GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I worked a fatal motorcycle accident today that was so needless. This guy is stuck in stop and go traffic and he let the cars get ahead a little then he'd gun it to catch up. Witnesses said he did it several times but the last time the pickup in front of him stopped short and the guy on the bike locked up his brakes and the bike went down on its side. The bike hit the back of the truck and the guys head hit the hitch receiver. He was only wearing a skull cap type helmet.

He was only going about 30mph. What a needless trajedy.

Be careful out there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Let's just hope that the guy in the pick up didn't stop short on purpose! If he did, he should be arrested and jailed.

Ive seen many drivers not like bikes behind them and do something like this.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I agree, it is senseless, but sometimes, at young ages, stupidity reigns supreme. I wonder how I got to be this age sometimes.
Also, I can't lay blame on the truck driver. Where he decides to stop is only his business. Suppose he stopped 2 car lengths short instead of 1/2 car length. Is it HIS fault I failed to stop and hit him in the rear ???

I think not.

And, suppose he stopped to yield right of way to a child running after a ball in traffic ? ( I know, I know, but just imagine).....

Is that HIS fault again ?

ANY time you (not YOU in particular) hit someone in the rear, it's 'generally' your fault. (unless you were rear-ended....maybe)

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was on the Las Vegas strip last week at night when I saw four choppers stopped at the red light. They kept revving their engines and spinning their tires, smoking up the air with rubber. An emergency vehicle, an ambulance, with lights and sirens on, came up to the intersection to make a left turn, and the light turned red. These knuckleheads revved it up and burned rubber again, heading thru without yielding. To my delight, two Las Vegas Metro officers were south of the intersection about 40 yards....hahahaha...lessons to be learned...quit screwing around and be responsible when you are on the road...whether on a m/c, a trike, in a car, a truck..a pedestrian...you are not invincible and the rest of the world ain't laughing with you.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes.....sorry don't know how that happened...

H

·
0 Posts
Us older guys still do stupid things too. I don't think being stupid is age specific.

G

·
0 Posts
CaptainChet said:
Let's just hope that the guy in the pick up didn't stop short on purpose! If he did, he should be arrested and jailed.
I'm hard pressed to fault the truck driver on this; it sounds like the motorcyclist was following too closely or driving too fast for the circumstances.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Im 59 and my stupidity lays well inside of me. Only coming out every hour or so. Still alive but look back and wonder why the heck Im still breathing. Seems the older I get the more I take stupid chances but found out my wounds dont heal near as fast..... Take care and ride today.... :beer2:

·
Registered
71 Posts
a hitch receiver has no business being on a vehicle when not in use.

if it's not against the law, it ought to be . . .

:idea:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Dave said:
I worked a fatal motorcycle accident today that was so needless. This guy is stuck in stop and go traffic and he let the cars get ahead a little then he'd gun it to catch up. Witnesses said he did it several times but the last time the pickup in front of him stopped short and the guy on the bike locked up his brakes and the bike went down on its side. The bike hit the back of the truck and the guys head hit the hitch receiver. He was only wearing a skull cap type helmet.

He was only going about 30mph. What a needless trajedy.

Be careful out there.
I know it's sad to say, but I bet if he would have been on a gold wing with ABS, this accident would have never happened.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts