GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This information was extracted from an Army Safety Center Website. I only pulled a small amount of information below, go to the link to see the entire report ... you better have a calculator ready if you plan to challenge the information. Do with it what you will ... I'm to breakfast now on the Wing.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30 ... 810606.pdf

The findings in this report are divided in two categories: 1) findings based on trends in the past ten years in motorcycle rider fatalities from FARS, motorcycle sales data from MIC, population data from the U.S. Census Bureau, and VMT and registration data from FHWA, and 2) findings based on common crash characteristics in motorcycle rider fatalities from FARS 2004 data. If the patterns seen in the analyses continue as seen from the combination of data sources, there is the likelihood that the increase in motorcycle rider fatalities will continue in the future years also.

The percentage of properly licensed motorcycle operator fatalities in fatal crashes has increased during the past ten years, yet about one-fourth of fatally injured motorcycle operators, are still improperly licensed.

Although the number of motorcycle rider fatalities in single and multivehicle crashes has increased over the ten-year period, the proportion of motorcycle rider fatalities in single-vehicle to multivehicle crashes does not indicate any significant variation.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sobering, at best. Also seems to lessen the effects of improving my odds by not drinking when riding, wearing a helment, and riding more on weekdays, etc.
One statistic not recorded was type of motorcycle; ie: Cruiser, sportbike, touring, etc. though such classification might be difficult for non-riders.
I'm obviously very curious where the increases in fatalities in my age ground (40-49) are coming from.
Like I said, sobering...

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Looks like a very comprehensive - if boringly long study. I think the increase in the 40-49 age group is due to a couple of things. One, more disposable income means more toys. Two, return to the fold riders who maybe rode as kids, put bikes away and now that the kids are gone are back on two wheels. Three, just sheer numbers of people in that age group riding that didn't a few years back. Lots of things to skew the report, but very interesting.

I was suprised at the number of fatalities that involve alcohol levels over .08 bac. Riding is inherently dangerous, but mostly managable with training, practice and care. Although, anyone can become a statistic as evidenced by Larry Grodsky dying after hitting a deer in Texas. He was the safety guru for Rider Magazine and ran a rider training program for years. When we don't know what else to say, we fall back to "when its your time, its your time". Not comforting, but fatalistic and real. Yall ride safe.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts