GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I took delivery of a red 2012 Level 3 (ABS) last Friday...at Schroaders in Hendersonville NC.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were some nice motorcycle roads nearby to try out the new ride? Well, there are. In fact the riding is fantastic. If you are flying in to pick up a bike at Schroaders, here are some thoughts.

We flew in to the Asheville airport, which is located between Asheville and Hendersonville. We stayed at the Comfort Inn next door...which was decent and had a good breakfast. Alternatives are the Days Inn (short walk) or the Red Roof Inn (short walk)...all on Mitchelle Drive. Taxi ride from the airport is reasonable. Around $30 if I remember right.

Then we took a few days and explore the roads just to the West. After picking up the bike we took Hwy 64 (starting a few blocks from Schroaders) west to Hwy 215, then went North on 215 to the Blue Ridge Parkway. 215 is a fantastic ride climbing to over 5000 feet, complete with twisties. Hardly any traffic, at least on that Friday. Then West on the Blue Ridge Parkway to Cherokee. This stretch of the BRP is spectacular and maybe the best part of the road.

From Cherokee we rode to Robbinsville, where we stayed at the Two Wheel Inn. Not a fancy place but good enough. They specialize in motorcyclists, so the place is just alive with bikes coming and going. And oh yes, each room has a little garage to house the new Wing. Nice!

The next day we rode north on the 129 to Deals Gap, did the Dragon, then the Foothills Parkway; then turned around and did them both in the verse direction. Bikes everywhere. Nice riding!

Lunch at Deals Gap was surprisingly good, and surprisingly at a reasonable cost. I fully expected to pay for location, but not so.

Then back to Robbinsville, and did the Cherohala in both directions. Another nice ride.

After another night at the Two Wheel Inn, we went back towards Hendersonville on Hwy 64. Again a great ride with some sweepers and stretches with twisties.

Rather than go straight to Hendersonville, we looped south into Cesar's Head park in the North part of South Carolina, then into Hendersonville on Hwy 25.

All of this route is highly recommended. 600 miles, and back at Schroader's, where we got an early first oil change. Maybe too early, but wanted to get rid of any filings etc in the oil before the long trip to Calgary Alberta. Sine we are not taking a direct route I expect to have at least 4000 miles on it by the end of the trip.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
It doesnt get much better than that! New Goldwing, wife along, adventure on some new curvy roads, lunch at Deals Gap, no working...the best! We dont really claim NC as part of the Southeast though! haha

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part II: How to get to DC

Ok we have some family and friends in the Washington DC area. We've always wanted to visit but it is just too far from home for a road trip, and if we are going to fly somewhere, somehow Phoenix, or California, or an all-inclusive always won out. Buying the new bike in NC really only made sense to enable an east coast trip. So...what's the best route to DC? Those interstates just look boring.

If only there was a motorcycle road without much traffic running from Hendersonville/Asheville to the DC area. Hahaha, right. And while we are dreaming, wouldn't it be great if the road was routed right down the spines of a couple of mountain ranges? Sure, then you could alternately look at unbelievable vistas off both sides of the road.

Ahem.

Seems that someone built a road just like that. What? Yep. The Blue Ridge Parkway, which is extended by the Skyline Drive. Unbelievable!

The only downside is that the BRP is 45mph and the Skyline is 35mph. Not a problem for us tourists. In fact ideal. But that's why the traffic is light. Skyline could easily support 45, but Both have constant sweepers that wouldn't safely support higher than 45 anyway. But figure on an average 40 mph.

There is one section of the BRP in Virginia that is closed for maintenance. So we got off there and set the GPS for Roanoke as a place to stay. The GPS was set to 'shortest distance', and we ended up being routed onto absolutely fantastic rural roads, almost as fun as the BRP!

The next morning we jumped back on the BRP/Skyline and continued to the end at Front Royal, maybe 50 miles from our destination.

Ok, here's a bone head move. I had checked a map and could see that Hwy 340 took us generally in the right direction. So great. Let's take 340 part of the way, and then turn the GPS loose for the last 30 miles as the road system gets silly going into the denser part of DC. Only it was still set to 'shortest route'. Pretty soon we were being routed onto roads with names like 'Main Street'. No problem. Let it go. We're seeing old towns and interesting country residential areas and I can see we are continuously getting closer.

Down to around 20 miles. It is now dusk. "In 500 feet turn right on White's Ferry Road". Ok, this is kinda dark, and narrow. "Continue 1.2 miles and board ferry.". And then it popped up a little picture of a boat! WTH? No way that's going to end well. Tried to convince the GPS to give me another route, but it was pretty insistent. Wrong side of the Potomac. Well, let's check it out.

Sure enough. A little ferry...you guessed it..White's Ferry...was shuttling back and forth across the Potomac. $3 one way for a motorcycle. 15 miles from my sister's place. She had never heard of it. My brother-in-law had heard of it but never tried it. Friends in Virginia, hadn't either but tried it successfully when they came over to visit. Nice find!

Just spent the last 2 days installing all the accessories we had shipped to my sister's place. Brian, if you are reading this...success...only the Wingrider Trunk Support System to go. I know that's your favorite so I may save it so you can share in the entertainment. Or we may be holed up here as the hurricane goes over so I may get that done too. For sure it's a good thing I don't make a living installing accessories. I'd probably be making $5 an hour.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesnt get much better than that! New Goldwing, wife along, adventure on some new curvy roads, lunch at Deals Gap, no working...the best! We dont really claim NC as part of the Southeast though! haha
Haha. I wondered. I stand corrected. But let's just say from Calgary, it's pretty far South East. :lol:

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have never riden the blue ridge parkway at 45. 60 was a good comfortable pace on my previous rides. plese don't tell me i'll have to back off with my new wing...i'm going next friday :)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have never riden the blue ridge parkway at 45. 60 was a good comfortable pace on my previous rides. plese don't tell me i'll have to back off with my new wing...i'm going next friday :)
Well... you don't HAVE to back off, but unless your wallet is very fat you probably will want to.

I'm told that the speeding tickets issued by park rangers on the BRP are $500.00 minimum. Can be higher if extenuating circumstances.

Going to be there myself for four days over Labor Day weekend. The BRP is for sightseeing and relaxing. So, ease up and enjoy. (Go to the track if you want to wring it out.)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, well I won't speak for anyone else. But I would certainly not be in a relaxed state if I set my cruise control on 60 and drove the BRP. I might survive, but it would not be a comfortable ride and I probably would not be 100% in my own lane. Sure I could accelerate and decelerate more. But at 45 for the most part I could use cruise control without too much stress.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Congrats on the new ride - and welcome to the neighborhood. Plenty of good riding for you between here and home - and it sounds like your finding your way pretty well. Stay safe and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've driven through the Colorado rockies, and PAC 1, as well as the roads you are talking about in the Carolinas, Tennesse, etc.

My favorite roads were the ones out east. It just seemed like they were all designed for motorcycles in mind. I could ride all day and never get tired of riding those roads.

PAC 1 was awesome in its on way as it has breath-taking scenery. Colorado as well was really nice, but my favorate roads are out east.

Have fun...:yes1:

·
Registered
293 Posts
SouthEast

You made it through the Mecca of motorcycle riding roads The roads you took are all rated in the Top 10 motorcycle riding roads in America. Congratulations and welcome to the SouthEast. Y’all Come on Back Now!!

DOC:thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts