GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a setting for my next "Gold Wings are Murder" novel. Last one was North Carolina. This time, my heroes are headed for South Carolina. So, what is the most beautiful, interesting, exotic, cool, fun, wild place they could go? I'm thinking of a town in the mountains somewhere because that's usually the best riding, but you tell me.

In SC, what should every biker see or do?
Famous roads?
Bike museum or track?

I'm just looking for ideas and suggestions.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'm looking for a setting for my next "Gold Wongs are Murder" novel. Last one was North Carolina. This time, my heroes are headed for South Carolina. So, what is the most beautiful, interesting, exotic, cool, fun, wild place they could go? I'm thinking of a town in the mountains somewhere because that's usually the best riding, but you tell me.

In SC, what should every biker see or do?
Famous roads?
Bike museum or track?

I'm just looking for ideas and suggestions.
Without a doubt....Charleston, SC. You can't get any better history of SC and beautiful views of that Harbor and Ocean off of Folly Bech, Isle of Palms, and Sullivan's Island.
And did I mention that the restaurant selection is one of the best in the WORLD?
P.S. :
Conde Nast has rated Chaleston for the last several years as the NUMBER 1 Tourist destination in the WORLD!!!

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Without a doubt....Charleston, SC. You can't get any better history of SC and beautiful views of that Harbor and Ocean off of Folly Bech, Isle of Palms, and Sullivan's Island.
And did I mention that the restaurant selection is one of the best in the WORLD?
P.S. :
Conde Nast has rated Chaleston for the last several years as the NUMBER 1 Tourist destination in the WORLD!!!

Charleston is a great town and has a lot of cool little suburb communities like Daniel Island and Mount Pleasant along with the ones you named.

BUT.....the motorcycle riding around there isn't too great. Personally....I'd pick Greenville as a better place for a motorcycle based story. It's got a pretty vibrant cultural district and you can be in the mountains in about an hour from there on a ride.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greenville is 2 hours away. Charleston is only 5 hours away. I thought it was further. Time for a road trip.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Walhalla is a small town with a German background at the foot of the mountains. Don't know about exciting things to do, but nice riding very close by. Pickens is a little farther East. It is also at the foot of the mountains with excellent riding nearby. Don't know exactly what you are looking for, but both are fairly close to Greenville to the west. Might want to check them out during your search. Clemson is in the same area if you want a college town as part of your story. My home town of Seneca is also in the same area. Just several choices to consider unless you are specifically looking for larger places.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Clemson is a nice college town with large lake. Lots of angles for plots.

Tallula Falls is just a small town near a state park of the same name.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Clemson is a nice college town with large lake. Lots of angles for plots.
Tallula Falls is just a small town near a state park of the same name.
Tallulah Falls and Tallulah Gorge State Park are in Georgia, not South Carolina.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,701 Posts
North, South Carolina.

Hope this helps to point you in the right direction!

Compose safely.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Beaufort is a nice town just outside of Parris Island where the Marines have bootcamp. Maybe able to work that into the plot.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
P.S. :
Be careful which streets you go down though. Many cobblestone streets that are not motorcycle friendly. Some are so bad you can barely walk on them or drive a car on them. I agree it is a beautiful city if you want to park it and walk.

Check out the towns along 28.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
North, South Carolina. Hope this helps to point you in the right direction!
Compose safely..
North, South Carolina confuses a lot of people. Nice little town, though.
I think it's about 90 miles southeast of Due West, SC. Lol!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Greenville, Greer, Clemson SC are all great areas. Riding is beautiful as we are only twenty to sixty minutes from great rides. Hell, my kids have moved out and we have a spare bedroom. Come on over and stay the weekend and explore the areas with us.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts