GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you wear motorcycle specific riding boots & are they something comparable to SIDI Onroads or more of a MX type boot such as the SIDI Crossfires? I realize the MX boots are going to offer more protection for offroad, trail & adventure riding but for the type of riding done on a Goldwing (mostly paved roads) is there much of a difference? How does the comfort level both on & off the bike compare between the two? I expect the MX boots will be stiffer to break in but hopefully they too will get to a point that they are comfortable for all day rides & some off the bike activity such as running errands or running into a store, restaurant, etc. Looking at upgrading to something more protective than typical work boots & looking for some ideas & opinions on both. Given the price, hopefully they will last many years & give good protection in the event of a get off hopefully sparing or at least mitigating injury.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I didn't need the brand name stuff to ride my ride. I re-purposed a pair of my Red Wing FD duty/station boots. They have zippers in place of the laces so they're quick on/off. They are tight and over the ankle with a steel toe and steel insole with a pretty aggressive sole tread. If I'm not doing a lot of walking (miles) they are sufficient for bipedification. Otherwise I'll carry a pair of sneakers... YMMV...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I use Tourmaster Solution 2 boots because they are inexpensive, they are absolutely water proof, and they come in a wide size that lets me use my orthotics, so they ride, walk or stand a flag line in comfort all day.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I use Tourmaster Solution 2 boots because they are inexpensive, they are absolutely water proof, and they come in a wide size that lets me use my orthotics, so they ride, walk or stand a flag line in comfort all day.
They are a good boot been using them for several years.

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
​I have the Tourmaster 2.0 WP's and they are super comfortable, offer good protection, and only cost about a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Motorcycle specific yes ... Sidi Onroads. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I expect to be wearing this outstanding quality boot for years.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have the sidi canyons. Have had them for 7 years now. Comfy, waterproof and have the required protection I'm looking for.
I just bought a pair of Sidi on-road gortex. Looking forward to many years with them too.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I have the sidi canyons. Have had them for 7 years now. Comfy, waterproof and have the required protection I'm looking for.
I just bought a pair of Sidi on-road gortex. Looking forward to many years with them too.
Same here. Comfy and great protection!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I have two pair of MC specific boots. On pair are the Tourmaster Solution 2 boots which I wear in cooler weather or when I need waterproof boots. I also have a pair of Motorrad AirFlow 3 boots which have mesh panels and are lightweight for warmer weather. Both pair have 8" tops.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
​I have the Tourmaster 2.0 WP's and they are super comfortable, offer good protection, and only cost about a hundred bucks.
:agree: What OBT said...great boot for the $$

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
After spending a year with a pair of TCX boots that damn near destroyed my feet, I switched to Tourmaster Solution 2 about 4 months ago. MUCH more comfortable and a great value.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I have two pair of m/c boots. A pair of Oxtar,and a pair of Cruserworks. Both water proof, and very comfortable.
Mick

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I have three different styles of Sidi boots, the Crossfires, the Vertigo and the Tour Gortex.

The Crossfires are designed for off road and MX riding. The foot area is super stiff and solid, you cannot feel the gear shift through the boot. They are designed to take hits from roots, tree stumps and rocks, at speed. I've jammed my foot between rocks, tree stumps and the bike at 20+mph, where the bike is kicked sideways, you feel it, but it just feels like someone whacked your foot with a baseball bat, but the boot is stiff enough to stop broken bones. They provide the best ankle to knee protection, but again that's mainly for hitting stuff and for protection when the bike falls on top of you. They hinge at the ankle, to help with gear shifts etc.. They are a comfortable boot, but is not the boot you would want to walk around in for an extended period of time.

The road race boots, the Vertigo's, I use these for road and track riding. I can walk around in these and they provide good foot, ankle and shin protection. I can walk around in these all day, but you do realize you are wearing a purpose built boot.

If you want the best boot protection for street riding, a road race boot is probably your best option. I've crashed on the race track 3 times wearing the same pair of Sidi road race boots, I did sprain my ankle in one of those crashes, but that was mostly because I was tumbling.

I like Sidi's because they are a wide fit and I have little fat feet.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Why not consider a touring boot ?

Touring boots offer great protection and are made for comfortable walking also, in my opinion MX boots are the worst choice you could make for a street boot, most uncomfortable of all motorcycle specific boots, have you ever tried a pair ?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I wear dress chukka boots to work--one pair of black and another cordovan. They provide better protection than shoes and still look dressy enough to wear with a suit. For other riding I wear one of two boots, an ankle length pit boot and waterproof touring boots depending on the weather. I really like the pit boots because they are rugged and lightweight enough to walk around in. The waterproof boots are pretty bulky and hard to walk in, but they are warm and dry.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Wore the Tourmaster Solutions for several years, but to me they were HOT due to the waterproof design…no venting. Switched to some slightly shorter Frank Thomas boots, but they weren't much better, but now I've found the answer…Dainese TRQ Gore-Tex Touring. Waterproof, perforated leather, rear zipper closure with Velcro adjustable rear panels to accommodate calf size and if you want to wear outside/over your pants + elasticized side panels…all this plus the Axial Hinge for ankle protection. Recommend buying 1/2 size larger…euro boots tend to run a tad bit small.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-st-trq-tour-goretex

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Me too. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
1 - 20 of 82 Posts