GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Don't know if the Jaws of Life are designed to do what they attempted. Not a rescue worker and have no knowledge of their techniques.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Very tragic. I feel for many people involved, including the folks who tried to save him - they will live with their decision forever and they are heros day in and day out.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I don't understand the point of this thread.:shrug:
Is the intent to bash the rescuers??.

Yes it's a tragedy that a motorcyclist lost his life.condolences to his family and friends.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The point of the thread is too be careful of motorists in cars as this is labor day. The driver of the car seems to have been at fault not the motorcyclist or the rescue workers.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
The point of the thread is too be careful of motorists in cars as this is labor day. The driver of the car seems to have been at fault not the motorcyclist or the rescue workers.
"Safety First" doesn't take a day off!

I think we as motorcyclist should be aware of this 24/7/365.Like whenever we toss a leg over any saddle.:doorag:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The "Jaws of Life" (spreaders) are used to spread parts of a vehicle or object to gain access to the patient(s); they are not intended (nor safe) to be used as a lift. For lifting a vehicle, a combination of wheel chocks (to reduce lateral movement), wood blocks (to support the vehicle after being lifted), and air bags (to do the lifting) is necessary. These items need to be operated by persons trained and experienced in their use.

I have seen cases in which a vehicle was lifted from a living patient's lower half, and the patient then dies almost immediately. If a heavy object/vehicle is on the patient's chest, then there is a probability of sufficient chest trauma to kill the patient within a short time.

What was the patient's actual cause of death?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I watched the video. I never saw the jaws used to lift a car before, but...obviously you can lift a car. I don't think that is the prescribed procedure. Looks like the car slid off the narrow lip of the jaws.

What I do find interesting is that with all the people standing around a front wheel drive Ford Taurus that could be lifted by five or six people in one corner of the car - all I saw is people standing around......or they should have waited for the airbag lift. I have seen before videos of four or five teenage rioters lift up a car before they set it on fire. Sad mistake but we do not know if he would have survived a normal extraction. Just some Monday morning quarterbacking.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think the car was still in gear or neutral. It rolled forward off of the jack.
He was likely already at the point of no return...Sad for the young man. I'm sure the 70 year old was another "Did not see him" driver. :-(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts