GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know whether this was posted or not, but Motor Trike has issued an upgrade to the rear disc brakes on Motor Trike Kits. They go from a small profile to a much larger one.

If your Motor Trike is under warranty, you will get the upgrade free. I just had mine done today at my installers facility.

Otherwise if you wish to upgrade on your own, I understand it is quite pricey.

Keith

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can you give us more info on the upgrade? What exactly is done to the brakes or changed? I don't know what profile means in terms of brakes.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, ok, so now you have pulled the curtain back on my mechanical and technical abilities!!!!

Thank goodness I excell in other areas!

I can probably get some greater details by calling my installer, but he handed me the new brakes, and they were at least 50% larger. Both in the size of the actual disc brake housing, but the pads were considerably larger too.

I understand that the older design utilized 2 small brake pads per brake housing. They looked to be about and inch and a half by an inch and a half. The brake pad on the new set up is one larger pad and looks to be at least double the size of the original 2 pads.

So that is my non technical, lack of mechanical explaination.

Bottom line is the difference in size is very impressive!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the info.

My brakes are the small pads you are talking about, but there is four per caliper.

I had problems with my first set of brakes, the pads were too soft and only lasted about 6,000 miles. Rotors had tobe replaced also.

I am waiting for MotorTrike to answer an email.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I note Trykster has a '06, is this recall on brake pads for all years? I have a '05 kit...please post additional info when you get it Alle751. Thanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
MotorTrike

Had the new kit installed to my 02 wing with 05 MT kit last week. They seem to work much better than the previous ones. Appears to me the pads are approx 300% thicker and larger than old ones. Calipers, rotors and pads were changed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How were you notified that they were updating the brakes or how did you find about the update?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Have mine on the way also, called today.

It is a brand new update and they change them automatically if you bring your Trike in for any service. They have redesigned the whole caliper and pad system. the old new ones with the small pads are wearing out in as little as 6 - 7 K and getting into the rotors it seems, the pads themselves had a lifetime warranty for just calling to get them. The new system uses only a single large pad on each side instead of two small ones. More surface and more stopping power, with less wear on the rotor. It has only been out a few weeks. If your are out of warranty they are very expensive to the tune of $900.00. The small chicklett pads will still be available.

Forgot: They will ONLY Ship to an Installer, they are NOT user installable. It requires cutting and line moving.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Guess I need to upgrade all together since I have an '01' with the old drum set up. One more thing to add to my "gotta get" list.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I talked to Motor Trike today and as George said, they only ship to your installer. Called my installer and he is getting the kit along with several others and scheduling me for the upgrade. I heard about the upgrade here from you folks. Thanks in advance.

I asked my installer if/when he was going to notify me. He said he is putting his first upgrade on this week and was seeing how it would go before scheduling the rest of us. He has always been straight with me, so I believe him.

For you who get the upgrade, is there much difference, etc. Let us know.

MT said the upgrade is free with the installer getting two hours of labor payment. Nothing was said about being in or out of warranty...If you have a question, call MT....800-90 TRIKE

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Trykster, Your comments on the upgrade please. Better braking or just better pads?

·
Registered
34 Posts
This the answer to my email to MotorTrike about the brake upgrade:

The first order of business would be to find out what bike you have and when it was installed. From there we would send the upgrade parts if applicable to your dealer and they would schedule a time for you to come in and do the work. If you have any questions please give me a call at (800) 908-7453.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Let's try again.

This the answer to my email to MotorTrike about the brake upgrade:

The first order of business would be to find out what bike you have and when it was installed. From there we would send the upgrade parts if applicable to your dealer and they would schedule a time for you to come in and do the work. If you have any questions please give me a call at (800) 908-7453.

Sincerely,

Tonya Waggoner

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The reply I received was to determine if you have disc or drum brakes. If you have disc brakes go to your installer....they will order the upgrade and handle.

I did mention in my original email to MotorTrike the year of my conversion.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
George Lewis said:
Trykster, Your comments on the upgrade please. Better braking or just better pads?
I have to reserve judgement, and here is why. They did not get my lines bled properly. I have to pump the peddle about 4-5 times to get pressure, so it is going in for that fix. Even before the upgrade, I have had to pump my brakes once to bring up pressure....anyone else have this issue?

Thanks, and I will let you know once I have full braking power!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trykster,
I have the same problem as you are having with a soft brake petal. My independent dealer here in Pa. is not able to fix it. Thursday I will be taking it to a Honda dealer who is also a Motor Trike dealer in Harrisonburg Va. I think the independent dealers do not under stand the Honda brake system.
I will let all know how I make out.
Jack

G

·
jaspr said:
Trykster,
I have the same problem as you are having with a soft brake petal. My independent dealer here in Pa. is not able to fix it. Thursday I will be taking it to a Honda dealer who is also a Motor Trike dealer in Harrisonburg Va. I think the independent dealers do not under stand the Honda brake system.
I will let all know how I make out.
Jack
I remember something on a thread here about hanging a weight on the rear brake pedal, and leaving it on overnight. thia is supposed to clear up the "soft-pedal" problem

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Okay, Trykster, I hope you get them bled properly. It takes two people to do it right...I am sure there are those who can do it alone, but I helped my installer and it took two of us to pump, fill, pump, fill etc. working both rear wheels.... My brakes work great with the old pads and no pumping. My installer will get the upgrade 13 Nov. when he makes a trip to Motor Trike in Troup, TX. to pick up several kits. Anyway, let me know when you get your's working properly. Thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
George, and others,

I just picked up my trike at Heatland Honda, they fixed the limp pedal problem.

The new brakes are better. I would say that I notice a 25% improvement over the original calipers and pads.

Not an incredible difference, but a noticable difference. Good luck, and let us know how yours work out!

Keith

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Thanks, Keith. My installer will pick up severl upgrade kits Nov. 13 and schedule me shortly after that. I will publish when I get them on and try them out....25% can make a big difference....

1 - 20 of 107 Posts