GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with a lady in Wendy's about trikes. She saw my pretty, red 2012 bike and said a friend had a trike, and this lady really liked it, but the friend's trike cost over $42,000! That just got me thinking and asking questions like these:

• How could a person build a much more affordable NEW 2012 trike?
  • What could this lady do to create an affordable USED Gold Wing trike?
  • What would be the MOST affordable, used, simple, non-Wing, smaller trike?

I guess I'm wondering about brands and costs. I'm not just thinking about the nice lady in Wendy's--I'm also thinking my wife might like a trike better than a bike (she loves it when I lean, but is a little timid about leaning over and falling down when she's riding).

Suggestions? Ideas? Comments?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Affordable trikes

IMHO the only way to obtain a more affordable 2012 trike would be to do the install yourself. As you may be aware, there are a couple of conversion companies that will sell a kit for self install, but, please be SURE you have the necessary skill sets involved in this process. Always remember, someones LIFE is riding on your work. I know there are many GL1500 used trikes available and for what seem to me to be reasonable prices. Again, only my opinion, but a GL1500 trike will do MOST of what a brand new GL1800 trike will do. Yes, I realize the 1500 is carburated, does not have quite the horsepower of the 1800, and is not the "Latest and greatest" but, they also do not require valve adjustments, have near bulletproof engines, and for some offer better ergonomics. I would very seriously look to a gently used 1500 Goldwing trike if I were in the market. Ride safe, Dave

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
A good used GL1500 as a trike.
A Goldwing with an outrigger wheel unit (Voyager,Trigg or Insta-trike)
A Sportster converted to a trike with a Frankenstein kit.
An Ice Bear 250cc Commuter trike

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
You can get a trike starting at the base price or a used one at a good price.
What makes the cost go up are the goodies you add to it.
I like accesories, so mine is expensive.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
$42,000 for a trike....WOW, the dealer must have put everything possible on it. I believe the more expensive trike kits are CSC and Hannigan. Loaded with a CB, floor boards, GPS, XM radio, whale tail, stop lights, heated grips and seat, etc, plus taxes you might get up to $42K, with NO discount.

You can buy a 2013 basic Motor Trike for less than $29K on eBay from Russelville, AR Honda...and loaded ones for $33-36K.

Some years ago (Sept. 2005) I had my Motor Trike kit installed with trunk mat, fender bras, painted with Honda paint (perfect after seven years) including taxes, out the door for $9050. I got a break on freight as the installer picked up three kits from Motor Trike in his own trailer and did not charge freight. I now have 65,000 miles on it and it runs great.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I was talking with a lady in Wendy's about trikes. She saw my pretty, red 2012 bike and said a friend had a trike, and this lady really liked it, but the friend's trike cost over $42,000! That just got me thinking and asking questions like these:

I guess I'm wondering about brands and costs. I'm not just thinking about the nice lady in Wendy's--I'm also thinking my wife might like a trike better than a bike (she loves it when I lean, but is a little timid about leaning over and falling down when she's riding).

Each manufacture posts their prices and for the most part, installers stick pretty close to those lists. As mentioned, there are lots of nice used out there. I have found that trikers take good care of their scoots and bargains are there...just look. 40 or 50,000 miles on a used Wing is not much as Wings go...big saving going used...JMHO

·
Registered
615 Posts
If a person HAS to have a NEW trike, then it will surely cost more than having a USED trike. With careful shopping and some patience not to mention being in the right place at the right time, there are more than several great deals on used Trikes out there. It took me almost a year to stumble onto the one I found -

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
You might want to check the used trikes at...

Tony's Trikes in Hazel Green, Alabama. I rode there with some friends and he had lots of the used Goldwing trikes and no I am not affilated with his business in any way.:doorag:

·
Registered
80 Posts
It does not take much to put $42k in a trike. My 2007 Nav-Comfort-ABS had a base $22k and with Honda options like CB, 6 Changer CD player and others came to around
$26k. Add the CSC Trike installed at factory and that was $14k with lots of options. Add a host of Kury stuff and a Garmin 550 with XM radio and you are over $42k before you know it.
Problem is the trikes de-value faster than a used car. I would be hard pressed to get $24k for it and I only have 20000 miles. Not that I am planning to sell it anytime soon.
Just my .02 cents.

S

·
0 Posts

Valk3 and STealth11 - I have less than $6k invested -total for the two. www.valk3.com

I am currently doing the Valk3 mod on my 2001 GL1800 and will have that one ready for spring. I expect less than $500 cash out of pocket and if I sell the crash bars and front wheel assembly the cost should drop to near zero.

The RT's ride much better / smoother than a spyder plus no failures or fires and have all the luggage capacity plus the added front storage. Front tires last well into the 70k mark and rear 50k as they are all standard radial car tires.

Steering is easy one handed and trikes are not effected by side winds like that standard Gl. Also I spend a good part of my riding time out on gravel and back country roads and these things handle great under those conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UynNpl_f2gg

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Valk3 and STealth11 - I have less than $6k invested -total for the two. www.valk3.com

I am currently doing the Valk3 mod on my 2001 GL1800 and will have that one ready for spring. I expect less than $500 cash out of pocket and if I sell the crash bars and front wheel assembly the cost should drop to near zero.

The RT's ride much better / smoother than a spyder plus no failures or fires and have all the luggage capacity plus the added front storage. Front tires last well into the 70k mark and rear 50k as they are all standard radial car tires.

Steering is easy one handed and trikes are not effected by side winds like that standard Gl. Also I spend a good part of my riding time out on gravel and back country roads and these things handle great under those conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UynNpl_f2gg
Neat!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts