GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally decided that I need to upgrade my footwear from my old work boots, and have been shopping for a good pair of riding boots. All of the boots I am seeing, have rather smooth bottoms. This concerns me, as I believe that these type of boots will slide right out from under me when I put my feet down on gravel. I have always thought that a good boot should have a lug sole. Thoughts, comments, recommendations?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have finally decided that I need to upgrade my footwear from my old work boots, and have been shopping for a good pair of riding boots. All of the boots I am seeing, have rather smooth bottoms. This concerns me, as I believe that these type of boots will slide right out from under me when I put my feet down on gravel. I have always thought that a good boot should have a lug sole. Thoughts, comments, recommendations?
I bought a new pair of Alpinestars last spring. They're waterproof and very comfortable. I haven't had any problems with sole grip.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Tourmaster boots including the current 2.0 Solutions have performed well for me.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Like oil, filters and lights, you'll get various answers. For, I use 95% of the time Gaerne G1. A bit higher for shin protection but can wear all day. when Im lazy, Its Salomon Gortex boots or 9" wolverines. all 3 are waterproof but the gaerne provides the most protection. good luck deciding....

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
My needs in motorcycle boots are....no smooth bottom soles and a Goretex liner in the insides and be made of leather on the outside....motorcycle boots that are made that way cost more money but they are waterproof and let your feet breath, which keeps your feet dry and comfortable in any weather....fake leather boots make your feet sweat and feel wet in warmer weather...well at least for me.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Bates. I have an 'old school' style with laces up front, zip sides, tall heal to clamp over pegs, and vibram like soles. They are not insulated and not waterproof, but I love them. Can't tell you how many times they have 'stuck' on the pavement with fine gravel, when my other footware has slipped.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I bought some imported boots from Wingstuff, sad mistake..... and I waited too long to send them back.
Asian design with very narrow sizing compared to my 11-EEEE foot. I ordered up 2 sizes larger referring to the Euro-USA conversion chart, and they are still too small.

Not only that, the uppers are a joke, no way in hell to zip them up, as they barely bit around my thigh enough to slip them on, much less zip them up.... wasted money....

I will stick with a local vendor like Red Wings from now on.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I bought Forma Adventure Lows a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier. Unlike most boots I've worn over the years, I can walk around comfortably all day in them.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've been wearing Bates gortex lined boots for a number of years. Affordable and have never had wet feet.

They have Technical fabric panels that breathe during hot weather unlike full leather waterproof boots that are oiled and do not breathe.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I bought Forma Adventure Lows a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier. Unlike most boots I've worn over the years, I can walk around comfortably all day in them.

the problem that I see with nearly all boots, are they assume that everyone has the same Width foot.
I went to that website and no widths are available, just a size.

I have a very high arch, and very wide front of my foot, that came from me going barefoot in Oklahoma sand for most of my growing up years.... my feet were never restricted to fit the narrow toed crap that is being made. that is the reason that I can't wear cowboy boots, too damn narrow in the toes....

I once had a pair of Justin low cut western boots made for going to church, they measured my feet and made a last for just me.... extremely comfortable, I wore them for years....

Even at Red Wings, there are very few boots that are wide enough for my feet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cruiserworks ,never have wet feet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Whatever you do, be sure the boot has ce rated protection built in. Heel, toe and ankle shielding. Otherwise it’s just a boot. If a sole is flat but has siping... grooves in the sole, will work better on oil and water than lugged soles. A lugged sole is good for biting into soft ground like gravel, but it also reduces the surface area to grip with. Go with a good combination of siping on the soles, logs around the edges. I use TCX hero model. Work well. A bit bulky and hot in the summer heat off the bike But that really doesn’t count.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Also... it should fit securely so it doesn’t come off in a crash! Zip ups, cowboy boots and most work boots don’t meet this requirement. But they look good.

·
Registered
504 Posts
When I commute to work on my GL1800, I tend to wear Dr. Martens which are basically military combat boots. They have non-slip and deeper tread.

But for weekend and touring rides, its my Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex Boots (knee high). They are non-slip as well but don't have an aggressive tread.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I have tried several types of boots and have found that I like Carolina brand, non steel toe, work boots. Leather, vibram sole, waterproof and a couple of different heights to choose from. I want a boot that is comfortable to walk/hike in when we stop to take photos or site see. An added bonus is they don't cost an arm and a leg. I am on my 3rd season with this pair and would buy them again when needed. Carolina CA3036 Boots

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Tourmaster boots including the current 2.0 Solutions have performed well for me.

Do these boots run true to size as in the same size you've always worn
Thanks

1 - 20 of 50 Posts