GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060912/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/motorcycle_safety

Based on what has happened recently on this board this article seems quite apropos.

WASHINGTON - Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's near-fatal crash on a motorcycle this year reflected a troubling trend: More bikers are getting killed on the road.

Roethlisberger's June 12 accident was one of three within two days that the National Transportation Safety Board looked into. The accidents, which killed seven people, were the first the safety board ever investigated.

"This trend is very troubling," said NTSB member Debbie Hersman, who chaired a two-day forum on motorcycle safety that began Tuesday. "The number of fatalities is outpacing the increase in ridership."

Late-blooming motorheads are part of the problem. The average rider is older now, and the average age of riders killed is also on the rise.

In the last 10 years, there has been a 230 percent increase in fatalities among motorcycle riders who've reached their 40th birthday, according to Umesh Shankar of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Fatalities are also on the rise for seniors on hogs, according to Shankar.

As riders get older, motorcycles get bigger. The number of 50-plus riders killed in a crash involving a bike with a 1,001-1,500 cc engine rose 540 percent in the past decade, Shankar said.

Alcohol continues to kill motorcycle riders. Of those who died in a solo crash in 2004, 41 percent had a blood alcohol concentration above the legal limit of .08, Hersman said.

Ted Miller, a safety economist with the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, blames the rise in motorcycle deaths on plummeting helmet use.

At one time almost every state required all motorcycle riders to wear helmets, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Now, only 20 states and the District of Columbia require riders to wear protective helmets, according to the institute, which is funded by the insurance industry.

Pennsylvania repealed its mandatory law in 2003, which is why Roethlisberger, 24, wasn't wearing a helmet when he crashed on Second Avenue in Pittsburgh.

James "Doc" Reichenbach, a bearded and tattooed biker who lives in Silver Springs, Fla., said better statistics are needed to show whether or not helmets protect riders.

He said helmet laws infringe on his rights. "I did three tours in Vietnam," he said. "I have a right to decide for myself whether I wear one or not."

Motorcyclists are often the victims of drivers who don't see them. Roethlisberger came close to death in such an accident. He rammed into a 1996 Chrysler New Yorker that failed to yield when making a left turn.

Research is needed into ways to improve the visibility of motorcyclists, as well as the effectiveness of protective gear, the NTSB was told.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
interesting, they forgot to mention that the number of bikes sold has increased 10 fold in the last 10 years.

as far as Drinking and driving, well it's stupid to start with, but DWI on a bike is beyond stupid and i have no sympathy for anyone that drinks and drives.

In western NY, in the last 9 days we have had 4 motorcycle related deaths. One last week was a person ( cager ) turned into 3 BIKERS........I'm positive the cager will say he/she didn't see THREE MOTORCYCLES coming at him

·
Registered
601 Posts
J-mac said:
as far as Drinking and driving, well it's stupid to start with, but DWI on a bike is beyond stupid and i have no sympathy for anyone that drinks and drives.
I agree, I thought, when reading the article, they shouldn't even count the ones that were Drunk as part of the stats .. that would lower it some.
Back in the 80's, I saw a program about drinking and driving that changed my outlook.
3 or more friends were at the lake camping out for the weekend, one of them, that had ridden his bike there, forgot something at home, so after several beers, he decided to go home real quick to get what he left, he lived somewhat close, on his way, he veered into the oncoming lane head to head with an 18 wheeler, guess who won.
They put the 18 wheeler at about 60 MPH and the bike at 120, It was a 180 MPH impact, The bike was lodged in the front of the rig....
This made me decide, I will never drink and drive again, that and my nieces and nephews(babies at the time.), (the thought of hitting and killing someone would not set well with me.)
(I Know I kinda strayed, be gentle when ya beat me .. )

I do not wear my helmet all the time, I like the Free feeling of the wind blowing through my hair .. or cascading over my bald head .. which ever ..
But... I Will NEVER drink and drive .. I drink .. a lot some say .. But when I drink, even 1 beer, I will not get behind the handlebars or wheel of any vehicle..
My Wife is my Designated driver, And she is Very happy with that...

Be Safe People ..
Keep an eye out for those that Do Not see you..
Ride as if Everyone on the road is out to get you ...

·
Registered
160 Posts
How about all the 16-18 yr olds with the testerone driven sportbikes!!

I thought I was invincible on a 350 Honda in the 70's!

If I had a 650 sportbike then, I would be in a box!

Nearly 70% of all motorcycle accidents involve an unlicensed rider with little experience!

Maybe she can't see the number of motorcyle riders that are of the younger generation!!

Don't get me wrong, Many of these kids ride responsibly, but the wheelies, stoppies and riding down the interstate on the back wheel at over 70MPH is what gets me!!!

Enough of my soap box! Sorry for ranting!

G

·
The article seems to be guessing on what causes all the cycle accidents.

It mentions:

Lack of helmets
Bigger bikes
Hogs
naked women

I wish they'd make up their mind.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
When I see what people are wearing while riding it is no wonder that more people are being killed. I cannot believe anyone would ride without a helmet and I know this might require a flame suit, but even the half helmets many guys wear really are not going to protect you in many crashes. Ask my friend who witnessed and lost a riding buddy. He landed face first in an accident. His half helmet did nothing to protect him from instant death. The beannie helmets are a joke. I drive all day long for work and see so many biker bad habits on the road. Bikers tailgating at 70 and 80mph, packs of riders riding too close to one another at high speed. You hear about these stories of cars taking out 3 and 3 riders at once. Now you add drinking? We all know even the most careful rider is at risk. You add bad riding habits, a lack of skill, training, and protection, and then drinking? None of this surprises me in the least. In fact I am surprised I don't read about more deaths.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Looks like the law of averages is following the number of bikes on the road pretty close. The best way to make a bike safe is render it unusable. The only sure fire way to avoid death is to never get born. I think some people need to sell their bikes and use the money for a bomb shelter or something safe like that.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
twodogs1800 said:
When the good Lord pulls your number, your outta here no matter what your wearing.
Yeah, right! And if you believe in that, next time you drive to the food store, drive with your eyes closed!

Flame suit is on!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Riding a motorcycle is dangerous! Avoid it at any cost!

Unless, of course, you wear proper riding gear, practice everything you learned in the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course (you did take the course, right?) Do not let your testsoterone control your right hand, and hold the alcohol until AFTER the ride.
Simple.

Be alert.
Wear a helmet (sorry to you fools who go without).
Assume that all the other vehicles are out to get you.

The statistics of deaths on a motorcycle. If you remove the one vehicle accidents (rider runs off road, hit tree at 80 MPH, whose fault is THAT?) and the alcohol related deaths, riding a motorcycle is still more dangerous than driving a car, but not too much.

Ride safe. Ride sober. Ride with proper riding attire.

·
Vendor
22,244 Posts
Ted Miller, a safety economist with the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, blames the rise in motorcycle deaths on plummeting helmet use.
No big suprise here. I have been in three pretty serious motorcycle accidents, and in all three my head bounced on the pavement. In the most recent one, my head hit a brick cemented to the bottom of a concrete drainage ditch after a low side at speed.

If I hadn't been wearing a helmet in any one of them I wouldn't have lived to tell about it.

If I hadn't been wearing a helmet, then I guess it would have been my time, but since I was, I got to go on living a few more years.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
no doubt about it, helmets save lives.

But I think it's an individuals right to choose.

I personally I will wear a helmet regardless of the law. I just feel more comfortable wearing a helmet

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Why call people who don't wear helmets fools? I know enough people who say if you ride a bike your a complete moron or a scum bucket low life. I wear a Shoie half helmet because my wife wants me too. Don't like full face because I find them just plain hot and too confining. Also riding a bike for me is the feeling of experincing every mile, and the freedom of riding. If I had to armor up and worry about getting hurt I would just find another safe hobby like recreational tiddly-winks. Drive like 85% of drivers on road are complete idiots(most are) goes a long way towards staying alive.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
1. MSF Course and a license (and actual practice at things such as avoiding road hazards)
2. defensive driving around others, think about what you're doing when alone (particularly when alone...don't get lulled into the joy of the ride past the point of safety)
3. some sort of gear minimally (I choose helmet a lot..my choice...but the avatar shows I'm a hypocrite)
4. no alcohol, not one drop (did it once, felt the difference, never again)
5. have fun but don't ride like an a_ _
6. maintain the bike...brakes, air pressure, clean windshield

I think the reason so many are dying starts with #1 and goes through the list nicely, myself. I've seen #1 up close (just this past weekend) when my boss decided to borrow a buddie's bike and "go for a ride" with me...when I found out he hadn't ridden in years I was worried and he lived up to the expectation...any problem he would have encountered would have been a problem immediately. But he looked good on the (fill in the brand) with the (fill in the brand) matching accessories etc....more important to him that being safe.

Rant done. ttfn

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
interesting, they forgot to mention that the number of bikes sold has increased 10 fold in the last 10 years.
I don't know where you get your data from, but that is completely wrong. It has increased about 3 fold, with scooters being responsible for a large chunk of that, and keep in mind that they sold more bikes in the 70s than they do today. Sales are actually lower.

The article did mention that deaths are outpacing sales. They didn't forget to mention it.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
The article seems to be guessing on what causes all the cycle accidents.

It mentions:

Lack of helmets
Bigger bikes
Hogs
naked women

I wish they'd make up their mind.
They forgot to mention the increase on SUVs, which means bikers are hitting and being hit by bigger vehicles.

I also would love to see a graph of all vehicle crashes next to a graph tracking cell phone sales and use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts