GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, the wife and i are planning a week of riding in the Black Hills area the first week of July. We have never been in that area at all.I plan on staying in the Rapid City area, my wife says i'm too cheap to stay in Deadwood & i agree from what i have checked on.So my question for all of you that have been there or live there is i am looking for a place to stay that is reasonable priced , clean and safe to park the bike at nite. We don't need any frills just a place to sleep and shower. I like places that you can park the bike just outside the door but this is not a deal breaker. THANKS FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS,oh did i mention i am cheap!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Black hills motels

I will add to my post on the general forum. We have stayed at the Brookside in Keystone. This is another nice mom and pop motel for reasonable $ and it is still getting decent reviews. The Brookside is a little further from downtown but still a decent walk. +1 on the Red Garter. Don't miss the old Hill City road that goes west from the stoplight in Keystone. This road generally follows the 1880 train route and crosses the tracks several times.

If you stay in Custer at the Super 8, (or just passing through town) the Frontier bar is across the street and has good food and beverages. It looks like a hole in the wall kind of place but we are regulars there when we're in the hills. Custer also has fireworks for the 4th.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
We ride this area three to four times a year. Moon light is on the right track. If you are staying in Custer or Hot Springs there are several mom and pop hotels. >$$

This puts you right in the great riding in the Hills in 20 minutes instead of 45 minutes out of Rapid. It will also be cheaper! Dollar Inn and Hills Inn in Hot Springs are both good and cheaper.

Also, a big +1 on old Hill City/Keystone road. We take the ride out of Hill City. If you leave the 1880 train station at the same time as the train take a right out of the station parking lot right on the highway and right on the first street, you will follow the train and watch it go beside you for a half mile. Another quarter mile up the hill you can wait at the crossing and the train will pass within a few feet. (Ear plugs suggested) Do the same at the next 8-10 crossings ( the first couple take a little patience to wait for them) and then wait at each crossing with a smile and a wave. By the third or fourth crossing you will be making friends with kids, parents and grandparents alike. By the time you make Keystone, you will be taking pictures with your newfound "friends". Sounds hokey, but it has proved to be a great experience we don't miss whenever we are in the hills.

Reactions: gray red rider

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
We ride this area three to four times a year. Moon light is on the right track. If you are staying in Custer or Hot Springs there are several mom and pop hotels. >$$

This puts you right in the great riding in the Hills in 20 minutes instead of 45 minutes out of Rapid. It will also be cheaper! Dollar Inn and Hills Inn in Hot Springs are both good and cheaper.

Also, a big +1 on old Hill City/Keystone road. We take the ride out of Hill City. If you leave the 1880 train station at the same time as the train take a right out of the station parking lot right on the highway and right on the first street, you will follow the train and watch it go beside you for a half mile. Another quarter mile up the hill you can wait at the crossing and the train will pass within a few feet. (Ear plugs suggested) Do the same at the next 8-10 crossings ( the first couple take a little patience to wait for them) and then wait at each crossing with a smile and a wave. By the third or fourth crossing you will be making friends with kids, parents and grandparents alike. By the time you make Keystone, you will be taking pictures with your newfound "friends". Sounds hokey, but it has proved to be a great experience we don't miss whenever we are in the hills.

That sounds like fun to me as I am a railfan. Wish I had known about this in 2011 when my wife and I spent a week in Black Hills.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Check out the Trails Inn in Hill city about 80 bucks for the rooms just a block off of the main drag and good riding anyway you leave town. Nothing real fancy but nice and clean and you can park your bike at the door. Friendly mom and pop operation and biker friendly.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
That sounds like fun to me as I am a railfan. Wish I had known about this in 2011 when my wife and I spent a week in Black Hills.
If you are a rail fan, this is a MUST do!! It's phenomenal to feel the ground shake as the train goes by!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts