GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im Sam - ill try to keep this as brief and to the point as possible so you dont have to read through a massive topic. Im aware its a bit impolite to make this my first post so here is a bit of info about me:

My name is Sam Hanvy, and I am a product design student in my third year of university at Liverpool John Moores University. I am currently working on my final project, and I would really appreciate some feedback from bike riders like yourselves about my idea – which is a trailer for motorcycles. As a motorcyclist myself (currently off the road) I appreciate that the idea of attaching a tow bar and trailer on your bike could be seen by some as a terrible idea, but I think that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

So, if you have time I would really appreciate your thoughts on the following:

1) Do you own of havge you seen people using trailers?

2) If you have seen any, did they have any issues or problems that you would like to see solved?

3) Do you think that the product could solve some of the problems you see in your work – for example: people having limited heavy weather clothes due to luggage constraints.

4) Do you personally think that the idea has merit?

5) Do you like the idea of having interchangeable compartments - for example: spares and toolkit module, or a camping module, or a suitcase module – allowing the customer to choose what they need?

Attached to this post is a copy of my initial attempts to design some solutions, they are included in case you are curious about the idea (I thought it would be nice) – I will gladly accept any advice or criticism you have about them.

Thank you for taking the time to read this topic– it means a lot to me that you have.

Yours sincerely

Sam Hanvy

·
Canuck
2,849 Posts
Sam;

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your message, but it sounds as though you're not aware of motorcycle trailers and the world of M/C trailering. There are numerouse cargo trailers, tent trailers, hitches, etc. A listing of campers is shown here http://bohica.homeip.net:591/~mark/Campers.html. Here is also a list cargo trailers http://www.bidouilles-on-my-wing.fr/gb_remorques.html. Also check http://aerobourne.com/motorcycletrailerindex9.htm. There are many trailer threads in GL1800riders.com, just do a search.

Two excellent on-line resources for camper info are IBMC.org and MotoCampers.com. Also check http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/start

You asked:

1) Do you own of havge you seen people using trailers? YES - many cargo, some camper.

2) If you have seen any, did they have any issues or problems that you would like to see solved? NO

3) Do you think that the product could solve some of the problems you see in your work – for example: people having limited heavy weather clothes due to luggage constraints. YES

4) Do you personally think that the idea has merit? ABSOLUTELY

5) Do you like the idea of having interchangeable compartments - for example: spares and toolkit module, or a camping module, or a suitcase module – allowing the customer to choose what they need? NOT SURE

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah ha!

Ah ha, i just realised - this is an American forum and im in the UK motorcycle trailers are nowhere near as big here as they are in the States, it looks like the idea just hasnt caught on as much over here - perhaps my idea could be to make it catch on over here!

Thanks for replying Paul, your enthusiasm is well recieved (my teachers think im mad). Im looking to justify my project by finding people who agree that there is a market for trailers out there, and getting statements from them so anything you say is super helpful.

·
Canuck
2,849 Posts
Ah ha, i just realised - this is an American forum and im in the UK motorcycle trailers are nowhere near as big here as they are in the States, it looks like the idea just hasnt caught on as much over here - perhaps my idea could be to make it catch on over here!

Thanks for replying Paul, your enthusiasm is well recieved (my teachers think im mad). Im looking to justify my project by finding people who agree that there is a market for trailers out there, and getting statements from them so anything you say is super helpful.
Sam;

Can't speak for the UK, but here in Canada and the USA there is definitely a market for M/C trailers. Just look at all the M/C trailer manufacturers in the links I gave you earlier. And look at the M/C trailer forums.

However, I don't know about motorcycling in the UK. Based on your drawings you are thinking more about cargo trailers than tent trailers. Does the infrastucture exist? Are motorcycle hitches readily available? Is this kind of trailer licensing set up in the UK? Are there a lot of the larger sized bikes required to pull trailers? What takes place in mainland Europe?

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Some comments:

The wheels should be large (12") to reduce the RPMs on the wheel bearings.

The trailer in the bottom right corner is an interesting idea. I like the idea of removable compartments but I don't know how practical it is. The wheel in the middle is going to create a real mess with road debris on the inside of your bags. It might be a good design from a manufacturing point of view to create custom options.

The wheels should not be on the end of the trailer because that transfers too much weight (via leverage) to the tongue of the bike.

The single and dual wheel models all have their fans here in the states. It really depends on what you want to tow. Some people use them as an extra trunk for around town shopping. Others use them for pop up camping.

Let us know what you come up with.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
Design a trailer that when removed can be rolled into a hotel room door. Only one brand offers this.

·
Curious Member
877 Posts
Samhanvy,
First of all, welcome to the board. As you will find out there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here, along with plenty of opinions.:bow:

Motorcycle trailers in North America are common and there is a plethora of designs both for cargo and pop-up camping. There are several trailer manufacturers including some in Europe, a good reference is here:
http://www.bidouilles-on-my-wing.fr/gb_remorques.html

Last year I bought a Uni-Go, a single wheel trailer which used to be manufactured in New Zealand but is now made in the USA. It's relatively small in capacity compared to some of the two wheeled variety but holds everything my smarter half and I need for extended trips.

I do like your modular concept, it would allow for a lot of flexibilty, everybodies needs are different.

Good luck with your research and don't be concerned about your teachers thinking you are "mad". Creativity requires an open mind.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I had a cargo trailer behind my Goldwing we used for hauling camping gear (tent, sleeping bags, clothes, etc.). Sold that and bought a fold out camping trailer to get up off the ground and more storage. It is also faster to put up and down than a tent. Here is my review of my current camper. http://www.motocampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1098&highlight=bipeflier

I am a product designer (nearly 40 years) of industrial products so I look at things differently than a lot of folks before I buy. The most important factor for any motorcycle trailer is WEIGHT, or more to the point, lack of weight. Physics will tell you that weight on or behind the bike will affect the handling, usually on the negative side. Wheel size is probably the 2nd most important factor.

The modular concept is interesting. A properly designed frame/suspension system could open a very universal unit.

When you get to the "model" stage, post some illustrations and keep us informed on your project.

·
Registered
569 Posts
That modular concept is interesting. Opens a world of possiblilties, but keep the wheels on the outside, keep in mind the tounge length & weight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts