GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this board and to the Wing. I just picked her up last night. My name is Len. I have been riding an 1800C VTX for the past 5 years and ran into this deal on a Wing that I just couldn't pass up. What an amazing machine!!!

Anyhow, they gave me $700 to spend on accessories and I have to turn in a list by this afternoon. My Wing has the Audio/Comfort package. I should appreciate it if you would recommend accessories that would give me the most bang for their buck.

I'm looking forward to making new friends here and thank you in advance for your help.

Oh yeah .... I'll get some pics up as soon as I get some batteries for the camera ... :oops:

:cool:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Welcome!

Back rest
Hiway pegs
An assortment of Baker air wings

Good luck

·
Registered
443 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your new Wing. The only things I've added to my bike are things to make it more functional. Chrome and graphics look nice, but they don't make your life on the bike any more comfortable or convenient. I've added heated grips, a "farkle shelf", wiring to integrate my IPod, CB, a second fuse block to accomodate the extra stuff I use on the bike, an inverter to charge my phone, IPod, Laptop, etc. You get the picture. Some go for looks, some for functionality. It is your Wing and you're the only one that has to be pleased with it. Make it yours.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Good morning to you and Welcome and also enjoy your new ride.

I used to live in Uniontown also --------------Maryland this is.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Welcome to the madness,OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
If you will be riding with other folks a CB will nice.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Off the list I would get the power port for the left fairings pocket and some fog lights. Also maybe carpet liners or soft luggage??? What are you thinking about getting?

·
Canuck
2,826 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Wing. I was born and raised in Mt.Morris Pa. I bought my first wing, a 2010, last summer and have added lights in the lower cowl, kury grips (2 piece over the OEM grips) power outlet in left pocket, MP3 player in rear trunk (Sierra) and a CB. Other than the CB the prices on the list you posted are really high as compared to purchasing from other sources. The mountains of WV are a lot of fun on a wing hope to see you on the road. :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Hi Len! Congrats and welcome to the forum!

If you're gonna ride 2-up, and have to choose from that list (which you DO), I'd choose passenger armrests and the headsets. They'll make riding for your passenger a lot more enjoyable!

For your first aftermarket accessory, I'd get the Utopia backrest.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Welcome. :congrats:

Get the CB installed and get it out of the way....the rest will be a little here and there as you find out what you want.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome. :congrats:

Get the CB installed and get it out of the way....the rest will be a little here and there as you find out what you want.
What all do you have to buy to install the cb? Are headsets included or are they extra. I pretty much ride by myself.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you will often ride with a passenger i recommend the Hondaline passenger armrests; and passenger volume control/push-to-talk switch. I also agree with the CB/antenna recommendation if you will be riding with others.

By the way there was a thread a week or so ago asking the very same question. You may want to look for it. There may be an idea that doesn't get repeated here.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Headsets are extra...J&M and Edsets seem to be the choices of most, but there are others available. Like any other audio equipment, you get what you pay for.

CB and antenna kit are all you need. All the buttons and switches are already on the bike....Plug N Play. Couple holes to drill to mount antenna and one to run the CB lead to wiring junction under seat. Don't be afraid to install it yourself as it gives you an opportunity to learn about your new bike. Plus there is unlimited information available here and maybe a new friend in your area that will help.

I too ride solo, but you will find many new riding buds with the wing. Once you get involved on this forum, participate in some of the Gatherings and other events, you will meet many good people that share the love of riding.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Get the CB.
Even if you ride by yourself now, the Wing will open up an entirely new group of friends that you may eventually be doing a lot of day trips with.
Although the CB is way overpriced on your list, not paying for it is a good thing. Do they install it also? If yes, even better. If not, there are instructions in the How To section of this board. Yes, you will need a headset and cords. Do some looking on this board for what seems to work good and what doesn't. If you are going to listen to the radio, I believe the best way is through a headset so, you may be buying one anyway.
If you decide that you really don't want the CB later, there is a big demand for used CB's and it will be easy to sell. Headsets also seem to be easy to sell. Most of the other items on the list can be purchase for a lot less $$$ than what they are listed for. Look at the web site for the sponsor of this board, WindStuff and a couple other stores to compare prices.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm new to this board and to the Wing. I just picked her up last night. My name is Len. I have been riding an 1800C VTX for the past 5 years and ran into this deal on a Wing that I just couldn't pass up. What an amazing machine!!!

Anyhow, they gave me $700 to spend on accessories and I have to turn in a list by this afternoon. My Wing has the Audio/Comfort package. I should appreciate it if you would recommend accessories that would give me the most bang for their buck.

I'm looking forward to making new friends here and thank you in advance for your help.

Oh yeah .... I'll get some pics up as soon as I get some batteries for the camera ... :oops:

:cool:
Welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy the Wing as the rest of us.
As far as options when I picked mine up I went with the fog lamps, arm rests for the boss, luggage rack, a couple of accesory plugs, ajustable floor boards again for the boss, and a trunk handle (it rounded the number off).

Safe riding!:congrats:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
$700.00 and welcome

Len, welcome. I suggest 2 sets of Bridge-

stone tires. :congrats: :doorag:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts