GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning,
In the past I've never bothered to subscribe to a motorcycle towing service because of the Gold Wing's record. Over the past fifteen years I've owned three Wings and have yet to be left standing on the side of the road. But with all the transmission problems going on with the GL1800 I've decided that maybe a towing service might not be a bad idea now. I am leaning towards an outfit called MTS Towing. Anybody familiar with them? Any and all testimonials would be welcome.
Thanks in advance

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Honda is offering their 5 year roadside assistance for $120. I just signed up. The offer is good through March of 2009 if you own a Honda motorcycle.

American Honda Announces New Roadside Assistance Program
HPP - 4/16/2008
Honda riders across the nation will now have access to Roadside Assistance protection provided through American Honda. Later this month, Honda dealerships will begin offering HondaCare Roadside Assistance via Honda Protection Plans, American Honda¹s Extended Service Contract. HondaCare Roadside Assistance provides Honda riders with an industry leading level of benefits for On-Road motorcycle and scooter coverage, spanning a larger service area:
> Choice of Towing Benefits
- Towing to the nearest Honda Dealer, regardless of distance
- Towing to any Honda Dealer or the customer¹s residence within 30 miles
> Multi-year coverage at discounted rates
> Covers any person riding the motorcycle with the owner¹s consent
> Roadside assistance covers the United States, Canada and Mexico through the services of more than 45,000 providers
> Purchase with HondaCare Protection or alone
> Distributors Limited Warranty is covered by Roadside Assistance- 1 year of
Roadside Assistance purchased with 1 year of HondaCare Protection will provide 2 years of Roadside Assistance.
To get all the details regarding HondaCare Roadside Assistance, riders can simply visit their local Honda dealership.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I had MTS in the past and yes, I did need their help on an occasion when I stripped the drive line splines on my 1989 GL-1500. I was on a Three Flags Classic ride from Mexico to Canada and I broke down in Canyon Dam, CA. It was on a holiday weekend so I had a three day wait in a motel before I could even get an appointment for a Honda dealer...IN RENO, NV!!!! I had to rent a U-Haul and l load it myself because the MTS coverage was already used for that breakdown getting me to a motel in Quincy, 31 miles from Canyon Dam. Why only to Quincy? It has a Yamaha motorcycle repair shop. The trip to Reno/Sparks Nevada was another 85 miles away and I was not going to be on the hook for that tow trip bill.

The great news is that they are very pleasant on the phone and really went beyond my expectations in calling back to ensure I was okay and not left stranded by the side of the road. They put a lot of effort to select towing companies that have the right equipment and are knowledgeable about motorcycles. The unit sent out to help me was a tilting flatbed type so it was a great choice for hauling the Gold Wing. The tower not only asked for my opinions but welcomed my advice for tying it down. Nice! MTS is not brand specific so if you have a stable of bikes, so there is no issue about getting coverage for all of them with one policy.

The not-so-great news is that they are very intolerant of riders who don't maintain their bikes and make multiple calls for assistance in the course of a year. They only get you to the nearest motorcycle dealer and if that is a Hardley-Davidson shop that won't even lay a hand on a "POS Jape bike", then you are screwed. At that time, their covered tow mileage was somewhat short, especially if you lived out West, so it could still cost you some big bucks to get to where you need the bike to be. That may have changed so you should read their policies very carefully.

I changed over to the HRCA for several of those negative reasons. HRCA gets you to a Honda repair shop, not just a "motorcycle repair shop". I believe HRCA covers other bikes you own but that was not an issue with me because I only own a Wing. I have not had to use the HRCA roadside assistance program so I cannot tell you how good or poor it is compared to the MTS program but HRCA seems a good value.

Good luck and hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I have two plans,
My primary coverage is HondaCare Roadside Assistance which used to be what HRCA offered. HRCA no longer offers towing, instead you are directed to HondaCare available at any Honda dealer. Our host has the best price of course.

My second plan is an AMA is freebie....

Not brand specific like HondaCare, but you get:
  • Coverage for bikes, cars, pickups, motorhomes and trailers registered to you, your spouse, and dependent children under the age of 24, living at home or away at college.
  • Coverage in all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico and Canada.
  • Towing up to 35 miles.
  • All dispatch and hook-up fees.
  • Flat tire assistance.
  • Mechanical first aid: minor adjustments (excluding parts) to repair the vehicle.
  • Emergency fuel delivery.
  • Wheel and tire road hazard coverage for the member's vehicles, including trailers.
  • No exclusions for older motorcycles.
  • Up to five dispatched service calls per year.
  • Towing a disabled motorcycle or other vehicle to a shop or the member's home.
  • Emergency Trip Interruption Service: Up to $100 a day for three days ($300) in reimbursement for meals and lodging if a member's car or motorcycle is disabled in an accident, and/or while the member's vehicle is being repaired far from home.
  • Toll-free assistance available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, from two national call centers.
  • AMA Roadside Assistance pays first. No need to pay and wait for reimbursement.
  • Free trip-routing service.
  • Free limited legal services.
  • Free online rewards mall.
Sign up for AMA Roadside Assistance securely online, or call (800) AMA-JOIN for more information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts