GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
I plan out my route and book motels along the way so I know I have a place to stay. BUT i look at the cancellation policy to be sure I can cancel without a fee if done on the day of the stay by 4PM. That way if I run into a problem I can bail
I'm finding fewer and fewer chains allow you to cancel the day of anymore. Might have to do with the location too?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Instead of google maps to find a motel, I may use google maps to see what towns are in the direction I'm heading but then use my Orbitz app to search for rooms. You can enter a town name to search for available rooms and then sort by price. It will tell you cancellation policies of each place. It will even show motels/hotels that are nearby your intended destination. It will show what amenities are available as well as a map of all the places that it finds in the area to make it easier to choose. And it will usually give you the best prices as well. There was one time I tried walking in to a place to book a room and was quoted a price that I thought was a bit high. I walked out and pulled up the Orbitz app and booked the room on the app at a cheaper price.

I am only mentioning Orbitz because it is the main one I use but there are other apps like Travelocity, TripAdvisor, etc...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I usually know my destination by lunch time so that is when I'll secure the room for that night. I always call the motel directly when making a reservation.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Instead of google maps to find a motel, I may use google maps to see what towns are in the direction I'm heading but then use my Orbitz app to search for rooms. You can enter a town name to search for available rooms and then sort by price. It will tell you cancellation policies of each place. It will even show motels/hotels that are nearby your intended destination. It will show what amenities are available as well as a map of all the places that it finds in the area to make it easier to choose. And it will usually give you the best prices as well. There was one time I tried walking in to a place to book a room and was quoted a price that I thought was a bit high. I walked out and pulled up the Orbitz app and booked the room on the app at a cheaper price.

I am only mentioning Orbitz because it is the main one I use but there are other apps like Travelocity, TripAdvisor, etc...
Trivago is the current “best in class” and shows the prices from all those mentioned above.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I plan out my rides before leaving the house. I have daily destinations that I must make. I will have a list of a couple of motels in the area that I want to stop for the night. The last thing I do before hitting the road for the day is call and make a reservation for the night. Has worked very well for me so far.

The only time that I ever just winged it was the time I went to Buffalo and Niagra Falls. I figured who is going to Buffalo at the end of August. I rode all the way out there only to find that the New York state Barr was being administered that very week end and there was not a room to be found. Some nice gentleman made a few calls for me and found literally the last room the city. I would have kept riding if Ihad to but I did get a room for the night.

·
Registered
646 Posts
--

I like the idea of just riding until several hours before wanting to quit for the day. However, I find that several things modify my plans. One is that before last summer, I was also of the mind that I wouldn't ride if I thought I was going to be in rain and would try to go around. But now, being a Westerner who rarely gets any rain at home, I find that as long as I have a dry covered area to put on full rain suit, then riding in the rain is a blast! I just love it, especially heavy stuff! I mean, it doesn't hurt the bike and in fact cleans off all the bugs.

Then there's New England. Yes, everything in New England is hilly and has trees and looks the same. Hard to plan for that area. I once stopped at a big parking lot to check the map and headed to the town I wanted. Two hours later realized I was going the wrong way. Checked the map and figured out how to triangulate to my destination and rode for two hours. Couldn't find the town so pulled into this large parking area. Thought it sure looked familiar. Well, it was the same one I left four hours and two hundred miles before! Good thing I hadn't booked a room to somewhere that took forever to get to. I have trouble figuring out New England.

--

41 - 48 of 48 Posts