GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved my Motoport/Cycleport pants today. Armor and Kevlar. Made very heavy duty. Took them for a short trial tonight. 54 degrees here, they were warm (had liner in). The jacket and gloves are coming soon. Anyone using these? I am practicing the saying "it is better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them."

http://www.motoport.com/

Bill in the U.P.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Bill,

I have the 3/4 length kevlar mesh jacket. I like it but it is heavy and HOT here in FL, especially in the summer, and pretty stiff even after a couple of washings. I'm more than a bit on the heavy side and the arms are a little tight.

That said, any time I ride more than around town, the Motoport is on because I think it will do the best job of keeping me safe if I go down.

Been holding off getting the pants because I have problems with fitting pants. Got Dad's belly and Mom's butt so I'm shaped a little oddly.

Jeff

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff,

I know what you mean. Spent the last year and a half pounding it out at the YMCA to get this body to be able to fit a 3XL. At my age, I have resigned myself to this being a "for ever" activity if I want to find clothes or more importantly stay out of a wheel chair. :cry:

Bill in the U.P.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Bill I have the pants and jacket and wear them almost all the time here in Fla. I would rater dress for the slide than dress for style. Wash them a few times and put them in the dryer NO HEAT with a pair of tennis shoes and let them run awhile, this will help soften them up but the will still be kinda stiff. In the summer I wear either nothing or a pair of boxer shorts on under the pants and fair ok.

I slid one time years ago, wasnt planning on a siide either, and it wasnt fun

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have had my Kevlar jacket and pants for just over a year now. I ride approx 9 months of the year here in Nova Scotia so I see all the temps. The lowest is approx 25 F with a 70 mph chill factor. I have kept warm without an electric vest during this and at 90 F, I can feel cool air inside my jacket when I am moving. The rain liners have kept me dry in some good downpours. Overall, I am very impressed with this gear and so is my wife. She has a complete set as well.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Have had the 3/4 mesh jacket and pants for several years. I have every reason to believe that this is the best gear you can buy. Nothing else is a full Kevlar garment. Sometimes a little hot - but only a little and I won't saddle up unless I am wearing all the gear. Get a good cooling vest and it will make it pleasurable. I got mine at http://www.50degree.com a little more money. A lot more cooling capacity that what a lot seems to pass around here..

You are well advised to get the pants to protect your legs, to match the protection you get with the jacket. Anything less is a half measure and self defeating. If you want to loosen the gear up a bit, just throw it in a washing machine armor and all and then put it in a large commerical dryer with NO HEAT, and let it tumble for awhile. Kind of breaks it in for you. NO HEAT in the dryer. They have Kevlar gloves and I am looking into that. The motoport stuff is about the same $ as an Aerostich (in fact, maybe a little more) - but quite a different product than the Aerostich, and worth every penny in my always not so humble opinion.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Bill,

I wear motoport mesh kevlar jacket and pants all the time, even when it's hot. I concur with all the opinions above. I've had mine for about two years now. It's holding up well.

The protection is worth it to me. Enjoy your new stuff.

Ride safe all.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
My wife and I have had our Cycleport gear for over three years now.

It is very comfortable and frankly I really do feel safe when riding.

Looking forward to the day when I have to get a new set due to a tremendous weight loss. (Fingers crossed LOL)

·
Registered
453 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I have a question. I have the Ultra 2 mesh jacket, and the breast armor riides up as I ride. Is this normal? I have only had the jacket (more like a coat) a couple of weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts