GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.mcrdb.com/

only 14 riders with GL1800Riders in the club/forum affiliation field! Have 107 WOTI (Wings on the Internet) group.

Even have a member from Finland. Have had a few emails back and forth with him about bikes/biking in Finland.

Hope fellow GL1800Riders sign up. Suggestions welcome.

If u add a link to a photo, it has to be to a PHOTO (ends in .jpg). NOT a web page or album (it's used to display a thumbnail in your rider detail page also. There's another link location for web pages & photo album links.

Enjoy....

me (us): http://www.mcrdb.com/detail.php?rider_info_id=1

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Great job - thanks to Mike!

Biggest objection that I've heard is that people don't want their info on the Internet. Hate to break their bubble: The info is already there, and for a few extra dollars, I can find out everything about you!

My job is now easier when I travel with a laptop.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John Garner said:
Great job - thanks to Mike!

Biggest objection that I've heard is that people don't want their info on the Internet. Hate to break their bubble: The info is already there, and for a few extra dollars, I can find out everything about you!

My job is now easier when I travel with a laptop.
I intentionally made it so there is NO personal info there. No addr, phone, etc.. Don't need to enter a last name, Get a free email addr from Yahoo/Gmail/Hotmail just for this. A location/zip is nice & what u ride.

Just for fun.

WOTI wants to use it as their member DB. Add address,etc...
Working on those security issues before I go there. The WOTI admin now can get an excel file of their members in mcrdb.com (none of their personal info in there as of now). Their members keep their info up2date. as with all clubs, this is an issue.

I also admin the dickweedmc.com site (and a member). We have a private DB in there for members only keeping their own member/contact info up2date. Password protected. Even with Dickweedmc, there's only an address & phone. Mostly available elsewhere anyway.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Just added my other club affliations (besides WOTI).

I didn't realize when I first entered my data I could add more than one club...

One suggestion, The password field needs to be encrypted.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Mike, Thanks for the great job. If more people use this it would be great for finding people to ride with. I realize me Zip Code and email can be gotten from here but from what I have seen people that know how can find a lot more without me giving anything to them.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pshivers said:
Just added my other club affliations (besides WOTI).

I didn't realize when I first entered my data I could add more than one club...

One suggestion, The password field needs to be encrypted.
it is encoded in the DB.

Any specific reason you think it should be encrypted in your rider detail page when u log in to view/change you info? (I thought about this and didn't think of any really good reason). Easier for u to see what u typed in the password field. Would have to ask u to re-type twice to better ensure you entered what u thought u entered. Whattya think?

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Mike, I just updated my profile to include this board. I didn't even think to include it when I created my profile.

Thanks for the heads up.

Bartman

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
TxGoldWing said:
pshivers said:
it is encoded in the DB.

Any specific reason you think it should be encrypted in your rider detail page when u log in to view/change you info? (I thought about this and didn't think of any really good reason). Easier for u to see what u typed in the password field. Would have to ask u to re-type twice to better ensure you entered what u thought u entered. Whattya think?
Transmitting the password will be in plain text over the internet, not a good thing for sensitive items like passwords. But then I am a little anal this way, I write code for confidential patient information. We have to encrypt all the data.

What really makes me nervous is the practice of many websites that have you setup an account/password, and then they email that information, in plain text, back to you. Yes convenient for them and the user, also convenient for data phishing.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pshivers said:
TxGoldWing said:
pshivers said:
it is encoded in the DB.

Transmitting the password will be in plain text over the internet, not a good thing for sensitive items like passwords. But then I am a little anal this way, I write code for confidential patient information. We have to encrypt all the data.

What really makes me nervous is the practice of many websites that have you setup an account/password, and then they email that information, in plain text, back to you. Yes convenient for them and the user, also convenient for data phishing.
ahhh....gotcha now. Yes, you're correct. I would have to set up a SSL certificate (as I have on my e-commerce site, www thepartyfowl.com) so passwords are passed via https. If more sensitive info ever gets added (for some club requests) I would have to go that route. May look into it more, especially if I ever go with setting up accounts with ID's and password. I figured not setting up accounts was less intimidating (ID's). We all have too many of those already!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts