GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2018 DCT Goldwing and I am looking at purchasing a new helmet so I can fit my new Sena 30K to it so I can use my car play. I don’t want a flip helmet as I prefer the solid full face helmet. It has to have a very dark shield. What do you recommend.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
While you're out trying on helmets to determine what fits. you might want to trade in the 30 series sena's for 20 series.

Lots of posts on here regarding issues with the 30 series -- and if they've finally got the 30's them sorted out, I don't recall seeing updates to that effect.

Those that have reported swapping the 30 series for 20 series reported successful conversion.

Probably some that have done so will comment.

(an old Cardo model here...)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just got the Shoei GT Air II and really like it. It just came out a couple weeks ago. Also added the Sena SRL2 and it works good.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Assuming you know the shape of your head go to Revzilla and read the reviews. It will show if the helmet trends toward a round or oval head,weight, noise etc. That should help you with your selection process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,543 Posts
Another vote for the Shoei GT Air...if your head shape is intermediate oval this is one comfortable helmet...and as the name implies it flows alot of air for venting and its a quiet helmet.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
It doesn't matter what brand, what features or what cost......the best helmet for you is one that fits your head shape best and is comfortable. Almost all modern helmets can accommodate almost all bluetooth units. Please don't order one online unless you are VERY familiar with the brand and how it fits. Go to your local retailer, try several different brands on and have a trained person fit you properly. The retailer should also be able to install the bluetooth for you. Remember: a $1000 helmet does you no good if it does not fit and it is not comfortable. A helmet is not a place to cut corners....do it right.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
It doesn't matter what brand, what features or what cost......the best helmet for you is one that fits your head shape best and is comfortable. Almost all modern helmets can accommodate almost all bluetooth units. Please don't order one online unless you are VERY familiar with the brand and how it fits. Go to your local retailer, try several different brands on and have a trained person fit you properly. The retailer should also be able to install the bluetooth for you. Remember: a $1000 helmet does you no good if it does not fit and it is not comfortable. A helmet is not a place to cut corners....do it right.
Very well said. Something else if you get a helmet that has a built in Bluetooth system it will be quieter.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,543 Posts
Yea thats true...but a properly sized Shoei or Arai helmet is a few levels up over a properly sized HJC...you do get what you pay for with helmets.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm just about to switch back to a 5 year old Shoei GT-Air that was the most comfortable helmet I've ever had.

I did the stupid thing of buying a new helmet (Shoei Neotec, hence my confidence that it would fit like my GT-Air... it really really doesn't!!) and not trying it on inside long enough to know whether it worked for me. After about 2 hours of riding I get excruciating headaches, that come on in the space of about 5 minutes. I've tried all sorts... different pads inside, and I even in desperation took a knife and cut some foam out myself. Nothing works.

Can't afford another brand new helmet, so I'll take the risk with a 5 year old one for another year or two.

Let this be a lesson to you kids, never take a new helmet out on the road until you've spent at least half a day sat inside wearing it constantly!

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,543 Posts
I'm just about to switch back to a 5 year old Shoei GT-Air that was the most comfortable helmet I've ever had.

I did the stupid thing of buying a new helmet (Shoei Neotec, hence my confidence that it would fit like my GT-Air... it really really doesn't!!) and not trying it on inside long enough to know whether it worked for me. After about 2 hours of riding I get excruciating headaches, that come on in the space of about 5 minutes. I've tried all sorts... different pads inside, and I even in desperation took a knife and cut some foam out myself. Nothing works.

Can't afford another brand new helmet, so I'll take the risk with a 5 year old one for another year or two.

Let this be a lesson to you kids, never take a new helmet out on the road until you've spent at least half a day sat inside wearing it constantly!
I made that mistake with a new helmet...I bought this modular Bell some years ago. I rode with it for a few miles local, but not many...then I went on a 900-mile trip one way....that helmet was so noisy and uncomfortable and put a red spot on my forehead that took four hours to go way after I stopped for the day. I was never so miserable on a road trip as I was that time with that helmet.
My Shoei GT Air is the most comfortable helmet I've had...I've wore it on 17 hour rides in total comfort.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I like the retailer idea and giving them the profit in exchange for their fit advice. Maybe i’m Just a pessimist but I don’t know how to identify a salesperson that is trying to seek me what they have in stock vs. what is best for my head. which I would gladly order from them. Maybe I need to study more on this head shape thing.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,543 Posts
I like the retailer idea and giving them the profit in exchange for their fit advice. Maybe i’m Just a pessimist but I don’t know how to identify a salesperson that is trying to seek me what they have in stock vs. what is best for my head. which I would gladly order from them. Maybe I need to study more on this head shape thing.
Heres a good site to read about how to properly size up a helmet along with helmet reviews.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/

·
Registered
79 Posts
I like the flip helmets, thought they are noisier. It is nice to be able to open the face, either by the clear shield or the whole chin bar. The retractable dark sun shade is also handy. But whatever your preference, make sure that it is comfortable.
Sizes among manufacturers vary greatly, but within a brand hold pretty true, a small is a small and so on. Pay attention to the weight also. I have a Scorpion (XXL), and a HJC (small). Head fits well in both, but the HJC is about 5 ozs. lighter. About 1/3 lb. is a bunch of weight.
As far as the Sena products, The design of the base, clamp on unit. required that I make an incision in the LH cheek pad, along the outer welting. So that the clamp jaw could fit flush, without biting on a bunch of padding and apoulstery.

I have the 20s evo dual set. If you want to pair to you partner, the bike, and your phone. There is a bunch of stuff to remember. I am sure the 30 is similar.

The HJC has a cloth flap/pocket that covers the area where the speaker sets. This is good, it keeps your ear from rolling down as you slip the helmet on. You want the speakers against(touching) your ear. but not pressing on it. The kit comes with foam shims to get that fit right. I found it require me to "filet" one shim and attach velcro to the cut sides to get them just right.
Sena is good with their support, they will answer questions, and follow up to check if problems are solved.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Yea thats true...but a properly sized Shoei or Arai helmet is a few levels up over a properly sized HJC...you do get what you pay for with helmets.

The quality of construction, materials used and the fit of a Shoei and/or an Arai is worth the additional cost to me and others, but not everybody. There are some very good Snell-rated helmets in the $200 range. I will always encourage customers to try on any helmet they wish, even if they don't intend to buy it. I just want to demonstrate why a $800 helmet costs $800. They are all free to try on in the store.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Amen to this.......Plus DOT is the lowest rating. Snell is excellent and ECE is a good Euro rating. Fit is paramount, Safety rating is very important. Features are third. Full face is best.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
1.) Snell Certification, 2.) Full Face, 3.) Fit and 4.) Comfort in that order. I have had Full Face: ARAI, SHOEI and HJC Helmets. I presently own a SHOEI and an HJC. My ARAI (see attached) got destroyed, probably saving my life. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of these three manufacturers. Other manufacturers may be their equal (or better) but I do not have personal experience with them.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts