GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Third party on this, 2005 and not sure what year the motor trike conversion was done. When backing off on the throttle, owner states it sounds like the gears grinding. Not all the time, but comes and goes. My suggestion was to change the clutch fluid due to no maintenance records. Bought used with less then 10,000 miles. Hope it is not the shift fork for them. Open to any other ideas to suggest.

·
Vendor
18,595 Posts
Well since it is a trike, I suppose things can be a little different. Lets start with this question. When it happens, is he confused as to what gear he is/was in?

A bent fork is usually cause from ghost shifting. You may want to check my other posts doing a seach under ghost shifting. I specialize in correcting ghost shifting issues. Sorry he is having problems. Also check a current post going on for one I am currently repairing.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Check his u-joints. I don't know about a Motor Trike but I know a Champion trike kit with a straight axle has u-joints with grease alamites.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He states is happens when letting off throttle. Think the shifting issue might be his downshifting maybe from 5th to 1st like waiting at a light? Have to get more precise information. Motortrike axle unit, not indepent wheel unit.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
He states is happens when letting off throttle. Think the shifting issue might be his downshifting maybe from 5th to 1st like waiting at a light? Have to get more precise information. Motortrike axle unit, not indepent wheel unit.
That there is a REAL bad idea.....

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update, heard the noise now, it is a high pitch "chatter, but not rapid". Maybe 3-5 chatters a second, and from passenger seat, the sound is more like under the drivers area. Pitch is like banging pots out of water, then under water? Thought is if it was the transmission forks or gears, the oil bath would make it a low pitch sound? We looked at the drive shaft, and rear seems fairly solid, but front skinny shaft part has side movement wiggle? Enough to feel in hand and see easy enough. Tranny end is dry, like grease is missing in splined end? Does this play seem normal ? Then wondering if the spring is weak or possibly broken, could not see well at this time, just slight look underneath. Also letting out the clutch a little removed the noise. Then this just reloads everything again.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Sounds like it might be a good idea to pull the drive off and take a look at the front u-joint. I've been through two now with my bike (115K) and this might be the problem. Regardless, it would not hurt to take a look just to rule it out. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had the same problem on mine it sounded likt youwere running over the cow pattys on the centerline jacked it up and was not believing what I saw the main ground wire running from the battery to the right side of the engine and the main ground for the chassis was wraped around the drive shaft and torn out now to fix it :cry::wrong:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update, a local honda dealer looked at it. "Adjusted the clutch", love this part, to my knowledge there is no adjustment possible? "Thinks", it is the transmission. Found a close trike dealer, so will follow up with the "motortrike dealer". So far, I see there is a spring in the driveshaft, and thinking it could be broken? Will post updates as we go. (just a third party posting) :coffee1:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for the replies, and issue was the Motortrike drive shaft front universals being dry and worn. Service shop was amazed how it was even put together, like it was to tight? Present new driveshafts are on back order, and no date of re-stocking. (told they do not even have a post date to make them) Good thing is, a 1500 drive may match up. This is what worked for this person. Original trike only had 10k miles on it, and was not bought triked, so guessing at best, it had 5-6k miles most on it. So for all motor trike owners, inspect and manually grease the universals alot ! Also now heard of another trike brand having rear wheel bearing worn out, so check them out frequently ! Guessing about 15-20k miles on bearings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts