GL1800Riders Forums banner

Motorcycle Boots and Summer Heat

4K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  Gary in Indiana 
G
#1 ·
I'm planning to purchase some motorcycle specfic, boots to replace a pair of regular work boots that I've just about worn out. I'm looking for the extra protection a m/c boots provide, although I hope I never need it.

I'm weighing the pros and cons of waterproof boots. Through some very exhaustive searches on this forum (and the web,) I've found quite a few threads about waterproof boots, but not a whole lot about how they are in hot weather.

Waterproof or not, here is the criteria:
They shouldn't roast my feet when its 95 degrees.
They need to be comfortable for occasional walking (At times, I carry sneakers if walking is in the game plan.)
They need to provide extra protection beyond what a "work boot" would have.
IMO, the "Power Ranger" look isn't too bad if the boots are mostly black...

For a waterproof boot, it looks like the Sidi "Way" or "Sport Tepor" are right up there with the Oxtar "Matrix Gore-Tex." Looking at spending about $150 to $180 and I'm familiar with NewEnough. My biggest question is how to minimize dreaded "hot foot?" From my searches, sounds like the Cool Max socks help with the Summer heat.

The other direction I could ge it to get a m/c boot that is not waterproof and just carry my rain gear since the majority of my riding is during fair weather. Any suggestions for a non-waterproof m/c boot?

Any other input or opinions would be appreciated regarding motorcycle boots or socks.

See less See more
#27 ·
Wekneedragger: No leaks ever, although I do try to avoid riding in downpours. (usually just if I get caught out in it)
Fatfenders: They are mostly euro sized for instance my euro size is a 47, I believe that is about a 13 US. I wouldn't buy them without trying them on first. My experience has been that no two pair of boots or shoes are sized identically.

http://www.denniskirk.com/denniskirk/b2 ... 650136.jpg

#31 ·
Sidi Boots

We're breaking in our Sidi Canyon Sympatex boots...so far so good. Goretex lined and I was looking for warmth which they've provided thus far. Don't know what the summer will bring, but here in Phoenix I'm hoping the insulation will help minimize heat transfer as well. Hey, but it's a dry heat :wink:

#32 ·
Motorcycle Boots

I live in Oregon in the summer and Arizona in the winter and I absolutely love my Cruiserworks boots. Best boots I have ever owned and wouldn't think twice about buying them again. I also buy my socks from Cruiserworks and I love them too. I have never had a boot as comfortable as Cruiserworks.

G
#33 ·
Seems like alot of people really like the Cruiserworks boots. My concern with that type of boot is, will it stay on if I crash? Only the Commando and the new Defender have straps at the top that appear to be adjustable so the boot fits tighter. The other thing I'm looking at is that sharp heel. None of my other boots have a 90 degree heel, so I'm used to sliding them forward off the pegs. If they hang up, hell, I could fall over. :shock: None the less, its probably more a matter of that style just doesn't do it for me. Guess that's why there's so many varieties...

I'm still following this thread closely. My money is still in my pocket and old man Winter isn't leaving any time soon. I won't be making any rush decisions. Ongoing feedback is appreciated! :)

#34 ·
Fatfenders said:
Seems like alot of people really like the Cruiserworks boots. My concern with that type of boot is, will it stay on if I crash? Only the Commando and the new Defender have straps at the top that appear to be adjustable so the boot fits tighter. The other thing I'm looking at is that sharp heel. None of my other boots have a 90 degree heel, so I'm used to sliding them forward off the pegs. If they hang up, hell, I could fall over. :shock: None the less, its probably more a matter of that style just doesn't do it for me. Guess that's why there's so many varieties...

I'm still following this thread closely. My money is still in my pocket and old man Winter isn't leaving any time soon. I won't be making any rush decisions. Ongoing feedback is appreciated! :)

Well, in Madison, which I ride thru enroute to MSP or Wis. Dells, winter will only be there till July 14th, so you have time......lol !

I agree with your assertion about the boot 'staying on', and according to Cruiserworks about the 90 deg heel.........

90 DEGREE HEEL
Hangs comfortably on pegs, puts more bite in your stride.
IMHO, my feet don't 'slide' off the pegs with this type of heel.

#35 ·
I have been wearing boots by a company called Vendramini. I looked at many and I have no regrets about spending a little more on these. One thing not mentioned in the article in the first link is that mine also have a phase change material in them called Outlast. There is a link for that too. These are hand made. I have the Marathon Steel and can be seen in the third link...just scroll down the page. I didn't get mine there. Got mine on sale for $300. from a place in Chicago. Unfortunately they moved to Canada.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-boots/

http://www.outlast.com/index.php?id=71

http://www.bikerworldusa.com/vendramini.html

#37 ·
I just ordered a pair of Bates 8" side zip tactical boots for summer riding. On the up side, they should be safe, comfortable, relatively cool and easy to get on and off and they were just under $51 delivered to my door for my petite little size fifteens. :wink:

On the down side, they are not overly attractive (then again, they're 8" black boots) and are not waterproof. From what I've seen you can get waterproof or side zip but not both. Still, all in all, if they fit comfortably, I'll be happy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.