GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A comparison of the three spray-on bike polishes pictured, and how well they perform against dried bug guts, specifically:

Pledge Multi-Surface Cleaner & Disinfectant
- Sprays on like: A semi-fine cone of liquid mist
- Overspray is like: Easy to control
- Sticks like: Water, very runny right away
- Wipes like: Easily, leaves little streaking
- Dissolved dried bugs like: Very well, little scrubbing required
- Leaves a finish like: A clean surface, with a light wax or polish feel

Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner & Polish
- Sprays on like: A strong, controlled cone of liquid
- Overspray is like: Hard to control
- Sticks like: A very thick waxy liquid, slow drips
- Wipes like: Bacon grease, coats bug guts
- Dissolved dried bugs like: Not at all, coats them over
- Leaves a finish like: A heavily waxed surface, but not very clean

Harley Davidson Spray Cleaner & Polish
- Sprays on like: A moderate, controlled cone of foam
- Overspray is like: Easy to control
- Sticks like: An expanding foam, no initial drips
- Wipes like: A liquid, with little streaking
- Dissolved dried bugs like: Hardly at all
- Leaves a finish like: A polished surface, but not very clean

Registered
Nice comparison. 馃憤

Registered
2004 GL1800
Soap awater wash, dry with micro fiber towels, and a quick shine with lemon pledge.
Been doing it this way since my first 1500 many years ago.
I tried the waxes, pastes, and polishes and the end result wasn't worth the time and effort to me.
YMMV.

Registered
Hydrogen peroxide mix with water for bug guts and Honda polish never failed me. Bees don't seem to like it so much.

I'm down to my last few sprays of Plexus and no chance I'd buy that again. Good product but someone thinks it's gold fairy dust and priced it accordingly.
I agree. Plexus has priced themselves above market value. There are better products out there for less.

Registered
Personally, I have a big problem with paying tons of money on a cleaner/polish only to have 99% absorbed with a rag-towel-microfiber towel. Most of the product being water. I will wash the bike and dry using a good terry towel and then detail it with MEGUIAR's QUIK DETAILER.
I agree with the comment about Plexus makers thinking they have bottled GOLD.... (insert roll-eyes emoticon here).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have used Pledge for a long time, and have never seen a bee...

Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
Not my experience with The Original Bike Spirits...it cleans off bugs nicely and doesnt coat the bugs...and wipes clean with no smearing giving a clean polished look...cleans and waxes both metal chrome and plastic chrome and plastic painted parts. I think its a excellent product and have been using it for the last 15 years on my bikes.

Registered
Someone posted not long ago that Original Bike Spirits and Honda Cleaner & Polish are the same product. Confirm?
In any case, a wet cloth left on any of the plastic for a few minutes, followed by Honda Cleaner has always worked for me. Dang, that stuff is good.

Registered
Have used Pledge for a long time, and have never seen a bee...
Bee might be inaccurate.

Yellow jacket wasps seem to be drawn to pledge like a Crispy Creme doughnut. If you don't get many of them in your area, there's nothing to worry about.

In Ontario Canada at the Tim Horton coffee shop parking lots, you can tell who's using Pledge

Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
Someone posted not long ago that Original Bike Spirits and Honda Cleaner & Polish are the same product. Confirm?
In any case, a wet cloth left on any of the plastic for a few minutes, followed by Honda Cleaner has always worked for me. Dang, that stuff is good.
No they are not the same product..years ago the Honda spray/wax cleaner was the same as what is now The Original Bike Spirits...but Honda changed the formula and it is what it is today.

Ive used the Honda spray wax/ cleaner and I like The Original Bike Spirits much better than the Honda spray.

Registered
Car(vehicle) wash & wax, works quite well for me..............I also when ever it rains, sit in my garage, and give my bike a real good wax job, which also includes waxing the windshield... BUG's and rain water just flows off, w/o a problem....

Ronnie

:rolleyes:PS: thanks for the comparison, of different cleaners, I'm going to try one, just to see the difference, between my wax'd shield, and an expensive formula

Registered
No they are not the same product..years ago the Honda spray/wax cleaner was the same as what is now The Original Bike Spirits...but Honda changed the formula and it is what it is today.

Ive used the Honda spray wax/ cleaner and I like The Original Bike Spirits much better than the Honda spray.
Roadie, Maybe it's the same thing and just had a name-change to Original Bike Spirits so it could be sold in Harley Dealers without the Honda name on it. It was an inside secret in the Harley community that most of them used Honda Spray Polish to clean the Harley bikes. Of course, the Harley guys would go to the Honda store after work to buy it, when they were still in their work clothes and came their in their CAR/TRUCK. They didn't want anybody to see them in a Honda dealer. LOL!!~

It was really funny, they'd have a shelf full of Meguiar's products for their cars and trucks. But when it came to their precious Harley bikes, they used HONDA Polish. ROFL!!!!!!!!!!

Registered

Got it. I'll give OBS a shot.
Oh boy, another product for the cleaning shelf!

Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
Roadie, Maybe it's the same thing and just had a name-change to Original Bike Spirits so it could be sold in Harley Dealers without the Honda name on it. It was an inside secret in the Harley community that most of them used Honda Spray Polish to clean the Harley bikes. Of course, the Harley guys would go to the Honda store after work to buy it, when they were still in their work clothes and came their in their CAR/TRUCK. They didn't want anybody to see them in a Honda dealer. LOL!!~

It was really funny, they'd have a shelf full of Meguiar's products for their cars and trucks. But when it came to their precious Harley bikes, they used HONDA Polish. ROFL!!!!!!!!!!
No its definitely not the same product..Ive used both and the Honda cleaner/wax spray is not as good as The Original Bike Spirits.
I read years ago the Honda changed the Honda cleaner/wax spray formula because of EPA issues.

The Original Bike Spirits is all I use on my wings after washing it...it cleans well, leaves no smears and leaves wax on the finish..you can see the rain bead up on the plastic.

Registered
2019 Gold Wing Tour - Hawkseye Blue
Here's an excerpt from windshield maker California Scientific on their recommendation to clean their shields - "We extensively tested many products, including Windex, 409, and bleach. Pretty much anything that doesn't have the word "acid" in it's name is fine to use. What we found works best is a 50/50 mix of WalMart's SuperTech Bug Remover and SuperTech Summer Formula, both found in the automotive section. Goo Gone can be helpful for spots that won't come out. Do not allow alcohol to sit near the edge of the shield for more than a few seconds or it can start crazing the edge."

Premium Member
2003 GL1800
I use Pledge. I don't have to be a chemist, no special mixing, I don't have to find a river, lake, bathroom at a rest stop, or car wash, and for about $6 I can find it at just about any mom and pop stop anywhere. When an angry hoard of mayflies turns Black Beauty to gray, I can stop anywhere along the road, spray it on, let it soak for a minute, wipe it off, and move on down the road. :D

Registered
Re. the old formula of Honda cleaner, I actually found a can at the back of the shelf. The local Honda dealer used to give the large size away with a coupon during Americade week. (Anybody remember that?)
Might be time for a highly independent Battle Of The Spray Cleaners once I get hold of OBS.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts