GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to purchase some motorcycle specfic, boots to replace a pair of regular work boots that I've just about worn out. I'm looking for the extra protection a m/c boots provide, although I hope I never need it.

I'm weighing the pros and cons of waterproof boots. Through some very exhaustive searches on this forum (and the web,) I've found quite a few threads about waterproof boots, but not a whole lot about how they are in hot weather.

Waterproof or not, here is the criteria:
They shouldn't roast my feet when its 95 degrees.
They need to be comfortable for occasional walking (At times, I carry sneakers if walking is in the game plan.)
They need to provide extra protection beyond what a "work boot" would have.
IMO, the "Power Ranger" look isn't too bad if the boots are mostly black...

For a waterproof boot, it looks like the Sidi "Way" or "Sport Tepor" are right up there with the Oxtar "Matrix Gore-Tex." Looking at spending about $150 to $180 and I'm familiar with NewEnough. My biggest question is how to minimize dreaded "hot foot?" From my searches, sounds like the Cool Max socks help with the Summer heat.

The other direction I could ge it to get a m/c boot that is not waterproof and just carry my rain gear since the majority of my riding is during fair weather. Any suggestions for a non-waterproof m/c boot?

Any other input or opinions would be appreciated regarding motorcycle boots or socks.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Fatfenders said:
I'm planning to purchase some motorcycle specfic, boots to replace a pair of regular work boots that I've just about worn out. I'm looking for the extra protection a m/c boots provide, although I hope I never need it.

I'm weighing the pros and cons of waterproof boots. Through some very exhaustive searches on this forum (and the web,) I've found quite a few threads about waterproof boots, but not a whole lot about how they are in hot weather.

Waterproof or not, here is the criteria:
They shouldn't roast my feet when its 95 degrees.
They need to be comfortable for occasional walking (At times, I carry sneakers if walking is in the game plan.)
They need to provide extra protection beyond what a "work boot" would have.
IMO, the "Power Ranger" look isn't too bad if the boots are mostly black...

For a waterproof boot, it looks like the Sidi "Way" or "Sport Tepor" are right up there with the Oxtar "Matrix Gore-Tex." Looking at spending about $150 to $180 and I'm familiar with NewEnough. My biggest question is how to minimize dreaded "hot foot?" From my searches, sounds like the Cool Max socks help with the Summer heat.

The other direction I could ge it to get a m/c boot that is not waterproof and just carry my rain gear since the majority of my riding is during fair weather. Any suggestions for a non-waterproof m/c boot?

Any other input or opinions would be appreciated regarding motorcycle boots or socks.
I just purchased the Oxtar "Matrix 2 Gore-Tex" boots...they are fantastic. Worth the money.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
I have the Oxtar also. Great for riding and very comfortable walking. I find that I hardly ever change to tennis shoes when off the bike doing the tourist thing. I haven't had an issue with heat during the summer, and thick socks work in the winter.
I've had them a couple years and will buy them again when the time comes.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I too don't go in for some of those bizarre MC boot designs out there and wear kind of a basic looking Alpine Star waterproof gore-tex boot. I wear them year round and just alter sock types. I ride in a lot of 95 degree weather and haven't noticed any issues. A good quality boot like this will be in the buck fifty range.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I've been wearing the The Classic 9" Side zip boot from Original Swat for the last two years. A pair lasts me about a year, and I wear them every day.

They are light weight and comfortable. I used to carry an extra pair of shoes for walking also, but these are so comfortable that I no longer do. They have a waterproof version of this boot also. There was only one time I wished for a waterproof boot and that was in a downpour where I could not see more than about 25 feet.

http://www.originalswat.com/home.shtml

·
Registered
55 Posts
We use Bates Swat/Military boots. Although not waterproof because of the mesh sides, they are cool, and dry very fast when wet. A plus is that they are great to walk in. They are reasonable in price too - under $100 and probably closer to $75 in most civilian stores (surplus, police wear, etc.)

My wife and I both use these boots and have been very happy with them - and that includes the extremes of riding - the Mojave desert in summer, the Michigan UP in a driving rain, and the cold of Ohio in November.

·
Premium Member
19,867 Posts
I use BMW boots got a $200(closeout) pair for $25
could not turn down

my next pair will be Sidi

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a pair of the original Oxtar Matrix that have worn out... couldn't see spending $180 for the new redesigned pair. Bought a pair of Tourmaster WP boots for $108 with free shipping. Very happy with them... very comfortable!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cruiserworks boots for me. There are no cons for waterproof boots, any kind. If you have ever been caught in a rainstorm on a cool or cold night, you know that cold feet may be tolerated, but cold-wet feet are the ultimate in discomfort. The nice thing about the Cruiserworks is that I can ride with them on to work, and not have to change into "acceptable office atire shoes". They don't look like "Biker Boots" and are really comfortable all day long. Get the cool-max socks from SIDI at Newenough.com for the summer.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I know a guy in Houston that swears by the Sidi OnRoad boots. He's on his second pair. His first pair lasted 4 or 5 years and needed a re-sole. He opted to buy a new pair instead. He wears them year round, commutes everyday and is a IBA guy. The Way and Sport Tepor's are made the same way. Well they were before they changed the OnRoads to GoreTex. Heat shouldn't be a problem. I'm saving up for the OnRoads myself. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The secret to keeping feet cool in warm weather (mine anyway) are cool max type socks. If you use cotton socks in the heat of summer, you will cook in waterproof boots. I use a wool blend sock in the cooler weather. This will work fine for most folks.

Cruiserworks recommends a cool max type sock with their waterproof boots. Most people have been happy with the Cruiserworks boots. They are around $200 for men's.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Fatfenders said:
...Any other input or opinions would be appreciated regarding motorcycle boots or socks.
It has been my experience that, generally speaking, motorcycle-specific boots are made in Europe and they tend to use different sizing when compared to others. So make every effort to try them on before you buy.

As mentioned above, including non-mc-specific boots brings many others into consideration. IMHO, many of these will outperform (protection, heat, cool, waterproof, style, comfort to name a few) a large percent of the MC boots.

Good luck in your search!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate all the feedback and will look into some of the suggested boots. Keep the suggestions coming. Spring is a ways off yet so I'm not rushed to buy right now.

In any case, I most certainly will be getting some Cool Max socks. Never had them before and they certainly sound like they'll improve Summer comfort no matter the boot type.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts