GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I ordered the Motoport Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket, pants and associated liners (not insulated, just rain gear) and I'm impressed with the fit and finish to say the least.
These were ordered about the first week of July, and I received them the first week of November.

The jacket sleeves and pant legs are about 2 inches longer than my normal size, but perfect for riding. My measurements were taken using their suggestions on their home website.

I've been wearing them for about 5 days now, and using just jeans and a T-Shirt (not undershirt) I am comfy in 45 degree weather in the early morning. Yes, I feel a breeze, but maybe it's my built in heat-generator that keeps me warm. :wink:

The zippers are top notch grade, not this cheap stuff I see elsewhere, and all zippers have a kevlar/velcro flap to protect it. The collar is comfortable as well. Reading previous posts, I thought the suit would be somewhat abrasive and stiffer, but that's not the case. I imagine a few washings (as indicated by other posts) and more frequent wear will make it even more pliable and comfortable in time.

I had the opportunity to ride it in a pouring rain today, and it performed flawlessly in keeping me dry. 45 minutes of stop and go driving. When I got home, I just took it off, hung it up in the basement on a hangar, and it was dry in a matter of hours.

I may keep the frogg toggs around in case it rains rapidly. It would be easier to just slip the toggs over the riding suit. :D

The 2 way zippers on the legs really help getting into and out of the suit. Counting all protective gear, it takes less than 5 minutes to fully suit up, and under 5 to get out of everything, helmet, gloves, included.

I don't want to report on it's crashworthiness if I can help it, but if I do happen to go down, I feel better protected in this.

Jacket:
http://www.motoport.com/detail.asp?InSt ... ory=Kevlar

Pants:
http://www.motoport.com/detail.asp?InSt ... ory=Kevlar

I'm not here to try and change anyones mind about protective gear or anything......just a report on my 5 day (limited) experiences.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I've got an Atlas AX textile jacket I got from them in 2000, it's one of their less expensive jackets, but I have been very happy with it. Motoport/Cycleport used to come to Wing Ding as a vendor, I bought mine at Wing Ding in Billings Montana in 2000.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Four months to receive your order? I don't care how good the stuff is. I am not going to buy from a company that takes 4 months to ship!

Art

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Thanks for the review. Please post another one after you have "softened" it up and let us know how it is holding up.

I plan on placing an order for a Motoport's suit AFTER I do the following:

1) Get my 2006 FJR1300 AE (next May).

2) Release multi-user version of DL to pay for #1 and suit :lol: !

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Have a Motoport Jacket (Trek if I recall)I bought at Americade several years ago. Haven't seen them at Americade since.

4 months to get your stuff? Jeepers that's a long time...makes me wonder about the stability of a company that takes that long to deliver. ANd they don't seem to be at any shows....are they just hanging on?

If so too bad, they make a good product.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I too have the Motoport Ultra II Air Mesh but went with the Kevlar Street Jeans.
I just love the gear and feel very good about riding in it.
We had a mishap coming off the Blueridge a few weeks ago in which I was able to test it. I went the wrong way and was going to do a U turn taking a side road to the right but after starting the turn I hesitated because of the steep angle of the side road and well you know the rest. I could not get my foot to touch the ground until the bike was over at such an angle that I could not hold it up. My wife and I fell off going down hill and I landed on my right knee and right elbow not wanting to put my hand out. The gear worked fine and probably saved us from some very nasting bruising or possible fractures as we fell hard on to the pavement . My wife was unhurt as well and if we had just jeans and a light coat I am sure we would have suffered from that fall. No tears or anything to the Kevlar.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Motoport Kevlar mesh

I have had my Motoport Ultra II Kevlar mesh for two years. The stuff is great and I feel comfortable and a little safer wearing it and I always wear it. Always. Additionally, I have taken my Kevlar pants and added of the high vis lime green reflective stripes that you see on fireman bunker gear, on the sides and around the legs at the ankle and on the back of the jacket.

It sure doesn't take 5 minutes to get dressed once you get used to the drill (much less) and yes it will loosen up a bit when you wash it, and you one of the many nice things about this gear is that your don't need to remove the armor to wash it. The real trick to getting it to loosen up is to go to a laundramat or such that has big dryers, and put the jacket and pants in the dryer NO HEAT and let it tumble around in there for awhile. And given that the fabric and the stiching is kevlar, you probably could use all the heat you want - but I did not.

As for it taking 4 months and not showing at the rally's. In reverse order, (I think) the company has all the business they can handle or choose to undertake and they don't need to go to rally's to drum up business. It is a small company and is owned by a very nice gentleman named Wayne Boyer - and I can personally vouch that if you have a problem with the gear all you need to do is call him and he will make it right. I may be wrong but I think the stuff has a very long warranty period.

As Bulldog says, if we look hard enough we can always find something wrong, but my experience with Motoport has been a 10 on the 10 scale. Well, except the price, and their top of the line gear is a little more than Roadcrafter, and very very different from Roadcrafter - and I also own a Roadcrafter and don't wear it anymore. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. With Motoport Kevlar mesh you pay alot and get alot
of protection.

Everywhere I go guys stop me and ask me what kind of gear I am wearing and once they get a closer look at it and feel the kevlar mesh they almost always ask how they can contact the company for more info. As for delivery time, well, maybe his order was placed at the height of the season and they are backed up.........and this will change with the seasons and time of order. They often have an inventory of suits on hand, and you should ask about this, but as a rule, I believe everything is custom made to measure.

I was lucky, they had a full set of 3/4 jacket and pants in stock that they made for the Portland Ore PD (apparently they build a lot of suits for PD' Motor Officers) and the officer was transfered to another department. My measurements were almost exactly his. I wouldn't let the lead time of the order get in my way from getting some of - if not THE best protective riding gear available.

I am a little jaded, OK, I am a lot jaded...... I look at guys who wear a protective jacket and jeans and I just kinda shake my head. Me, I say if you are going to wear a protective jacket, that you should also wear protective pants because street jeans ain't gonna do anything when push comes to shove. Kevlar jeans from Motoport might help, but I doubt they have armor. Me, I'm a chicken. I wear the Ultra II Kevlar mesh pants with armor, everytime I ride. I think I saw those photos of Tom Finch after his "Event" and it was those photos that prompted me to find a suit as good as or better than roadcrafter - that I could wear year around - because I sure could NOT wear the roadcrafter in slow traffic and anything above 75 degrees. Motoport was a great find and I have no regrets. It is truely year around gear.

Try going to their website and read the piece called "saving your hide". Las time I looked it was in the top right hand corner. It will educate you about different materials used in protective gear and MAY change the way you think about what you are currently wearing. Given that I already have a Roadcrafter, and a Motoport Ultra II Kevlar mesh 3/4 jacket and pants, I am not aware there is anything out there that is better no matter how much you spend. The Roadcrafter is fine gear, but my Roadcrafter has been in the closet since I took delivery of the Motoport UltraII Kevlar Mesh.
Pete

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
It's not just a delivery. This product is had made to your own specific sizes and only after you order it.

I ordered mine Oct 20th. and don't expect delivery until early March. That should work out perfectly for next year.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I also have Motoport gear.about 8 yrs old now......Crashed in it and took off left arm of jacket and left leg of pants....Sent them back to Motoport and they repaired both for a minimal amount and they are as good as new......great company to deal with....I've just given my sister who is a new rider a jacket and will get her pants soon......joy

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lots of great stories here, and thanks for the insight.

Very true, at first, I was told it would be about 8 weeks, but as time progressed, they got more and more orders, and I got an email from Wayne saying it would be another 3-4 weeks due to slower kevlar deliveries also. I'd say they have more business than they can handle, but they do a fine job and try to give everyone that personal attention.
I've emailed the company with certain questions, and was answered, usually within a few hours by Wayne himself They've even called me to verify my measurements on two occasions.

I give them 2 :yes1: and a hearty :clap2:

And BTW, you have excellent timing Quickscribbles :D

I've had this Joe Rocket jacket with armor for almost 3 years now, and when the Motorport stuff came in, I went next door and gave it to my neighbor who has always ridden with shorts, t shirts and sandals. I actually had it cleaned/washed and gave it to his wife, since she always complained about him taking too many chances. (the Boss knows best)

BTW...check out the old comparison of the two. Aerostitch vs Motoport
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motoport/

Maybe one day, he'll actually use it.

But, he'll NEVER get my Motoport gear ! :biker:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
You guys who "break in" your Kevlar gear are probably right. But in the olden days, Kevlar soft body armor gave up a lot of strength if washed. That might not be the case any longer, but you might want to check into it a bit more, just in case.

It will conform to your unique shape after a time by just wearing it a lot.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
n9frp,

For once in my life the timing of my order was by design. I made up my mind to buy better riding gear after the Harrison ride and Fuzzy's accident. I've known all along I needed to upgrade but that was the one incident that pushed me to get on with it.

I decided to order it over the winter because I knew it took 4 months or more to get the suit I wanted. I had already done the research, including reading the comparison you posted.

I'm also going to try a full face, flip up helmet. That's hard for me because I've discovered I'm a tad claustrophobic in a full face.

Hopefully I'll have mine just in time for the new riding season next year and you won't see me riding "The Dragon" in short sleeve shirts & 3/4 helmet again. :wink:

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'll repeat the story that I've told many times. My Motoport Ultra II Kevlar two piece suit literally saved my a$$, when I hit a deer at 65 MPH, then, slid and violently tumbled along the highway. It works!

I was able to stand up and limp off the road, with ankle sprains, bruises, blunt knee trauma (broadly distributed by the armor, rather than direct impact) and ZERO road rash. The suit would have been worth 10 times the cost, for what it saved in possible damage to my body, especially, skin removed to the bone!!

The suit still bears the scrapes and several small friction holes, patched by Cycleport/Motoport.

Always, wear your suit. Don't be tempted to not wear it.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gray_red_rider said:
Jerry, what the total cost for the jacket and pants?
I don't have the exact figure, but it was just shy of $1,000.00 (950-975 or so, but that includes the liners at about $200.00)

I guess H-Man is another testament to the gear.
Much cheaper than skin grafts.......ewwww!!!

Seeing some pictures of accidents, and in the interest of self-preservation, I guess folks that use protective gear want to live long, ride and enjoy as long as possible....regardless of the particular brand. Something is always better than nothing. :idea:

·
Registered
119 Posts
My Motoport came as promised.
I told them I needed it for my big trip this summer, and they got it to me on time.

The fit is just perfect - they took their time with me on the phone, while my wife took the measurements they needed.

The suit is stiff when it first arrives, but now, I wear it all the time, and it is incredibly comfortable.

I've washed it once - at the laundromat - in a huge commercial washing machine. Brought it home wet and hung it up.

Has about 8,000 miles on it this year. 39 degrees to 95 degrees.

This time of year, I wear it with the Gore-tex liners in all the time for additional wind protection/insulation.

I simply love this suit. $1000 with the Gore-tex. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Scoutt said:
I simply love this suit. $1000 with the Gore-tex. Worth every penny.
choooo looook maahh-vaa-lus !!! :clap2:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Trip to Cycleport

Hi all,
I was in Carson City NV for some work this week & had a spare day (waiting for some parts to show up) and decided to drive all the way to Cycleport factory as I have been thinking about purchasing a full outfit. I called and talked to Wayne before I left set it up for the next morning. So 648 miles later (mapquest said 502) met with Wayne went over all the products. I was sold on them and had him measure me up for a jacket with insulated liner and pants with water proof liner. Total cost was $1005.00 shipped. Then back 648 mile to Carson City.

He was great to deal with and it will be 14 weeks till ship date as they are busy. They are very nice people to deal with and very friendly every time I called to ask questions prior. He stated that they are a factory not a retail shop as they make clothes for many police dept. but welcome people to come in.

In my case I am long torso and short inseam. He altered the std. jacket to work for me something that might not be caught otherwise. In any event they will always alter the clothes until you feel the fit right he said.
They are a small company he brought over from Europe in 1979.

Jamie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts