GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating for some time now on whether to get Motoport riding gear and I still haven't pulled the trigger. For me, it's hard to spend that much money for something I can't try on first.

For those who bought them, do you have any regrets what so ever? Do they weight too much to be used regularly? Too bulky? Anything?

Has anyone bought them and turned around and sold them for any reason?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I have a Motoport Kevlar mesh two piece suit in hi-vis. Motoport custom fits the gear and I find it very comfortable. I wear it year round. I wore the jacket a couple of times without the outerpants and regretted not wearing the pants. The outerpants keep my jeans from riding up and strangling my testicles. This time of year when it gets chilly, I wear a Gerbings heated jacket liner under the gear and a Carhartt rain shell/windbreaker over the gear. The mesh layer becomes a layer of insulation and I can ride anytime. Motoport gear is expensive. I did a lot of research before buying it and now that i've had it for a few years i have no regrets and i highly recommend it. Other Motoport kevlar users have complained about the gear scratching the plastic. It does. I put some stick-on protectors over the plastic. Besides, I rather have scratched plastic than road rash.

i need to add - I've been a firefighter for over 36 years. Our protective gear is custom fitted Nomex/Kevlar and very expensive. I wouldn't think of running into a burning building without the best possible protection. I've taken a similar attitude with riding my motorcycle and I'm not into what other people may think about how I look.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I have wore Motoport gear for two years and I love it. I purchased both my pants and jacket used. I had a local tailor custom fit my jacket, in addition I purchased a used set for my wife and had the same tailor fitvher gear also. Motogear quoted me $250 for the tailor work and I paid $65 local. Anyway buy used if possible, check Ebay and Craigslist.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have a Motoport Kevlar mesh two piece suit in hi-vis. Motoport custom fits the gear and I find it very comfortable. I wear it year round. I wore the jacket a couple of times without the outerpants and regretted not wearing the pants. The outerpants keep my jeans from riding up and strangling my testicles. This time of year when it gets chilly, I wear a Gerbings heated jacket liner under the gear and a Carhartt rain shell/windbreaker over the gear. The mesh layer becomes a layer of insulation and I can ride anytime. Motoport gear is expensive. I did a lot of research before buying it and now that i've had it for a few years i have no regrets and i highly recommend it. Other Motoport kevlar users have complained about the gear scratching the plastic. It does. I put some stick-on protectors over the plastic. Besides, I rather have scratched plastic than road rash.

i need to add - I've been a firefighter for over 36 years. Our protective gear is custom fitted Nomex/Kevlar and very expensive. I wouldn't think of running into a burning building without the best possible protection. I've taken a similar attitude with riding my motorcycle and I'm not into what other people may think about how I look.
Looks don't save lives.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I have two Motoport riding suits, one Kelvar mesh the other stretch Kelvar. I'm about as ATGATT as you can be and the only other riding suit I would use would be a Roadcrafter. I would not worry too much about trying the suit on before buying, each suit is made to fit. My first one was ordered over the phone the second one was done in person, they both fit. The Kelvar mesh is very thick and stiff with the armor added it can be a little bulky but not uncomfortably so, the stretch Kelvar is less bulky. Hot, cold, in between, it makes no never mind if the bike moves under power I have a Motorport riding suit on, combined with magic underwear and sometimes electrics I'm always comfortable on the bike. As and aside, 95% of the time I will wear the stretch Kelvar as it is the most flexible (comfort over a greater range of temps i.e. from the low teens to 120F), the mesh is optimal over a much narrower range of temps (65F to 85F).

I'm sure you can find someone or even several someones who for whatever reason did not like their Motoport suit but I also expect the vast majority are satisfied and will or would buy again. BTW, you can find a few folks that don't like apple pie and mom as well.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Looks don't save lives.
You know your "right" _:bow:__I have a good friend that rides but will not wear "high Viz" because it doesn't make him look cool.
I started wearing high viz jacket(s) last year and will not ride one mile w/o it on, anybody can make all the commits they want..{I look like a bumble bee etc.etc.} .BUT if my jacket, prevent me from just one accident , it was worth all money and trouble purchasing it...not only that but I think it does make me look cool..I don't follow the Harley crowds...:nojoke:
:nojoke:
Ronnie

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have had my Motoport for 5 years and so has my Wife, We never ride without it and will wear nothing else. I am considering buy a second set this winter. It is the best gear I have ever owned or worn.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this.

I have, both, MotoPort gear and a Roadcrafter. I went to San Diego and was fitted for the MotoPort...order the Roadcrafter over the phone...both are a decent fit. If I had it to do over again, I would order a second Roadcrafter. The MotoPort gear is okay some of the time but the Roadcrafter is okay most of the time. Cost-wise, they were about the same but I get a lot more utilization out of the Roadcrafter. The Motoport gear will shed water (without the rain liner) for a short rain but the Roadcrafter is good in a day-long (week-long) rain and I don't have to stop to re-configure my gear when the rain starts....just keep truckin'. The Motoport has no stretch or give as you would imagine with Kevlar so by the time you put on an insulated liner and a rain liner, the suit is too full for my liking and hard to get on and off. If you buy big enough to accomodate the liners, it would be a sloppy fit without the liners. I tend to wear the MotoPort in the 90+ degree range and the Roadcrafter for everything else. You can see through the MotoPort mesh gear but when you consider the pads in the gear, you don't get much ventilation through it. On a Wing (with frontal protection) you don't get a heck of a lot of ventilation in the Roadcrafter either. The Roadcrafter is much easier to put on or take off (resturants, etc.).

I wish Aerostich made a Roadcrafter out of Kevlar which would be the best of both worlds but until then, Roadcrafter is number one with MotoPort in second to me. I look sexy as hell in the MotoPort gear but still have no trouble beating the women off. Not saying I don't like the MotoPort gear...just don't get to use it as much. Kind of expensive for fair weather use only. YMMV

Z

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I have the Motoport kevlar mesh pants. A little bulky but all padded protective pants are bulky. I was very satisfied with the fit but I've lost 50 pounds in the past 6 months so they are too big. I may send them back for alteration, 69 to 99 dollars according to Wayne at Motoport. No regrets.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this.

I have, both, MotoPort gear and a Roadcrafter. I went to San Diego and was fitted for the MotoPort...order the Roadcrafter over the phone...both are a decent fit. If I had it to do over again, I would order a second Roadcrafter. The MotoPort gear is okay some of the time but the Roadcrafter is okay most of the time. Cost-wise, they were about the same but I get a lot more utilization out of the Roadcrafter. The Motoport gear will shed water (without the rain liner) for a short rain but the Roadcrafter is good in a day-long (week-long) rain and I don't have to stop to re-configure my gear when the rain starts....just keep truckin'. The Motoport has no stretch or give as you would imagine with Kevlar so by the time you put on an insulated liner and a rain liner, the suit is too full for my liking and hard to get on and off. If you buy big enough to accomodate the liners, it would be a sloppy fit without the liners. I tend to wear the MotoPort in the 90+ degree range and the Roadcrafter for everything else. You can see through the MotoPort mesh gear but when you consider the pads in the gear, you don't get much ventilation through it. On a Wing (with frontal protection) you don't get a heck of a lot of ventilation in the Roadcrafter either. The Roadcrafter is much easier to put on or take off (resturants, etc.).

I wish Aerostich made a Roadcrafter out of Kevlar which would be the best of both worlds but until then, Roadcrafter is number one with MotoPort in second to me. I look sexy as hell in the MotoPort gear but still have no trouble beating the women off. Not saying I don't like the MotoPort gear...just don't get to use it as much. Kind of expensive for fair weather use only. YMMV

Z
I appreciate your post and would never flame you.

I have a two piece Motoport and had to decide between it and the Roadcrafter. My final decision came down to how well I thought the Motoport would hold up in the event of an accident. I understand COMPLETELY what you mean by the ease of in and out of the suits. The Motoport, especially the pants, are easily among the easiest to get on and off. The liners can be a bit of a pain but you really have three choices, ride without a liner, ride with the liner in the jacket but not attached or attach it to the jacket. Once attached it is easy to get on and off and doesn't feel like a separate garment. In the spring I suspect that I will unzip the liner and wear it in the morning and not wear it in the evening.

I have had the opportunity to wear the Motoport in the rain for several hours this winter. It does a good job of repelling water. But it is not perfect. I do not trust anything in the pockets to stay dry. I have the EMERGENCY INFO pocket on my shoulder and the paper inside of it became wet. So I leaned my lesson and laminated the paper.

If I was doing a lot less commuting and more touring I would go with the Aerostich. But since I primarily commute in So Cal traffic I am more concerned with the protection.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I cannot comment either way on any of the kevlar suits or custom gear.

I purchased an inexpensive 2-pc rain suit from them years ago. I attempted to return it, due to it wasn't what I was expecting in either material weight or wind-resistance qualities... they were offering a "no questions asked" return policy back then. Well, my opinion was WRONG according to the owner, and I had to argue it out with him to accept the return for credit. He finally relented, and all worked out ok. Motoport DOES have an attitude concerning their products, so for ME it was better from that point on to only purchase gear I could first try on. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
This is where I get my gear from. Everything is custom made in Calgary and it is not cheap!!

http://cse-limited.com/products/

As I also ride a peddle bike to work. I have the jacket and pants in black with the high vis while strips and without the LEO markings.

Jacket
http://cse-limited.com/products/6406/
and pants
http://cse-limited.com/products/5016-3/

The girls and guys who live 12 hours per day on their Moutian Bikes and Motorcycle gear, love them.
The MC Jackets and pants are constructed with Schoeller® Keprotec-Kevlar® fabric fall rated at 80 Km/hr.

Rick

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Make your choice, Aerostich or Motoport, and you will not regret it. Both offer outstanding products.

I have a Motoport mesh kevlar jacket with rain and insulated liners and love it. I prefer it in temps above 40°. I also have an Aerostich Darien and AD1 pants which are high quality products also. The Darien jacket is bulkier and less comfortable but is my choice in temps below 40°. In the interest of full disclosure, I have worn the Motoport jacket much more than the Darien and it is better "broken in" for my body. The Darien will improve with age and wearing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The first time I put on my Motoport stretch Kevlar gear I was renting a Wing 2500 miles from home. I had it shipped from the manufacturer directly to the rental outfit and althought that may not have been the best decision I ever made, it fit fine. I wear it every time I ride, and I commute daily with occasional trips. It's taken me from 25 to 105 degrees although I must say it sure gets toasty behind the fairing on a humid summer day when stopped. I'm thinking of getting a Motoport mesh Kevlar jacket for those days. So far this winter it's been warm enough that a heated jacket and gloves are all I need for my commute. Longer distances on the slab I add long underwear and heated socks and I'm good down to freezing. I haven't needed more than that this winter (or "winter"...). The liners work well enough in the rain but I do recommend over-gloves because my experience is that waterproof gloves aren't.

They have a lot of padding/armor, so much that I can't fold it up and stuff it in the bags or trunk.

Before I bought the Motoport I tried several times to get a Roadcrafter to fit, I think I went through 3 different trials but they all felt "wrong" and I didn't have any confidence that alterations would fix that. Plus getting the zipper started at the throat was near impossible for me. YMMV.

I just bought mine last April and if I had to do it over, I wouldn't change a thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had a Motoport jacket for about 5 years - It has held up well, It's comfortable, big enough to layer up for warmth, etc. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
I haven't "tested" it, but it is put together really well, and has quality armor. I can't speak to the aerostitch, but I'm sure they are of excellent quality also.
Ultimately, the purpose of the stuff is to protect you in a fall while being comfortable so that you won't think not to put it on all the time. ( I was hit at a stopsign a
couple miles from my house running a "quick" errand - didnt need the gear, but glad it was on ).
I believe in the saying - If your gonna ride, don't dress for the beach. Trust - landing on asphalt at any speed hurts like hell, so whatever you do - dont cheap out.
If you can afford a motorcycle like a gold wing, a couple hundred for riding gear that you'll get a decade of use out of shouldn't be too much of an expense.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
My wife and I each have a Ultra II Kevlar jacket and pants set, custom built to our measurements. They were, in my opinion, the worst (most costly) mistake I have yet to make in a motorcycle related purchase. I'll try to summarize why.

• Custom suit measurement instructions were vague and when I asked for an illustration of the measurement instructions, I felt belittled and told to "read" the text instructions.
  • The arms on my wife's suit were about 3" to short. I was told that we measured wrong (note above) and we had to pay the shipping to send it back for alterations.
  • First day wearing the jacket I got hit from behind on the highway. The jacket was damaged nd I sent it back to Motoport with clear instructions to repair it to "like new" condition as the insurance was repaying the cost. Motorport sent it back, without prior discussion, only partially repaired. They said it would cost more to repair than replace so they chose to leave all the non-critical cosmetic blemishes. When contacted and asked about this they refused to replace the jacket with charging again (on top of the repair) and the insurance company would not pay for both a replacement and repair. I now have a jacket that l looks battle proven and worn. My dealings with the guy from Motoport (owner or manager) did not leave me with the worm fuzzy feeling that my approximately $2500 purchase from them deserved.
  • The repair took place during the winter season and in the spring I used the suit on an Alaskan trip. I found the pants caused cosmetic abrasions to the clear coat on the false tank where the inside of my thighs rub. I have since had to cover that area with some no-scuff pads, covering the dulled finish area.
I also had some seat cover damage that I feel was from the pants but I cannot know for sure.

In short, I was dissatisfied with the pre-sale service and should have stopped there. I continued on and made the purchase and, in the end, I was dissatisfied with the products. Finally, when dealing with Motorport after the sales, I was doubly disappointed. 3 for 3, all in the negative.

So today, all of our Motorport gear sits on heavy hangers in a closet, except for the inner rain pants which my wife and I like and use on a regular basis. For sure the most expensive rain pants I will ever own.

Now I'll get ready for the flames... Motorport seems to be one of those "don't touch" products that generate hate messages to anyone who tells a true 'dissatisfied customer' story.

·
Registered
399 Posts
After a crash a few years ago Motoport replaced the sleeve of my jacket and the leg of my pants like new....Minimal cast compared to replacement....Still havce them both....but the seat of the pants is starting to get thin....:oops: joy

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I think riding gear is a lot like helmets. What fits you great and you love may not be such a great fit for me. I bought a Schuberth C3 helmet with a ScalaRider "collar" ($1,000+)....I had been fitted by a Schuberth rep at WingDing. Six hours into a ride to San Antonio, my head felt like it was splitting down the center (meat cleaver to the forehead). Luckily, I had my old trusty Shoei Multitec in the trailer and swapped out. Of the uncomfortable helmets I've had over the years, usually they didn't feel great from the begining and got worse with time. As mentioned, the Schuberth felt fine up to a point but beyond that point, it was misery. I kept trying to wear the helmet thinking it would adjust to my head. It was stubborn and was trying to make my head adjust to it. I contacted Schuberth to try to figure out the deal (not looking for a refund or a freebie). First rattle out of the box, they told me that their helmets run a little smaller than most other brands and that I should have been fitted before purchasing. I informed them that I had been fitted and the first 3-4 hours of a ride, it felt okay....and asked them how long do people wear the helmet in a typical fitting. If I had stood there with the helmet on my head for 6-8 hours, maybe I would have known. Still wanting some of the features of the helmet and since I made the wrong decision on the helmet, I order a 2nd helmet the next size up....sloppy fit, at best and to add insult to injury, the high-dollar ScalaRider collar would not transfer to the new helmet (different size shell). I have since found pin-lock shields for the Multitecs and will just stick with them. I've been known to wear a Multitec (or a HJC, for that matter) continuously for 30+ hours in a stretch with no issues.

I'm sure there are people out there that love the Schuberth helmets and am sure there are people wearing them for less than a couple of hours at a time pain-free. I'm happy for them. I made every attempt to get satisfaction out of them but no joy. They, obviously, just can't make me (or my head) happy at any price. After wearing the Schuberths off and on for a couple of months, my Shoei's have never felt better. I have bought "experience" with many motorcycle related items and just have to accept the fact that in order to find the good stuff for me, I may have to go through a certain amount of bad. What's bad for me may be great for someone else.

When shopping at MotoPort, I had a loose idea of what I wanted but nothing concrete. While in their shop, there were several motorcycle cops in there wearing MotoPort gear. I did get some good and well intended advice from them (pros & cons) and was glad they offered. When the situation and conditions are right, it is jam-up gear but would venture to guess that if I lived in San Diego, I would get more use out of it. As LDimick pointed out, how the gear is to be used is critical information. As with the helmet, if I only used it on a couple of hour ride or commuting, it may have been the best thing since sliced bread.

If I had to part with the Roadcrafter or the MotoPort gear, I would have to stick with the Roadcrafter for my style of riding. Admittedly, I don't feel "as" protected in the Roadcrafter as I do the MotoPort due to the knowledge of Kevlar but either offers good protection as compared to some "look alike" gear. I think it is impossible to buy gear that is perfect 24/7/365 for any bike or all occasions.

Threads like this can't deliver the perfect answer for all conditions but hopefully will prevent prospective buyers from feeling totally un-armed when they are about to roll the dice. I don't think Schuberth, Aerostich or MotoPort are bad companies at all...its just that their products work better for some than they do others for various (numerous) reasons. It's much easier to pick or recommend items for the Wing (whereas they are all basically the same) than it is to recommend something for the rider where things can vary wildly in all directions. It's disappointing when you shell out to buy off the top shelf and it doesn't do what you want it to do at all times...but what else can you do? Pick and hope?

Z

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I have had my Roadcrafter for 20 years now. Almost as amazing of the quality and the use I get out of it is the fact that in that time it still fits me. I have gained a few pounds. I have ridden 500 miles in under 32 degrees without electrics and wasn't cold. I wear glove liners under good heavy gloves and that works almost all the time. In the summer I wear LD Comfort under the 'stich and that works great too. After saying all that, I know there are differences of opinion and I respect that. Until I read Zackybilly1's post I coveted a Schubert helmet. Now I doubt I'd spend the money on one. Read everything and try lots of things I say. And if your gear ends up not working for you, that's what E-bay is for.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts