GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Covid-19 keeping us at home in quarantine, we all are trying to keep our sanity until this crisis passes. Hopefully you are taking this seriously?!!!

Finding things to do around the house without driving yourself or wife crazy may start to be a challenge in itself.

With that said, what motorcycle books have you read that you would recommend to others? With the Kindle app it is very easy to download a book and it is usually cheaper than the regular book. But there is always Amazon for the actual book. Plus Kindle books are available to order from Amazon also. Here are a few MC books I have read and would recommend:

Conversations With A Motorcycle by Jack Riepe....................Starts a little slow but really gets good.

Ghost Rider by Neil Peart

No Thru Road by Clement Salvadori

Wingin It Again!! Florida To Alaska and Back by William Spicer

The Unleash Your Adventure Packlist: What To Take, What To Leave, & The Hows And Whys Of Motorcycle Travel by Patrick Schweizer

Anxiety Across The Americas One Man's 20,000 Mile Motorcycle Journey by Bill Dwyer

Adventurous Motorcyclist's Guide To Alaska by Lee Klancher and Phil Freeman

These are books I recommend and have enjoyed reading either for pleasure or trip planning.

What books would you recommend to us?

ps....please stay safe and take this virus situation seriously. Your life or someone's else's may depend on what you do. Don't bring it back to someone you love!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Lois on the loose - Lois Pryce
Red tape and white knuckles - Lois Pryce
Old Man on a Bike - Simon Gandolfi
Life America and the Road - Jefe Smith

·
Registered
363 Posts
Life, America And The Road. A biker‘s perspective.
and
Life, America And The Road To Key West. A biker’s perspective.
Both books by Jefe Smith and available on Kindle.

Chronicles Of A Motorcycle Gypsy: A 49 States Tour. by Tiffani Burkett
also available on Kindle

·
Registered
313 Posts
"One Man Caravan", wrtten by Rober E. Fulton Jr. Fulton, an American who studied architecture in London, England, was one of the first to ride 'round the world on a motorcycle. He published the book on his adventure in 1937.

Tim

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
"In To The Heart of Africa" by Jerry Smith (Amazon). Jerry was a motorcycle dealer in Iowa for many years and did "adventure" rides long before adventure bikes and it was "the thing".

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for the great suggestions! I will keep these all in mind and I plan to download my first book tonight and get started reading again.

Thank you again everyone and please stay safe in these troublesome times!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
"Riding High, Jupiter's Travels and Dreaming of Jupiter" by Ted Simon
"The Longest Ride" by Emilio Scotto
"Alaska," By Lee Klancher
"Adventure Motorcycling Handbook" by Chris Scott
"101 Road Tales" by Clement Salvadori
"Long Way Round" by Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman
"Ridin the Wind" by Peter Adamski
"Riding the World" by Gregory Frazier
"Ghost Rider" by Neil Peart

·
Registered
24 Posts
Across America by Motor-Cycle by C.K. Shepherd.

"A veteran of World War I, British RAF Captain C.K. Shepherd arrived in New York in June 1919, bought a top-of-the-line Henderson four-cylinder motorcycle, and headed west on a solo cross-country adventure to see America, arriving in San Francisco two months later. Having completed his voyage, he sold his beloved motorcycle, dubbed “Lizzie,” on the street in San Francisco and then made his way back to his home in Birmingham, England. Three years later, he wrote Across America by Motor-Cycle—a memoir and travelogue that has become a motorcycle history classic."

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
I generally want to learn something when I read. (I'm a nerd. I actually enjoy reading technical manuals.) Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. It is a series of books. I have 3 of them. Don't know if there are more. Easy to read and not too technical, but when it does get technical, it's not on an engineering level.

I also enjoyed The Longest Ride by Emilio Scotto.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
"The Motorcycle Diaries" by Che Guevara
I haven't read the book but did see the movie. First half was very interesting, full of fun and adventure, but then too political for the second half. Is the book the same?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Is the book the same?
I believe so. I read it many years ago. A good motorcycle diary and an interesting insight into the logic of the man and by extension those that followed him. Not a good guy, but probably good to understand him from my/our own self interest point of view.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Been lucky here. Never really been bored. I always have more projects than time. I'm doing some big home repairs I’ve been putting off for a decade or two. The timing is perfect because I was planning on doing these projects this spring during our dry season anyway.

I do miss going out to breakfast once in a while and I was looking forward to baseball season starting up.

No book reading here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts