GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at trailer hitchs and trailers for motorcycles and I do not see a place to hook up safety chains from the trailer to the bike. I thought that there had to be safety chains? Am I just missing this on the posts or is it not required for motorcyle trailers?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The loops that the safety chains connect to are located on the reciever part of the hitch. They may be difficult to see in most photos since you are normally looking for a black loop against a black hitch in an under-exposed photograph. I believe that safety chains are required for all trailers other than semi trucks.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Orange, In most applications the safety chain loops are hidden behind the rear fender. I use a Dauntless receiver type which the loops are attached at the bottom of the down tube mounted to the bike and are not visible from the rear. Byron

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have a Bushtec hitch and the loops for the chains are on the ball mount part of the hitch and are hidden just behind the fender. A bit of a pain to hook them up sometimes, not being able to see them. You have to go by feel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts