GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I might try a motel at the Hoot for a couple of nights this year. I usually camp in the GSMNP and it makes it hard to get to Chilhowee Park early enough for the demo rides. On the Hoot brochure from HRCA it looks like Knights Inn is the cheapest at $55.95. Any suggestions or warnings on motels for the Hoot? It might be a good idea to make reservations in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've never stayed at Knights Inn generally not in the best areas of a city. In Knoxville I would stay at a motel located on or near Merchant Dr or any place north of Merchant. Decent area, a lot of motels, lots of restuarants and within 5 miles of the Hoot.
Randy F

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have had great luck with priceline.com

you cant actually pick the name of the hotel

but you can pick the area and quality

recently i made a 10 day trip and stayed every night useing priceline

all hotels were 3 or 4 star hotels and paid less than $ 50 with tax for every one, some were holiday in , some sheraton, and a courtyard.

a better room at a better price--simple

loren

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Extended Stay America is a nice alternative if you plan to stay for several days. A week is only $239. The rooms have kitchens, a Lazy-boy recliner, and they have laundry facilities on site.

Although the two ESA's in Knoxville are over on the west side of town, Chilhowee Park is still only 10-15 minutes away. The one that I've stayed at for three years (Cedar Bluff) shows that they still have rooms available for $239 a week. That's only $34 a day, for a suite.

The other ESA, West Hills, is $269 a week, and has a swimming pool. I never have time for a pool though...

I reserved my room late last year, and got it for $219, which is a little over $31 a day.

http://www.extendedstay.com

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Bad Bad Bad Red Carpet Inn I40 Exit 390

You definitely do NOT want to stay at the Red Carpet Inn at 1500 Cherry St. Exit 390 off I40.

It is very close to Chilihowee park. It is very inexpensive.

It is also a DUMP.

The help also are very RUDE particularly to women.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Motels

I live about an hour from Knoxville. All the hotels on the west end of town are pretty nice. West Hills, Cedar Bluff, Campbell Station Rd all have nice hotels right off of I-40 about 15 min from Chilhowee.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The west side of Knoxville is not a good idea, you have to ride through Knoxville's terrible traffic to get to the park, or take the loop around the long way, bad news all around. The park is on the east side, the best areas to stay are either north or east side, I have been staying on Merchant Drive up north, it's not too far away and you take a loop around and miss the majority of the traffic, the loop takes you to I-40 just about a mile east of the park. There are a lot of riders staying at motels on the north side at Merchant Drive, there are several motels and restaurants in that immediate area, Days Inn, Sleep Inn, Comfort Inn etc.

Every year we hear guys complaining about Knoxvilles traffic, those are usually the guys staying on the west side of town.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm staying at the Super 8 off Merchant drive; they have a fairly low rate for the Hoot. They still had rooms left when I called last Friday.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hoot Lodging

I'm staying for the 2nd year at Baymont Suites, 865-633-5100, 7210 Saddle Rack St. Just North of the park 2 exits, easy off & easy on. 7.7 miles north on I-40.

Good Luck,

VA-Deano

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Wingman26 said:
The west side of Knoxville is not a good idea, you have to ride through Knoxville's terrible traffic to get to the park, or take the loop around the long way, bad news all around.
It's not this bad... Every year but one, I've stayed out on the west side, and we've had little problem getting over to the park. If the interstate starts backing up, get off of it in the downtown area and take Magnolia Ave. the rest of the way to the park. Simple enough.

Taking the loop to get to the park from the west side of town? That's the oddest thing that I heard of in a long time. Nothing like taking the looonnnggg way around.

Use a little common sense, and the Knoxville traffic is not that bad. Here's the biggest issue... Think ahead as to when you want to travel. Sure, the traffic is bad during the morning commute and during rush hour... Guess what? It is a major metro area, and there will be some traffic during the commute hours...

·
Registered
47 Posts
There's a number of hotels at Strawberry Plains Pike and I-40 which is on the side of town where you'll want to be to avoid the traffic. We stayed at one there a couple of years ago and it was very convenient.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I Go There Often...

Since I have family north of Knoxville, I go there often and have also attended the last 3 Hoots. I was raised in Fountain City (North Knoxville) and used to own a house in Maynardville (North of Knoxville and along one of the rides for the Hoot). Anyway, here's the deal....

East - Strawberry Plains and such off I-40. Not a bad area now. Has some decent hotels and the Honda dealer (if you need them) is right off Exit 407. Convenient to Chilhowee Park. Easy access to the Welcome Party at the Marriott if you stay on I-40 West and don't get on I-640 West.

North - I-75 has lots of hotels at the Merchants Road exit. A mile further is Callahan Road and a mile more is Emory Road. All of them have a decent number of hotels, with Merchants Road having the most. (I'm staying at the Quality Inn off the Callahan Road exit.)

West - I-40 west of Knoxville has a lot of hotels along the way, but the truck traffic on I-40 is very heavy and there are a few truck stops out that way, so it is busy. (Make that VERY busy.) The "Tech Corridor" for Knoxville is out that way, so there is lots of traffic. It is a good area, though. I can't say it's not.

South - Nothing significant. About the only thing you find south (along US441) is businesses and residential stuff till you get close to Sevierville.

**To those that are retired military, check into Government Rates. Sometimes they are lower. I don't know if all hotels honor a retirees ID card, but I do know that the Choice group (Comfort Inn, Quality Inn, Sleep Inn, Clarion, etc.) does. (Just something to keep in mind.)

Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts