GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a post on jackets that mentioned jackets with CO2 cartridges and airbags built in. One company that offers them is impactjackets.com

What might members opinions/experiences be with this general type of safety gear? I'm not having luck yet finding the topic in searches on this board. Seems like there is a great potential for increased suvivability with such a product, short of buying an Airbag bike. Perhaps it can even compliment an Airbag bike, but that might create conflicts.

Had an knee surgury unrelated to motorcyling today and have had my fill of hospitals for awhile, but happy to go home intact.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My wife's motorcycle jacket has a built in air bag ... :lol:

... sorry ... I don't want to make lite of your search ... interesting possibility ...

·
Registered
411 Posts
I Loke It

Personally, I like the idea. I'm sure there are circumstances where the bike mounted airbag would have an advantage, but it seems to me that in most cases, a rider and passenger are separated from the bike at some point, thus making the airbag on the bike useless.

I sheepishly admit that I've been involved in a couple of (minor) crashes over the last 30 or so years, and I always ended up someplace other than where my bike was. An airbag on the bike wouldn't have helped.

I'm all for as much safety equipment as is practical, but the airbag on the bike seems like a mis-application of the available technology. We ride with armored jackets and pants, and have lots of other options for protection we have acquired over the years, but I would trade it all in for a versatile, airbag jacket.

Cloud9

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the link to the earlier thread on the air-bag jackets. Brian Gorrell was quite thorough in his analysis. I was considering a yellow Joe Rocket jacket as it has more lower back protection that my current First Gear jacket, but will be contacting one of the air-bag jacket companies first. Of course, I also want to know if I can use my Gerbings electric liner.

The GL1800 Airbag bike wasn't out yet when I bought the '06 ABS, and market acceptance seems to have improved since then. Won't be trading for one anytime soon, but the air-bag jacket will provide an additional amount of safety.

Even so, spending more and more on safety related accessories can't take the place of rider education and hitting the books once in a while.
Do like my headlight and brakelight modulators, among other things, though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just emailed their contact information for prices and shipping costs.

I am looking at the B, B2 or D vest for over my regular jackets.

A great tip, Thanx!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts