GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went over to see Mike Dozier at Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters today to get some new mesh pants and jackets for me and the wife. After lunch we take a run a short way up the Cherohala Skyway.

Tellico Plains decides it would be a good idea to have a horse drawn Wagon Train ride through town today about 2PM. This results in traffic coming down from the Skyway being stop and go out to Rt 68.

So we're crawling along between 0 and 10 mph and some jack ass on a Harley decides it's OK to ride beside me then pass me in the right hand part of the lane. So I yell "HEY, YA F*****G MORON - WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?"

The rest of the conversation went like this:

Moron:What did you call me?
Me: I don't appreciate being passed on the right in my lane.
Moron: Well then you don't know how to ride a bike.

We parted company before coming to blows.

Think I'm just gonna stay outta Tellico Plains for a while.:nojoke:

·
Registered
104 Posts
When I lived in that area, I learned to stay out of Tellico Plains on the horse poop days. Even if you avoid the caravan and the rude Harley guys, you still have to deal with way too many road apples.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
How did the moron get around the rest of the traffic that would be taking up an entire lane? Did he pass them on the shoulder?

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
0-10 mph...I would not have had a problem but thats just me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I see way too many idiots when I am riding. No matter how stupid their actions are, it is always someone else's fault when something happens.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Went over to see Mike Dozier at Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters today to get some new mesh pants and jackets for me and the wife. After lunch we take a run a short way up the Cherohala Skyway.

Tellico Plains decides it would be a good idea to have a horse drawn Wagon Train ride through town today about 2PM. This results in traffic coming down from the Skyway being stop and go out to Rt 68.

So we're crawling along between 0 and 10 mph and some jack ass on a Harley decides it's OK to ride beside me then pass me in the right hand part of the lane. So I yell "HEY, YA F*****G MORON - WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?"

Sad thing about this is that I had a Wing rider do the very same thing to me in Alamogordo, New Mexico, and I was going 35 which was the speed limit. I followed him to his stop and also gave him a piece of my mind. F'n Moron? Oh yes. Doesn't matter what they ride, an F'n Moron is a F'n Moron.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Riding in my dad's cage heading up highway 44 out of Redding. We come upon a slow moving truck hauling cattle. We start getting some slimy stuff on the windshield so dad backs off a ways. The guy on a sportser behind us was not excited about the pace and was tale gaiting while trying to find a way around us. Dad asked what would I do, and I told him to safely pull over and let him pass. He did at a spot that the sporster couldn't get around the cattle trailer for a few miles. :lol::tongue:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
So at basically a crawl he comes up on your right and your first reaction is to start cussing him out?
there might have been a "f''''''king moron" involved here but I don't think it was the guy on the Harley.
You're lucky you didn't get your lights punched out.:nojoke:

·
Registered
139 Posts
The more I read this, the more I believe the "Moron" was the one with the better sense in just letting it go and keeping going.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How did the moron get around the rest of the traffic that would be taking up an entire lane? Did he pass them on the shoulder?

That's the point - there wasn't anywhere to go. The guy just pushed past me on the right in my lane and ran up on the back end of the pick-up in front of me and stopped. When traffic started again I dropped back and started the "conversation".

There will certainly be those that disagree with my approach - but I think clearly communicating expectations is important even if somebody's feeling get hurt.
I also routinely wave people (cars and bikes) around if they're wanting to go faster that I am.

·
Registered
512 Posts
tnart,
sounds like you did ,,what you needed to do...
if i were in your shoes,,i would have went one better. i would have yelled at the bypasser/motorcyclist ( in this conversation going on) telling him i was gonna have queenie get off the back of the wing and come over there and sit on top of him.
300 lbs of raw woman sitting on top of him,,would have made him not want to pull this stunt a second time,,,,:lol:

take care,
bc

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
0-10 mph...I would not have had a problem but thats just me.
I wouldn't be happy with them, but I wouldn't get into a 'road rage' incident over it. Yelling/argument on the road IS road rage.

Personally, I wait until the rider in front of me has acknowledged me and knows of my intentions. If you weren't aware he was going to do that, then it was unsafe. You had the expectation that you had the entire lane, and could use it if necessary without needing to check next to you. Typically, the passing is on the left, and the front rider would move to the right, and wave me past. I don't think either of the riders handled the situation correctly, but I can appreciate you not wanting someone passing on your right unexpectedly.

·
Registered
610 Posts
if a bike catches up to me and there is a double yellow line or blind curves in the road. I will move over to the right side of my lane and wave the faster bike on around on my left, out of courtesy. By the same token, if I'm just putzing around I will pull over the first safe place I come to if there are more than 2 or 3 cars behind me and let them pass. But that's just the way I am. :shrug:
I will say I don't see any reason for cursing him out...just my two cents...

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Life is too short to get upset over such things.

Just be observant and let them go. Or if you see them coming, play a game with them, wobble all over the road, they will sit back there forever until that crazy drunken fool turns off. :lol:

I have had a group of crouch rockets pass me, some on the left , some on the right, I just hit the brakes ..........hard.........let them go, then dawdle on along.

Nothing and I mean nothing on the road upsets me. Just a thing, getting upset can cause you to have an accident. I just dismiss it as soon as it happens.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
That's the point - there wasn't anywhere to go. The guy just pushed past me on the right in my lane and ran up on the back end of the pick-up in front of me and stopped. When traffic started again I dropped back and started the "conversation".

There will certainly be those that disagree with my approach - but I think clearly communicating expectations is important even if somebody's feeling get hurt.
I also routinely wave people (cars and bikes) around if they're wanting to go faster that I am.
I am still puzzled by this. I assume there were vehicles behind you as well as in front of you? If that is the case then he had to have passed the vehicles behind you on the shoulder. So why did he come around you and then pull up behind the pick up and stop? Why did he not continue on down the shoulder as he had been in order to overtake you? What was so special about coming to a stop right in front of you behind the pick up?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

I'm with the Harley rider, I'd pass you too or anyone else that's blocking traffic.......you sound a little thin shinned to be riding!:shrug:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts