GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on Hwy 20 just before the entrance to I-80 near Nevada City, CA and there had been a motorcycle accident. It appeared the motorcycle may have hit a deer. The rider was covered with a blue tarp and obviously did not survive. If anyone knows anything about this accident, please post here. I have not found anything in the media yet.

Prayers go out to his family.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Nevada City man killed in motorcycle crash

Nevada City resident David Crain died Monday morning after his motorcycle collided with a deer in Yuba County.

Crain, 49, was traveling north at about 9 a.m. on a straight section of Willow Glen Road south of Brownsville at about 55 mph, according to a report from the California Highway Patrol. A deer ran into the road directly in front of him and Crain did not have time to react, the CHP report said.

Crain collided with the deer and his motorcycle went off the road into a rocky ditch and flipped over, ejecting him.

He was not wearing a Caltrans-approved helmet, although a press release said that a helmet might not have prevented his injuries.

Crain's sister-in-law said he wanted to be cremated and a memorial service was in the works.

Crain worked at Nevada City eatery Ike's Quarter Cafe, which will be closed today to honor his memory. Anyone is welcome to drop flowers at the gate for remembrance.

“He worked for us for more than six years,” said Ike Frazee. “He did a bit of everything (including prep work, dishwashing, ordering and compiling time cards) ... He was an irreplaceable guy. He was family.”

Frazee said he has offered his cafe to Crain's family for a memorial service, adding he would love to “incorporate some sort of remembrance, like a New Orleans jazz funeral.

“He was such a special person in so many different ways,” Frazee said. “He was so solid. In the midst of all the craziness, he would have three good calming words to say. He was just real level-headed, just an awesome person.”

To contact Staff Writer Liz Kellar, e-mail [email protected] or call (530) 477-4229.

http://www.accidentin.com/article4089750/nevada_city_man_killed_in_motorcycle_crash.htm

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think this is the accident I was referring to since the one I saw was yesterday, on Wed. This accident also was very unfortunate.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I don't think this is the accident I was referring to since the one I saw was yesterday, on Wed. This accident also was very unfortunate.
Most likey not. That news article area is about 70 miles +/- north of the Hwy 20/I-80 interchange. With all the bikers coming into Reno for the Street Vibrations rally, it may have been an out-of-area rider headed this direction with info being held until kin are notified. Many rural area crashes never get media coverage.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I hope no one knows this rider and clearly it's tragic. My thoughts and prayers for his family.

That being said and I'd never post this on a thread where someone posted about someone they knew, but am I the only one who tires of these threads? They are depressing and if there's nothing to be learned from it and it's not a situation where the person is a member/poster I wish people wouldn't post. I hate when people tell me how dangerous riding motorcycles are and I know I'm not alone, so I don't know why we perpetuate this type of thing.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
uh... what part of "Motorcycle death" was fuzzy? If you don't want to read it, pass it... Some of us want to know what happens so we can avoid or help train others to avoid whatever potential disasters are out there. We participate in one of the most dangerous pastimes in the world. I have a tendency to forget that when I am on the bike and the adrenaline kicks in. Reminders of my mortality are beneficial to me and make me a better rider....

Do ride safe...

·
Registered
116 Posts
California

Calstran (Califorinia Transportation Department). I suppose this department aproves helmets, just like DOT.

Rosy
From NH

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Prayers to all effected by this, even those offended by the posting.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I don't like reading posts about motorcycle deaths either but believe strongly that reading them, although sad, is beneficial. I want to read about them! Each crash story teaches me something I didn't know - even if nothing more than the sheer numbers of crashes caused by animals in the roadway.

It is easy to avoid reading posts I don't wish to read. I don't open them.

·
Registered
19,323 Posts
Tragic -RIP

Possibly another rider without an approved helmet.Something to learn here possibly

·
Registered
631 Posts
I don't like reading posts about motorcycle deaths either but believe strongly that reading them, although sad, is beneficial. I want to read about them! Each crash story teaches me something I didn't know - even if nothing more than the sheer numbers of crashes caused by animals in the roadway.

It is easy to avoid reading posts I don't wish to read. I don't open them.
I'm going to have to agree with you here. Although it is always tragic and no fun at all to read, I do tend to learn a lesson from time to time. Kind of like those old drivers ED movies that remind you what can happen to your ass if you get lazy. :eek:4: So for those opposed to these types of threads, don't look.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I use them to my advantage. I do learn from them. Maybe I can pass along some better skill to others along the way.

The feller who ran over the Racoon, I used that one. Both my sons ride a bike, the youngest one is too far away to talk to, but the oldest one I can.

So I got an old couch cushion out and put it in the drive. I had a talk with him about running over small animals and had him run the ST over the cushion a few times.

Now you dummy I told him , just run over that animal if it hops out in the road in front of you.

I will catch up with the youngster later.

Kit

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I use them to my advantage. I do learn from them. Maybe I can pass along some better skill to others along the way.

The feller who ran over the Racoon, I used that one. Both my sons ride a bike, the youngest one is too far away to talk to, but the oldest one I can.

So I got an old couch cushion out and put it in the drive. I had a talk with him about running over small animals and had him run the ST over the cushion a few times.

Now you dummy I told him , just run over that animal if it hops out in the road in front of you.

I will catch up with the youngster later.

Kit
Great training technique Kit! :thumbup: I am going to steal it. This one could easily be the difference between someone driving through an animal (and having the muscle-memory to feel it) and trying to avoid and going down. Exactly why these threads are important.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts