GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you fellow owners of Motor Trike conversions had a problem with water leaking into the trunk on the kit? Every time I wash mine, water gets into the trunk. :roll:

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I don't get any leaks, but do you mean the GW trunk or the MT trunk?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trike Trunk Leak

George, it is the lid on the Motor Trike trunk. I have bent the wire that goes into the catches, and that tightened it up some, but it still leaks. The dealership I bought the trike from said they would look at it when I bring the trike in for the first service. I only have a little over 600 miles on it, and the first service is at 4,000. Don't want to wait that long. :roll:

C

·
0 Posts
Does it leak when it RAINS, or leak under the pressure of a waterhose.

It may be kind just loose enough to give way under pressure.
hit it with some silicone spray and leave the door open a few hours, then hit it again and leave it open oernightthen see how it is.... good luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cjmitch:
That's a good question. It has not been in the rain during the two weeks I have owned it. I have washed it twice and it leaked both times. I was curious myself, so today when I washed it, I used a very gentle spray in that area and it still leaked. I will try the silicone. The lid is loose, as it moves quite a bit when I push in on it. Thanks for the info. :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wannabe, I feel your pain. First let me say that I love my Motor Trike Conversion. Now down to the problem at hand. The short answer to your question is Yes my trunk has had a leak. The very nice people at Boyd MotorTrike in Prairieville,La. fixed my problem. It seems that the factory sent the wrong gasket with the kit and that gasket leaked. So they replaced it and that one leaked also. Well as I said the nice folks that installed my kit went out and bought the gasket material and installed it again and that worked. So there was and is a problem with trunk leaks.

Tom

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Yep they does!!

Both of my trunk lids leaked. You can adjust some of it out but the gasket isn't put on right. On the 2+2 I gently took the rubber off with a heat gun ( it was only a few days old ) and replaced it in the right position. If you don't know just how the gasket is supposed to fit and where. Go by a body shop and see if they will show you the indicator marks on the inside lip ( The Key ) they are in just a little too deep in the lid recess. Generally on the top. put a dollar bill in there and close it. If you can pull the dollar out or move it side to side, with very much effort, it is too loose. I tried the wire bending and all that first too, and then I looked real good at the gasket and saw that it was not put on right. Two out of two for me. It don't leak now.

Same Trike, two bodies. I had to replace the first due to a parking mishap. I was parked and some one wanted that place. ARRRGHHHHH.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I thought Angel's DFT trunk lid was leaking but after attempts to fix the lid it still leaked. After closer inspection I discovered that the kit was fabricated in sections instead of molded in one piece. I got some caulking and after generously caulking the seams, no more leaks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts