GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding today a fellow wing rider following me mentioned that the right side of trike is noticeably sagging when view from his perspective. A quick look from about 20 feet behind the bike verified the gentleman's observation.

Inflating the suspension air bags did not significantly change the height of the right side.

After getting home I measured a height difference of about 1-1/4 inches between left and right sides. Also, the outside of the tire on the right is closer to the fender well than the left tire by 5/8-inch.

Okay, so a bit of reading in the Motor Trike manual says these two things can be adjusted out--> body and rear axel alignment.

A closer inspection reveals the right-side air bag assembly is bent inward. The bend begins near the base of the unit, about where the bag begins. Is this normal? The left-side air bag assembly is straight.

Also, I noticed the right-side shock absorber appears to be leaning inward at more of an angle than the left-side shock asorber. A photo in the Motor Trike manual seems to indicate both air bag assemblies are essentially vertical and the mounting angle of each shock appears to be the same.

I'm taking the trike into the dealer at the first opportunity, but wanted to tap into the collective trike wisdom on this board. What do you think guys?

[edit] 2008 Motor Trike w/ 1250 total miles, about 1225 miles as a trike.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
These are correctable items, and you are correct in taking it back to the installer now instead of later. Be sure to point out all of the items that need to be corrected. It sounds like the body is a little to far to the left.

The leveling remember has to be done on the ground, not on a lift.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
How is your sidecover fit? Do you have a trailer hitch? How does your tour pak and seat look from either side? These are all areas that are of concern when aligning the Trikes body, not just MT but all Trikes. Motor Trike has incorporated an alignment adjustment bar that moves the axle left to right and right to left as the manual shows to make it symetrical so the tires are close to even in the wheel wells. Is the Trike body not centered to begin with?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Thanks for the responses!

Overall, the body alignment looks good; no obvious discrepancies. I took it to the installing dealer today after talking with the owner and they put in on a stand and started working on it. They indicated that it just needed adjusting.

My thought, which I have not yet voiced, is this indicates a quality control issue of the installation process--basic measurements to ensure proper alignment were not made. Or some of the adjustment points were not tightened and the initial body alignment was lost.

It should be ready for pick up tomorrow, but it may be a few days before I can get to the shop before closing time. Oh, well, I'll have it for the weekend. :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Adjustments are to be expected in the first 12 K miles, and checks should be done at regular intervals as part of preventative maintenance. It most likely is just the settling in process........

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adjustments are to be expected in the first 12 K miles, and checks should be done at regular intervals as part of preventative maintenance. It most likely is just the settling in process........
Thanks, George. Perhaps I'm too critical. I come from an aircraft maintenance background where everything is supposed to be correct from the start without "settling in." :lol:

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
All body alignment problems are easily fixable on a Motor Trike. The one thing that doesn't ring right is that airbag cylinder being possible bent. Maybe the piston seized and bent the shaft. They are made by Progressive so easily replaceable. Certainly not a usual problem though.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I wanted to see the plant, so I rode to Texas, nice people,...maybe you might think it's road trip time....

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Thanks, George. Perhaps I'm too critical. I come from an aircraft maintenance background where everything is supposed to be correct from the start without "settling in." :lol:
I also have been seen with an inspection mirror in my hand :yes1: and before my sig went in the log things were right, but some designs just have settling time, and wear in aspects, then they seem to be rock solid. :shrug:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Kerrville Route

Good Evening Lee and Bonnie: Will you trailer part way OR hammer-down I-10 most of the way. We live just south of Breckenridge, CO. Depending on the snow storms, we may take I-25 south to I-10. We have Monday thru Wednesday for our trip. How about you two?? Thanks Johnny and Ruthie Lane. Alma, Co.

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
Good Evening Lee and Bonnie: Will you trailer part way OR hammer-down I-10 most of the way. We live just south of Breckenridge, CO. Depending on the snow storms, we may take I-25 south to I-10. We have Monday thru Wednesday for our trip. How about you two?? Thanks Johnny and Ruthie Lane. Alma, Co.
Hello Johhny and Ruthie. We will be riding all the way on the Goldwing trike pulling an Escapade trailer. We will camp out every night somewhere. We will be taking I-10 all the way. Maybe we can plan it to meet somewhere in the junction of I-25 and I-10. What are your travel plans? We plan on leaving on Wednesday or maybe even Tuesday to get there a couple of days before the event. We will be staying at the Kerrville/Schreiner Park in Kerrville and we have reservations there.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Ken Schreiber of Cowboy Country Sales (CSC) puts mine on his auto rack (he built a trike attachment) and we look at all of the under side. Check all nuts on the heim bolts, and all other. Did it the first time at 10K and several nuts were not snug...they are now. They work loose. If you have not checked them in 10K, it might not be a bad idea....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts