GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the same spirit of raw machismo that brought about such enlightened discourse on physics, and having reluctantly admitted that Black might not be the fastest (in direct sunlight), I am now laying claim to the most comfortable ride!
Reasons:
1) I have installed the plastic fairing wind deflectors that keep the cold air off, and direct the air on me in the summer. These were a big change, probably lost some gas mileage as I make a bigger hole in the wind.
a. Lower Smoked Cowl Deflector Set
b. Lower Wind Deflectors
c. Upper Wind Deflectors
2) I have installed the Honda heated grips. Never used them before and consider them on par with having a windshield.
3) I have installed the Corbin heated seats. What can I say, warm bum. It’s great.
4) I have installed an Irock 830 w/ 256 megs (about 5 cd’s max quality) for tunes.
5) I bought (due to all of you who responded to my inquiry) a J&M headset for the helmet.
6) Kuryakyn highway pegs.
7) Last but not least, I ride a new (and dare I say BLACK) Honda GoldWing. The worlds most comfortable land yacht ever built.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
RW,

You have just begun....LOL

Lots more "comfort" items out there...LOL

Not so sure about the Black being all that you claim, but one thing for sure, I am no one to argue with another mans point of view.

If you like it, I love it.

Bulldog

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Suggestions please!

BullDog, Anyone,
I’m interested in what other creature comforts I could add. I have the GPS, thinking about a cup holder but haven’t found the right one. I’m also considering the J&M Cell phone/Radar detector integration kit and adding radar & cell phone. Not sure what’s the best radar unit? Anyone have it and can offer experience? Probably get the dash mat for the radar.
Now understand BullDog, I’m an old fart who needs as much pain reduction when riding as is possible. Some amenities are just for the fun of it, because the technology is there, but others are for comfy cozy riding. Riding 300 to 400 in a day without undue pain in body parts. This is my goal so as to extend my riding (age) as long as possible.
Actually I lied; I’m a young man in an old mans body! Truth be told, I’m an old man in a really old mans body. Can anyone relate?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Rocket Wing said:
In the same spirit of raw machismo that brought about such enlightened discourse on physics, and having reluctantly admitted that Black might not be the fastest (in direct sunlight), I am now laying claim to the most comfortable ride!
I've already laid claim to that title. I challenge you to a comfort dual. Who can sit on their GL1800 for the longest without moving. [Interpret that any way you want It might have more to do with regularity than comfort.] :lol:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Re: Suggestions please!

Rocket Wing said:
Not sure what’s the best radar unit?
A friend of mine races in the SCCA circuit and as a side effect to this hobby, tends to drive a little fast on the highways as well. He went through mountains of research on radar detectors and came away with the impression that Valentine One is the best on the market. It makes it pricey as well, but they certainly stand behind their work.

Their website is here http://www.valentine1.com

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I wear a full face Arai helmet. The sun glare was killing my eyes.

Sunglasses and electrical tape on the face sheild helped but I needed a visor and finally found one i liked.

It attached easily to the visor and does NOT look dorky to me. At least now I can see clearly with the sun in front of me

http://www.super-visor.com/

·
Registered
21,049 Posts
Tony in AZ said:
I wear a full face Arai helmet. The sun glare was killing my eyes.

Sunglasses and electrical tape on the face sheild helped but I needed a visor and finally found one i liked.

It attached easily to the visor and does NOT look dorky to me. At least now I can see clearly with the sun in front of me

http://www.super-visor.com/

Hi Tony,
the visor has my interest but am wondering, can you still ride with the faceshield open without causeing problems? About 80% of my riding is done with the faceshield open. In the testimonials section on thier website many other questions were asked but I saw no answers. I am also wearing similar Arai fullface helmets. Looks like Supervisor might be the answer I have often been wishing for.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hey Rocket Wing, The most important creature comforts for me by far are good ear plugs and a good full face helmet. Don't go cheap here. All your wind deflectors make me wonder if you have ever tried a long ride with good ear plugs. Riding with much less noise keeps me from getting as tired. They make music and voice sound better. Just crank up volume a little. A nice side benefit is that the motorcycle sounds like it is running much better.
I run stock windscreen up one notch from bottom. My eyes are one to two inches above windscreen. No need to worry about looking thru bug or rain splattered windscreen. By the way, I also would not be near as happy on long days without my Russel Day Long seat or my Utopia backrest.
For you skeptics on ear plugs, I would challange you to buy a good pair and use them on a long (500 miles or so) day and then deceide.
Its also much better for your hearing in the long run.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JW,
You bet on the helmet. Looking at the flip ups. Use ear plugs with my other bike, a real ground pounder, 1600 RoadStar with Bub exhaust. It's 180 out from the Wing. Wonder about music with ear plugs?
RW

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
cycledude...... the visor attaches to the face shield. Raise the shield and the visor goes up too.

the visor causes me no problems with the shield up

·
Registered
385 Posts
Have to pee too often? There is even a device to solve that problem. It is called the EZ leaker (or easy leaker, or EZ leakr)). Kind of like a condom with a catheter coming out the end. Can use it with or without a bag. I'm afraid you'll have to tell me how it performs. If you use the one without the bag, make sure you ride at the back of the pack. Or don't let anyone know about it and casually mention the rain you ran through . . .

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Goliath

Worked as a nurse and I am very familiar with them. Can’t deal with the condom feel. My PP will forever remain free!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know how you guys feel about it, but I bought a piece of plastic used by the pilots for sun control. It sticks with static cling, and I cut a piece to fit inside the face shield just above eye level. When the sun hits I tip down a bit and look through the shaded portion, and when the shield is open one click for air it works great. Only down side is you need to run a finger over it from time to time, to make sure it's stuck good. I would hate it blowing loose inside the helmet.
:) Man I wish spring would come.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Extreme comfort

The Schuberth concept helmet is extremely quiet,
very comfortable and has a built in, pull down, sun shade,
in back of the face screen, similar to what you see on the
helmets of fighter pilots.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Airhawk - have not sat in a seat that it will not improve. You will not know the improvement in comfort until that last little bit before home when the squirming usually sets in. Simply forms the seat to you.
Ride long and safe. Bill

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Best investment so far for us OLD farts is a Throttle plate for $10. Slips on the right grip, and use the right wrist bone to hold the throttle. Relieves the finger stress of holding the grip. Gerbing coat second, like sitting in the living room at home, comfortable even in the 50's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts