GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looking for advice on motorcycle prescription sunglasses. Would like bifocal wrap around glasses. Local stores tell me that they cannot make these as the wraparound feature will distort the prescription. But I do want some wind protection from the side.

Any good vendors out there?

thanks

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I love my "cocoons"
..wrap around sides and go over my progressive perscription glasses..

Dennis

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Well I've done what WingWing says...get those granny style sunglasses that go over the prescription glasses. They sell for about 20 bucks at walmart...its in the sunglasses area back by the jewelry department.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
riderseye.com/prescription.asp

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I never wear polarized sun-glasses on a motorcycle. I want to see glare from water or oil on the pavement. YMMV

·
Registered
212 Posts
I bought a set of saftey glasses at Wal-Mart several years ago that worked great... they wrapped around the eyes and protected them from the wind. But now I need a bifocal so I can read the GPS and have been unlucky with the glasses I've purchased... they just don't protect the eyes from the wind. So, my next step is to put the Optix 20x20 stick-ons onto the Wal-Mart glasses... sure hope it works. By the way, my local Wal-Mart doesn't carry the saftey glasses anymore but I was able to find them online at http://www.coopersafety.com/product/uvex-spitfire-safety-glasses-1227.aspx.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I have used Addidas Sport Glasses with a bifocal insert (snaps in right behind the regular, non-prescription lenses) for years, and really like them. I looked for them online to give you a link, but I didn't find my exact model. It appears now that you can get a similar product with prescription lenses, even bifocals, etc. as the main lens. What I like about mine is that with a prescription insert that snaps in behind the regular lenses, I can switch out the regular lenses to meet the light conditions: Clear for nightime, yellow for overcast and grey for bright sunlight.

I got them from my optometrist. I don't know if they are made specifically for motorcycling, but the lenses are shatterproof, etc. the earpieces are adjustable to vary the tilt of the glasses, but still very rigid, so it's easy to get them on after putting on my full-face helmet. The suggestion of wearing regular prescription glasses with a sunglass in fromt of it means you've got two sets of earpieces. That does not sound very comfortable in a helmet. I really think you should check with your optometrist and see if he has an Addidas sport glass catalogue.

I'm going to look some more, and if I find my glasses, I'll post the link for you.
OK, I found a link to info about Addidas sunglsses that includes the "optical insert." Check it out:

http://www.heavyglare.com/adidas-sunglasses/

·
Registered
242 Posts
stop by Bass Pro Shops

Bass Pro Shops has some sun glassers called "Fish Eyes".
They are similar to the safety glasses which I also have but I find them to be much better. They cost $29.00 which is a bit more than the safety glasses but well worth it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I get mine at the welding supply house. They are clear safety wrap around glasses with reading lenses (magnifiers) in the bottom so I can read the GPS while riding. I think they cost about 5.00 a pair which you can't beat.
Any welding supply should have them.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I looking for advice on motorcycle prescription sunglasses. Would like bifocal wrap around glasses. Local stores tell me that they cannot make these as the wraparound feature will distort the prescription. But I do want some wind protection from the side.

Any good vendors out there?

thanks
Lasik, then whatever you want. Did monovision 4 years ago and have never been sorry. Can now read and see distance without glasses.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Glasses

Wily x provides glasses for the military I've heard. I use Oakley for 2 years now and no complaints and I don't like to wear glasses. But the older I become the more accessories my body requires ! Glasses, sunscreen, ibuprofen etc! I sent you a pm.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I went to a CVS drugstore and bought a pair of wraparound sunglasses that fit over my prescription glasses and I love them.....fit tight over the glasses so I get no wind or debris in my eyes.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts