battery.....

I have one of the first Zumo units and use it often. Only twice have I had the shut off problem you describe. Both times were battery problems. Ususlly the battery lasts a couple of years with moderate use. With the Zumo, when the battery stops working, the unit will not function. It has to have a functioning battery even if on DC power.

I don't know if they are sending you a new battery each time, but my guess is a bad battery or at the least bad battery contacts.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
I wonder if I might have a short in the cradle?
I would think that a bad cradle would still allow it to run on its battery countdown, just as it does when you turn off the power. I would focus on the battery as well.
Google the batteries, if you want to try it; 25-45 dollars.
Conversely, if you know someone else with a 550, trade batteries with them and make sure your contacts on the unit are clean.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry to hear you're having problems. Overall I'm very happy with my 550, going on 5 years now. I have had an intermittant shut down too, maybe once or twice a season. Just reset and go. Guess I never thought too much about it and forgot it until I saw this post. I run mine off DC all the time and my battery seems good when I operate the unit off the cradle. But I think I'll follow the advice and clean the battery contacts, never did that yet.

I do get a bit more frequent XM inop situations. But I just clean the contacts real well using some rubbing alchohol on the bottom of the 550 and the cradle pins and its all good again. Probably just a bit of dust or light corrosion over a period of time I suppose.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Perhaps it's time to move up to the 660! I've had mine for over a year and it runs perfectly! The bigger screen alone makes it worth upgrading! Problem solved . . . ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,464 Posts
Never had this happen. Have had to install the Computer program three times though because it becomes unusable on my computer for programing routes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts