GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Experts,

I want your help in selecting a good motorcycle pant for touring.
I'm in my Mid 20's and Goldwing is my first touring bike. I have no experience with over pants and I don't want to wear leather chaps.
I'm used to Kevlar-reinforced jeans which I primarily use them for city riding.
Please enlighten me on textile pants and their abrasion resistance on highway speeds.
I need to be assured thinking that I have the best protection when riding on highways and I need something that's less flashy and helps me blend in at my destination if I want to walk around.
I like the slim/taper cut and fewer pockets of Dainese textile pants however I did not find any reviews on protection.
Any suggestions/ opinions to this novice rider will be hugely appreciated.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hello Experts,

I want your help in selecting a good motorcycle pant for touring.
I'm in my Mid 20's and Goldwing is my first touring bike. I have no experience with over pants and I don't want to wear leather chaps.
I'm used to Kevlar-reinforced jeans which I primarily use them for city riding.
Please enlighten me on textile pants and their abrasion resistance on highway speeds.
I need to be assured thinking that I have the best protection when riding on highways and I need something that's less flashy and helps me blend in at my destination if I want to walk around.
I like the slim/taper cut and fewer pockets of Dainese textile pants however I did not find any reviews on protection.
Any suggestions/ opinions to this novice rider will be hugely appreciated.
This should be fun !!! You're going to get a million suggestions. A good thing in this case. Here's mine. Aerostich. Not flashy. They work. Rain-proof. Good protection especially if you want to wear all the inner padding that comes with their stuff. Check out their website. Good luck !!!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Go to the Motoport website and read the user testimonials.

Reactions: networkguy3

·
SuperModerator
3,415 Posts
As Hoopdc says, you'll get lots of suggestions. Pay no attention to any of them but mine! :) :) I use and recommend MotoPort stretch Kevlar, This is the textile stretch Kevlar, not the mesh Kevlar. The MotoPort may be the most abrasion-resistant, protective gear available. It's expensive, but no more so than the other top brands.

Glen

·
Registered
484 Posts
I wear a Dainese Gran Turismo pant and jacket. I also have a Dainese leather jacket and pant but I wear the Gore-Tex most of the time. The only time I have been down on bikes have been in full race leathers but I see no reason why this suit would not perform as needed at regular highway speed. Not sure what you are looking to spend and while this suit is on the higher priced side, it is a well made suit. No matter what suit you go with, you are going to “stand out” if you walk around. I wear this suit all summer long and routinely ride in temps over 100 degrees but I don’t have issues with overheating. There are many choices so you may just have to select what you like and go with it as all choices will have positives and negatives. One of the negatives for mine is the fold down collar. If I fold it down, the velcro catches underneath my helmet so I leave the collar up.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Fill up the Google Juice in your computer and do a little research for yourself.

There are three really good online motorcycle accessories retailers that have excellent YouTube channels where gear, including riding pants, are reviewed and recommended.

There is Revzilla (U.S.A.), Fortnine (Canada) and Motolegends (U.K.) You'll find these retailers offer sound advice on recommended riding gear at various price points. Their Buyer's Guides provide comprehensive evaluations so you can decide what's best for you.

Tim

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've been contemplating getting some actual riding pants lately too. I've been riding in jeans, NORMAL jeans, for 34 years now. I'm gradually slowly going ATGATT and the pants are the next item on the list....

·
Registered
148 Posts
I will toss my 2 cents out there. I have a couple pairs of the Revit Philly 2 jeans for most of the year. When the weather dips below 40 degrees I pull on a pair of Joe Rocket overpants over the Philly 2's.The overpants zip ankle to hip so they are easy on and off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Aerostich Roadcrafter. I have 2, lined and unlined. Mine are 1 piece. My wife's is 2 piece. Son-in-law has one also. All 4 of ours are Banana Yellow. Very visible on the highway. Outstanding products. You can find used ones on E Bay. Master Suit. Never leave home without it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You might want to consider this more broadly. "ATGATT" (All The Gear, All The Time)

I've had very good luck with Olympia gear. Airglide style overpants, with full side leg zippers (quick on and off over regular jeans), with a good pair of elastic suspenders to help weight distribution. Knee, hip and kidney armor. Design of overpants allows air flow for cooling. Works well for me from early Spring through late Fall.

Dakar jacket with Neon yellow inserts (for visibility). Mine included a thermal liner and a rain jacket. Back, shoulder, elbow and forearm armor.

Shoei Neotec helmet, with Hi-Viz neon yellow decals.

CruiserWorks Tour boots (not fancy, but comfortable, durable, and WATERPROOF).

Joe Rocket mesh, gel palm gloves. Flex armor on back of hand and over knuckles.

Was wearing this kit at the time of an unplanned get off back in 2017. Light rain, diesel spill in interstate construction zone. Over 900 feet of asphalt surfing from where we went down to were I stopped sliding. Some bruising, and one dime-sized friction burn on the point of my left elbow. Got up, picked up the bike and moved it to shoulder while waiting for LEO to arrive.

The point is, if you're going to be touring, dress for success!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Olympia gear. Airglide style overpants
I now wear an Aerostich Roadcrafter.
Before, I wore Olympia Airglide pants. Zipper from ankle to waistband, easy to take on or off quickly. Confortable. I upgraded the knees with D3O armor. It also have pockets for hip pads. On a Wing, they were good for me down to 30*F (the Wing keeps wind off your legs).
Also, the leg zips end 6 inches from the bottom of each leg, so they can easily be hemmed without having to mess with the zipper.

Aerostich pants are awesome. They don't flow air quite as well as the Airglide (although the amount of air through the Goretex will surprise you), but your legs aren't as temperature sensitive as your torso. Plus they're waterproof, so no need for liners.
Lots of Aerostich pants on EBay and Craigslist. They also zip all the way to the waist to make them easier on and off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wear these if it's going to be hot:

And these for most weather, and on most trips:

The mesh pants aren't too bad in the hot weather. The 'waterproof liner' is stupid, I just carry a pair of frogg togg rainpants in the saddlebag. The Klim pants are basically perfect in every way, and venting in them is decent considering they're waterproof. Lot of money for pants though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wear Aerostich Darien jacket and AD1 pants for touring, waterproof, lots of venting and good protection. For day/weekend jaunts with little or no rain forecasted Olympia Airglide jacket and pants. On hot summer days I pull the Airglides over a pair of shorts, they flow a lot of air and can be taken off easily at your place of arrival leaving me comfortable to roam around with shorts on. (Danner gtx Strikers and shorts have a fashionable look!)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey, I have a pair of mesh pants on this site for sale, just saying :)
I just bought a pair of the Sedici Marco Pants and aside from them being a tad long, they really are an all weather pant with a couple linings for rain and cold and mesh for hot weather

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm with a couple others in recommending Klim Latitude jacket and pants. If you're going to ride, ATGATT is the way to go. Aerostich and/or Motoport are also excellent choices. These are all in the sort of same price range (prepare to spend some coin). I prefer a separate jacket/pants combination over the one-piece suit. The Latitude pants are not really overpants, though I suppose you could use them that way but you would need to decide on fit. One thing to point out... like my riding buddy, you could end up buying multiple outfits over time. He has both the Roadcrafter suit and the Darien jacket and pants combo. I have multiple jackets and different riding jeans (Kevlar lined) and I suspect I'll buy another set of something before too much longer. Good luck.

·
Registered
16,724 Posts
Kevlar reinforced jeans.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts