GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read on another trike forum. Guy posts in my thread about the CSC drive shaft problem. He is on his third drive shaft in 18,000 miles!!! :eek:4: First I heard of the problem in Motor Trikes. Anyone else? Tom :biker:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just heard that Motortrike is doing a ujoint upgrade. Originally, Black was bad, Gray was good & now Blue is best. Told to me by a professional installer that I trust!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I could be wrong and have been before but seems the MT issue was with the driveshaft yokes? I do know MT has been using a NEW driveshaft loop to catch the shaft if it goes to keep from tearing up some stuff. George should be able to shed some light on this?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Motortrike

My MT u-joint went after 1,000 miles. MT replace it asap and no problems since. Now have about 22,000 on her.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
Decided to pull my driveshaft after nine years on the trike to check the splines and u-joint. As I pulled the u-joint out of the rear end yoke, two u-joint caps fell out and a whole lot of little needle bearing fell out of the caps. Tried to find them all but could not and was short on them. Some must have felled somewhere on the floor. Funny there was lots of grease in the caps. Oh well, bought a new one for 12.00 dollars and installed it. Taped those caps on till installed in the yoke so it would not come apart and loose needle bearings again.

Cleaned the old grease on the transmission tail shaft splines and checked them for wear and any rough edges. Nothing, then check the internal splines on the drive shaft and found the same as the ones on the tailshaft. Lubes it up again with axle grease the same way as when I first put it in nine years prior. Should be good for another nine years with u-joint greasing every second oil change. Roger

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just read on another trike forum. Guy posts in my thread about the CSC drive shaft problem. He is on his third drive shaft in 18,000 miles!!! :eek:4: First I heard of the problem in Motor Trikes. Anyone else? Tom :biker:

Oh it happens, it just isn't discussed because its not CSC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts