GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I found the pants caused cosmetic abrasions to the clear coat on the false tank where the inside of my thighs rub. I have since had to cover that area with some no-scuff pads, covering the dulled finish area.

Now I'll get ready for the flames... Motorport seems to be one of those "don't touch" products that generate hate messages to anyone who tells a true 'dissatisfied customer' story.
I am noticing the same thing along my thighs.

NO flames. It is simply different results for different folks. I went down to their shop and spent a lot of time with Wayne. He is very passionate about his product. I can see why he does not leave people feeling warm and fuzzy. But for me a custom fit suit was my best choice. I have NEVER found any kind of one piece suit that will fit me correctly. I am 6'1" with a 29-30" inseam. So all of my height is in my trunk. When I find a suit that has the right length legs I sing soprano (or worse) When I find a suit for my 6'1" I also sing soprano.

I called Olympia and they were not interested in making a suit for my size. Then they called me back and started to ask some questions. I told them, "I want a suit that will fit 6'1" with 30 inseam that has the same chest as your 4X jacket." They couldn't figure out what I meant. I gave them measurements and they were still acting clueless.

Roadcrafter was not an option as I don't have enough time to ride all the way across the country to get measured. I have had too many bad experiences getting clothes for this short/tall/fat body to risk anyone less than the manufacturer taking my measurements, which Motoport did.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Another mildly dissatisfied MotoPort customer here.

1. Did all of my measuring per the web page and called to order a 3/4 kevlar mesh jacket. I was told that they didn't need to custom fit me because I was a "standard" size that they had in stock.

2. Got the jack and it was HEAVY but I felt protected, but not comfortable.

3. Sleeves on "standard" size were about 3 inches too long and I had to keep shooting my cuffs or the cuff ended up between the heel of my hand and the grip.

4. Bottom of back pad hits the seat and pushes up hitting the back of my helmet and pushing my head forward. If I stand up on the pegs and pull the back of the jacket down and sit back down with the jacket between my butt and the back of the seat I'm OK for 10 or 15 minutes and then the jacket pushes back up.

5. After about 3 weeks the zipper on one of the cuffs came un-stitched. Called MotoPort and they said they would fix no charge. But I had to pay the shipping for an obvious manufacturing defect.

6. The jacket is stiff and bulky and doesn't flex very well. Even after several years of use and repeated washings.

7. Main zipper is not sewn in properly and catches the edge of the jacket on the inside when it gets about half way up regardless of how careful I am. Just can't see the inside. When it gets stuck it won't go either direction and I have had to get help pulling the jacket off over my head on more than 1 occasion. Imagine walking up to a stranger and asking them to help you get undressed!!!

All that said, I wear the jacket when I'm traveling because I do feel that it offers great protection. It is extremely hot in the South Florida weather and for my daily commute or other short rides I wear my Olympia hi viz mesh jacket.

Would I buy from them again? No, because since the jacket is uncomfortable I wouldn't wear it every ride. And I wasn't happy with the customer service either. Do I feel protected in it, yes.

I'm keeping my eyes open for an alternative and will probably spring for a good 1 piece one of these days before I retire and take up traveling for real.

Jeff in dark, warm Naples, FL

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Yes, Motorport fabric is kevlar. It is often chosen for use by police department motorcycle officers for the protection it will provide if a rider takes a spill and a long slide on pavement.

Aerostich gear provides outstanding all weather comfort in rain or cold and some pavement slide protection but nothing like kevlar. A careful reading of Aerostich performance claims specifically states it is not intended to provide protection in the event of a long pavement slide.

I own and appreciate both but the Motoport has become my favorite because it is more versatile and comfortable - for me. Perhaps not for everyone.

Others commented above about fitment and communication issues with Motoport and its owner, Wayne. I don't disagree. This can occur in some instances. Motoport's website is, in a word, poor. Wayne is usually very patient and known for spending long periods of time on the phone discussing his riding attire, selection, tailoring and fit, etc. Occasionally he can be a little short but not routinely.

I believe the secret to buying satisfying Motoport gear is to carefully read and follow their website directions for measuring yourself. Or even better, visit their office for measuring. Their methods are not obvious or self explanatory and must be carefully followed. A staffer will assist on the phone and even walk a prospective buyer through the process. If you measure correctly and purchase their gear for your riding style you will appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Motoport gear appears to be priced very similar to Aerostich. Does it have advantages over Aerostich?
Yes, No :).

Either is a top line riding suit. Kelvar has some protection advantages but the 'Stitch has proven itself to protect the rider very well. Even though Motoport will make a one piece suit, Aerostitch is the master of one piece suits. For me it comes down to I like two piece riding suits, I think Motoport makes a better two piece, if I wanted a one piece it would be a "Stitch.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
You know your "right" _:bow:__I have a good friend that rides but will not wear "high Viz" because it doesn't make him look cool.
I started wearing high viz jacket(s) last year and will not ride one mile w/o it on, anybody can make all the commits they want..{I look like a bumble bee etc.etc.} .BUT if my jacket, prevent me from just one accident , it was worth all money and trouble purchasing it...not only that but I think it does make me look cool..I don't follow the Harley crowds...:nojoke:
:nojoke:
Ronnie
Got a picture?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I'm another very happy Motoport customer. My wife and I both wear Mesh Kevlar jackets and pants; hers with the standard tri-armor, mone with the optional Quade armor. The quad armor makes the gear heavier and stiffer, but I'm glad to have the extra impact protection. (I ride a little harder without her on the bike!) We don't ride without this gear - ever! It is not the most comfortable gear we've ever owned, but it's comfortable enough, and I have no doubt it is the most protective gear we've ever owned.

As for dealing with Wayne, the owner: As someone else said, he is passionate about his product, and I think that can make him a little difficult to deal with if you want to argue with him. We've had nothing but a good realtionship. When we first got our gear, it had these huge, red emergency pockets on the shoulder. We had ordered them, but didn't think they were so big. He didn't charge us to remove them, and replace them with significantly smaller pockets for our emergency info. Granted. I don't have to deal with shipping charges, as I can make a day out of a ride to the factory. BTW, he made the change while we waited!

I have absolutely no regrets about our Motorport purchase, and have been thinking about adding a set of stretch kevlar gear. We've managed very well with he mesh only, but I think the non-mesh would serve us better in both the cold and hot extremes. I'm hesitating becasue of the cost, and uncertainty about how often I would actually use it, but that's a personal choice that I have to make.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I've been debating for some time now on whether to get Motoport riding gear and I still haven't pulled the trigger. For me, it's hard to spend that much money for something I can't try on first.

For those who bought them, do you have any regrets what so ever? Do they weight too much to be used regularly? Too bulky? Anything?

Has anyone bought them and turned around and sold them for any reason?
I have the Ultra II air mesh kevlar jacket & pants, both with the quad armor upgrade. I really like them both, though they are stiff at first, once you are on the bike they are really not noticeable. I regularly walk around off the bike with them & while I wouldn't recommend multi mile hikes in them they are not bad to wander around a shopping mall in & might be just the thing for black Friday shopping trips lol :) Stuff in the outside pockets will get wet in a heavy rain & you need to get some type of tank protectors to keep your knees from scuffing the plastic are about the only negatives after 3 yrs of use. With the waterproof liners they are waterproof to rain & with Gerbings gloves & jacket liner 80 mph down the freeway @ 23*F is nice & toasty. I rode this summer @107*F with high humidity & they were warm but anything without an AC would be, most of the guys at work drove their cars during the heat wave. Motoport is pricey but is top of the line gear, I have a little over 1600 in mine but that amount is cheap compared to skin grafts & trying to rebuild stuff that got ground off in a slide. I also have & recommend their kevlar racing gloves for any temp over about 50*F. I was hesitant to spend the money on stuff I couldn't try on too but following the instructions on their website & talking to Wayne to clarify a couple things they fit like they should. If the wife ever starts doing more than a few rides per summer with me will get her a set but will stay with the tri armor as she is more sensitive to bulk & weight than I am.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I was looking for a winter riding suit and did a lot of research on the Roadcrafter. A few things put me off. While it is water resistant, a lot of people reported a wet crotch after riding in a good rain. That gave me second thoughts because I don't want to arrive at work with a wet crotch. The real deal breaker for me was that people said over 90 degrees it was hot. I ride 7-8 months over 90 degrees and 3-4 are over 100 degrees. A lot of you guys that swear by the roadcrafter live in the south where its hot. How do you put up with the heat?

I ended up buying a 1st Gear Thermo Suit for the winter and an Olympic mesh one piece for the other nine months. It ended up costing close to what I'd have paid for the road crafter, but I have a lot better set up for the weather I deal with.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I've had their Air Mesh Kevlar jacket for 8 years, added the Kevlar street jeans 3 years ago, LOVE them, fit is perfect and allows me to keep the gear on even in 118 degs. (Vegas last Aug)
After 8 years, the jacket is still in great condition other than color fading.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had both the jacket and pants for 10 years and I wouldn't use any other brand. Call the owner and he will share all the test results against the competition. Last year we traveled from San Diego to Vegas to Brian Head to Bryce Canyon to Telluride and back through Flagstaff, Yuma and then home. We went from desert heat to ski country cold, through rain & hail. They are vented so in the heat I wear a pair of shorts and a T-Shirt and get great ventilation. You stay cooler than just shorts & T-shirt for a number of reasons But at 115-118 as it was to Yuma, a cool vest and neck scarf makes it bearable.

For those that only wear these on long trips, isn't the old adage still true, most accidents occur 25 miles from home?

Attachments

21 - 32 of 32 Posts