GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
George this is for you,i put new pads on the rear of trike. The right hand caliper sticks and the brake gets hot,very hot. I pulled the caliper of and pushed the plungers in with a c clamp,put back together and rode it. It still got hot. The rotor gets very hot compared to the left side. Does any body have some info. That i could use. This trike has stopped better than it ever has. It does have the upgrade installed.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm not George and not a axpert but sounds like you have a caliper hanging up not releasing,piston sticking out. May have to rebuild or replace. But i'm interested to see what George has to say .:popcorn:
mrwelaxn

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
That is what it sounds like to me is that there is a cylinder sticking out..
Take that caliper off and use a good spray brake cleaner and give it a good douching.
Be careful to keep the spray in and away from the body, you know The Paint. The last time I had one of mine off I could move the cylinder in with strong pressure with my fingers. Give it a good cleaning with the cylinders out some, and then wash it off with cleaner with them in. See if that helps. You can after you get it off apply some very, very slight peddle to push them out a smidg, and clean them. Be careful doing that though, very, very, very, very slight peddle. With no resistance on them too much will make an unholy mess. !!!!!

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I must have been a little brain dead last night :oops: I saw that you said that you replaced the rear pads :?: Did you replace both sides, or just the left? and that you have the upgraded brakes. The new pads have a huge amount of meat on them, I am wondering if it hasn't been sticking some from the beginning. These pads should last for almost ever :!: or you ride the rear brake some. How does the rotor look. It should show signs of dragging. Another thing to look at is: is the caliper free over the rotor, and not hung to one side???? If I remember right you should be able to jiggle the caliper some with the wheel off, and were the left pads worn down sort of evenly, or was the inside one the lowest???

Still think it will be a sticking cylender...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes i did replace both sides. It has the new upgrade. I replaced the pads with a softer lining, the ones i took out was very hard and glazed over. I have never had good brakes on trike. I have been trying to find out what the problem is myself , i took the brake off and pushed the caliper s in sanded the glazed surface of the lining. Installed took it for a spin still drags very bad. I done this 3 times.i took the bolts out of the rubber boots and cleaned them up real good and lubed them up. After the last time of doing this i have come to the conclusion the calipor is sticking. Will take back off and try what george said to do with the brake kleen. I also dumped out the old brake fluid out of the resouovor and put new in it. Any more help would be help full. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also need to add that i have got the best brakes i have ever had. Still think it is stuck.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Did you do a good bleeding when you flushed out the old fluid? Sounds like you may have. I would keep an eye on the rotors to be sure that they don't get too hot if they are dragging. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think just like George says clean and move them in and out a few times, also if you have had the caliper hot i think i would flush that line out and bleed it. If that brake fluid has been hot it will draw moisture and will not work like it shoiuld.
mrwelaxn

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got 60 thousand the trike. Got the new traxxion springs in the front end and love them. Still having trouble with my right rotor getting hot. Put the old brake pads on cleaned the pistons very good and rode the trike,brought it back in the garage and checked the temp. The left rotor was at 156% the right rotor was at 102%. The left wheel will turn more freely now that i put the old pads on. I still think the caliper is not right ,sticking. With the old pads i do not have the braking power, with the new pads on it has great brakes. Any more help would help. Thanks

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
When you check the play on the caliper! Is there any? The caliper should move back and forth a little. If it doesn't move any the rods are probably full of crud, and need cleaning out. There is a rubber boot over the rods, but they will still get stuff under them. There is a bolt that goes through to the other side, that could be nasty also. The caliper doesn't move a bunch, but should move some. That will cause the pad to drag on one side. :?:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took out the bolts on both calipers and cleaned them and put some new grease on them. They were not that dirty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

Do you notice any pulsing in the brakes? Or when you spun the wheel did it seem to catch in certain spots during rotation? What I'm getting at is warped rotors. It is rather common and the more they get too hot the worse they will get.

Ratfink

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I was going to ask George P. this question, but remembered that he is at the Hannigan plant this week, learning to install a kit. Anyway, I have 28,000 on my Motor Trike disc brake upgrade. After installing the new calipers and bleeding them like George P. said, they worked okay....never STOPPED as I thought they should, but I lived with it. Now they seem to be getting worse.

The only thing I know to do is flush and replace fluid, bleed properly and check the pads. (fluid ins 3 years old) I am not hard on my brakes, but will check the pads while I am there. I doubt they will need replacing with only 28K. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
George, I have the upgrade version of MotorTrike brakes. I can slide the rear tires on dry pavement, so they in fact work. I have 28K on the rig, and just replaced the front brake pads. Left side was down to the last 64th of an inch or so (way past the war grooves), right side was at about the last 8th (bottom of the wear grooves) of an inch, so I got just about all they had to give. Stock Honda pads on the front, and thats what I put back on.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
IRHarry wrote: George, I have the upgrade version of MotorTrike brakes. I can slide the rear tires on dry pavement, so they in fact work. I have 28K on the rig, and just replaced the front brake pads. Left side was down to the last 64th of an inch or so (way past the war grooves), right side was at about the last 8th (bottom of the wear grooves) of an inch, so I got just about all they had to give. Stock Honda pads on the front, and thats what I put back on.

Harry, I am a little confused. I had new Honda pads put on the front wheel at 46K and they needed it and was only talking about my rear wheels. But are you talking about the rear pads? Did you change them? My rear are not stopping near as well as they should. Front is okay, rear is not. Would it need pads on the rear wheels at 28K? I have not looked, but did not think they would wear that quickly....

I can not slide the rear tires...never could from the getgo....????

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
George i have never had good brakes with the upgrade. When i took them off they were glazed over real bad. I have come to believe these pads is the very hard. When i bought the new pads from napa i got pads that was not as severe, they work great best darn brakes i have ever had. But one side still gets very worm. I seem to know about brake linings as i rebuild heavy duty brakes for the industry. I am going to go check and measure to see if the calipor is fitting on the properly. I will advise as to what i find. Thanks ziggy

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We may be in luck. I went to the shop and dismantled the right side and got my calipors out and started measuring and what i found was that the bracket that is welded to the axle that holds the caliper was off 118 th thousands. This was causing the caliper to not fit the rotor right . I took of bracket and shimmed out the front and put back on. Put my new brakes back on and run it on the jack stands, not the best test but at least the wheel will turn alot easier. But i still think that the caliper is sticking just a little bit. I will call motor trike and see if they will send me a new calipor. I will let you know what happens . I really think i am the right track to solving this headach. Thank guys

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Ziggy, You may be on to something there, but cant figure out why the brackets would be that far out, but stuff like that can happen I guess. If it is dragging the rotor will get hot pretty fast on the stands, just idling in 2Nd. I also wonder if the rotor has something under it, as unlikely as it may seem, there could be a chunk of grit or something on the hub or back side against the hub????!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts