GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any adjustments to the trike trunk lid? Rode in heavy rain and ready thing was dripping wet in there. And I found some cracks in the bottom too.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yea......as engineering goes, that is one of the things with Motor Trike that quite plain and simple sucks. :twisted: Are you motor trike guys reading......Chuckle.

I had to make an adjustment this past weekend, after a nice meal, and I really did not want to work on that stupid trunk lid. It would not latch shut so very carefully so as to not chip the fiberglass I bent the wire catch hangers on the lid in just a bit so it would latch.

I am going to remodel that and unplug the micro switches that say door open and block out your display.......AAAARRGGGGG..........

As for adjustment yes you can. Make sure the door gasket is in good repair, has good compression and is well seated.

Then you can adjust the top door latch bar in and out by accessing the bolts that hold it in place up under the wheel well, but.....but........having the trike on a jack and wheels off makes it much easier to reach those bolts.

Once you get the bar adjusted so the bottom of the door fits the gasket well and all fits holding the door shut by hand then you have to adjust or bend the top wire catches so door fits and compresses the weather gasket without gaps and without being too tight it will not catch.

It would be best to take the wire catches on the door itself off to bend them, stress on the glass could chip out the screw holes........Also it seem the wire catches on the door are a bit long in design ,and when you slam the door in frustration of door open lights on the display, it does tend to bend them as they are not substantial enough to withstand this and gradually they act up. So gently closing the door is it seems wise. And as for the silly door open indications that block the display because the micro switch is not adjusted to acknowledge the fact the door is latched.......is nothing but aggravation, I myself will today unplug the wires.

You see I know the door is closed, I do not need some stupid indicator to tell me........door open. ;) The slamming of the door to get those stupid door open indicators to go off, long term causes the problems with the door. I do not have a light or indicator on my door on my house but I know when it is open or shut........Lol!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Is there any adjustments to the trike trunk lid? Rode in heavy rain and ready thing was dripping wet in there. And I found some cracks in the bottom too.
Good Morning Randy. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

After reading Kit's reply I went out and looked at my door. I suspect Kit has some other model of Motor Trike. I don't see the bar he speaks of. The only adjustment I see would be to loosen the bolts on the hinges and see if they will move at all. I'd mark them before moving to be sure you can at least get them back to the original position. Putting a light coat of grease on the seal might help you determine were the leak is so you will know where to move things. If all that fails a call to Richard at Motor Trike is probably you next best move. I looked in the install manual and there is nothing about trunk door adjustment as I suspect that is done at the factory before the kit is shipped.

Good luck with the fix.....

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Good Morning Randy. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

After reading Kit's reply I went out and looked at my door. I suspect Kit has some other model of Motor Trike. I don't see the bar he speaks of. The only adjustment I see would be to loosen the bolts on the hinges and see if they will move at all. I'd mark them before moving to be sure you can at least get them back to the original position. Putting a light coat of grease on the seal might help you determine were the leak is so you will know where to move things. If all that fails a call to Richard at Motor Trike is probably you next best move. I looked in the install manual and there is nothing about trunk door adjustment as I suspect that is done at the factory before the kit is shipped.

Good luck with the fix.....
That thar bar is up high, up where the lid wires clip into the latches. The entire top bar can be slid in or out and adjusted. It has the micro switches, and the wire pulls to open the door all as apart of the top assembly.

Now adjusting it is a pain, as you do have to be able to access the fasteners and that is best done with the wheels off so you can get up into the wheel wells........

If you count on things being correct from the factory........what is that song from Jaws.......

Fare thee well my fair lady..........chuckle.

My recommendation to Motor Trike would be to not use the micro switch situation as even if and when the lid is properly adusted and secured shut and weather seal is fine, those switches will say.......door open........so slamming takes place, frustration is present and the entire thing gets out of whack..........they did not used to use that indicator, but perhaps the public demands they do, so it does cause problems long term in use.

Unlike the most of the public, I know if my door is open or shut, a gentle push you can hear it latch but that stupid micro switch says........door open.........unplug it, cut the wire, change the oil, something. Lol!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine does not have the switches. I will check out the latches. Thanks!

·
IronMan
17,452 Posts
Not sure how gaskets are / type on trunk but on wing trunk / saddlebags we put airline hose /aquarium type and feed it thru gasket .keeps pressure on seal . Good luck.

·
Registered
734 Posts
That thar bar is up high, up where the lid wires clip into the latches. The entire top bar can be slid in or out and adjusted. It has the micro switches, and the wire pulls to open the door all as apart of the top assembly.

Now adjusting it is a pain, as you do have to be able to access the fasteners and that is best done with the wheels off so you can get up into the wheel wells........

If you count on things being correct from the factory........what is that song from Jaws.......

Fare thee well my fair lady..........chuckle.

My recommendation to Motor Trike would be to not use the micro switch situation as even if and when the lid is properly adusted and secured shut and weather seal is fine, those switches will say.......door open........so slamming takes place, frustration is present and the entire thing gets out of whack..........they did not used to use that indicator, but perhaps the public demands they do, so it does cause problems long term in use.

Unlike the most of the public, I know if my door is open or shut, a gentle push you can hear it latch but that stupid micro switch says........door open.........unplug it, cut the wire, change the oil, something. Lol!

Hey Kit, do you have a Motor Trike Adventure conversion (IRS) like Randy and I or one of the other MT conversions? I went back out and looked at mine and just don't see what you are talking about. My latch mechanism is mounted on a plate, not a bar. I don't see anything in the wheel wells that would adjust. Not trying to be argumentative here. I may need that information some day so you might have to draw me a picture..... I did see something in the Spider/2+2 manual that looks like it may be a bar...

YUP, those switches are a pain in the rear. Remember them being that way as a two wheeler...... I agree that they are pretty useless on the trikes.

John, the seals on the Adventure kits are not like the Honda OEM trunk seals. I did the same trick on my upper trunk years ago. Sure takes care of the rattle and chaffing....

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Hey Kit, do you have a Motor Trike Adventure conversion (IRS) like Randy and I or one of the other MT conversions? I went back out and looked at mine and just don't see what you are talking about. My latch mechanism is mounted on a plate, not a bar. I don't see anything in the wheel wells that would adjust. Not trying to be argumentative here. I may need that information some day so you might have to draw me a picture..... I did see something in the Spider/2+2 manual that looks like it may be a bar...

YUP, those switches are a pain in the rear. Remember them being that way as a two wheeler...... I agree that they are pretty useless on the trikes.

John, the seals on the Adventure kits are not like the Honda OEM trunk seals. I did the same trick on my upper trunk years ago. Sure takes care of the rattle and chaffing....
2014 Adventure.........I suppose you can call it several things, bar, plate, assembly mechanism. All or one or the same. Metal plate with support bar in rear, has the latches and cable and opening mechanism all in the assembly.

It is slotted in the plate and you can adjust it by the bolts that hold the plate to the top of the trunk area.

Have not seen any spiders though.............

I also have no more flashing nonsense on the display panel, unplugged the main cable connector.

·
Registered
734 Posts
So there you have it Randy. The top latch assembly gets adjusted to correct the top fit with these five bolts holding the top plate in place (see picture) and the hinges would adjust the bottom fit. As I hinted at first I'd call and talk with Richard if you haven't already. They can tell you better than any of us "Guessers" the correct procedure. I don't know what sort of mess you'd get into if you loosened the five plate bolts. You might have to pull the top trunk to get to nuts. That wouldn't be fun....

Good Luck my Friend...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Make sure that it is actually the lid that is leaking. MotorTrike has had some problems with holes in the fiberglass in the area around the lights that will flood the trunk.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, I had problems with it leaking in by tail lights and got that fix (I HOPE ! ). This seem to be coming around the door. Because stuff that was on top was dripping soaked more then the lower things. I haven't been able to work on it yet, but hopping to this Monday.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Make sure that it is actually the lid that is leaking. MotorTrike has had some problems with holes in the fiberglass in the area around the lights that will flood the trunk.
With all things there is always something, something to put a sour pill in the mix. Human error, oversight or just plain ignorance.
On my 2014 Motor Trike there seems to be a double walled area where the tail lights are. The studs on the original lights evidently are not long enough to go through the two walls. For sure there are two layers of glass there with the lights secured to the layer closest to the light area. About a 1/4 inch annular space between the two layers.

Careful checking of it all seems to show that the inner part is fully glassed with no chance of water intrusion to the trunk unless a bit did go around the unsealed stud and nut in the inner layer.
The problem is that the outside layer glassed with the inner has no drain holes at the bottom so water that does get trapped inside the two layers just sits there.

So one day when doing work as the outside layer or wheel well layer is already drilled and chopped up in the process of trying to find the stud ends I think when the wheels or one wheel at a time is off, I will just carefully trim a neat square out of the outer wheel side layer and then use black RTV silly cone and seal the annular space between the two layers. That will make it look neat, and also stop water from being trapped between layers.

Yep always something we have to remodel, improve, or fix. But hey, keeps life interesting I suppose.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got a minute look at the latches. I see what Kit was talking about taking wheels off to get at the nuts. And what I seen is the bottom is sealing and the top is not touching. Now I the time to jack it up and take the wheels off and adjust it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there away to easily get under the top trunk?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Is there away to easily get under the top trunk?
If there is I don't know it Randy. Just follow the service manual like it was a two wheeler. There may be slight differences but I bet you will figure it out. Sorry you are having to go through this. It is a pain in the butt for sure.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have seen where they tipped the trunk forward. But didn't how they did it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts