GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any idea on what kind of good tie down straps to buy when trailering a motorcycle.

Yesterday I bought a motorcycle trailer with the intent of it being available (when I am available to tow it) to tow a motorcycle that is broke down on the road in the Escambia County area (Pensacola) if someone is on a trip. You know...help the guy/gal out and get them to a dealership or wherever their ride can get fixed. But I want some good tie downs to use not just some that will get me by.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dennis

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Anybody have any idea on what kind of good tie down straps to buy when trailering a motorcycle.

I want some good tie downs to use not just some that will get me by.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dennis

Here ya go. http://www.directlineparts.com/search.asp

I have 2 soft ties for each rachet tie down that I use. Get the wide tie downs because they will not stretch and become loose.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
My son was at FOB Frontenac back when it was concertina wire laying on the ground and not much else.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I love the CargoBuckle retractable ratchets. http://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo.aspx?partnum=CBG3
I have 4 of them mounted on trailer. They are so easy to pull out and hook onto your soft ties and you don't have a bunch of loose ends flying around. I bought the little 45* angle bracket to attach to floor. The other 2 mounted to side rails of trailer.:thumbup: Works fantastic if your trailer is pretty much dedicated to bike hauling.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
While the 1" straps will work, if you get them, be sure to get some with the highest rating (breaking point?) you can get. It is better to get heavier duty straps though.

The 1.5 or 2" type that self retract are kind of neat . Get the soft ties that have a loop on each end, makes it easier to get ties around the forks and other areas.

I always use more ties than anyone else, but then I have never had a bike fall over on me like some I have seen try to get by with just a couple.

I also put a strap around the rear wheel and tie it straight back as a complement to the side straps, helps keep the bike straight.

I use a wheel chock, Condor is probably the best, but the Harbor Freight one is pretty good, I have two of them, and when I use my car flatbed, I just put the chock on the bed, and that holds the bike up so I can get off and tie it down without help.

One other tip, if you run your straps over an edge (I h ave to do this on my trailer because I don't have enough tie down points along the side, I need to install more) get some old inner tube rubber (any tire store should have some in the trash) and cut pieces to protect the straps from the edges they may go over.

·
Registered
775 Posts
One other tip, if you run your straps over an edge (I h ave to do this on my trailer because I don't have enough tie down points along the side, I need to install more) get some old inner tube rubber (any tire store should have some in the trash) and cut pieces to protect the straps from the edges they may go over.
Old Fire hose also makes great anti-chaffing protection where the straps have to run over a sharp edge.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for all the recommendations...now I've got to sort thru them but at least I have a good selection to choose from.

Thanks again,

Dennis

·
Registered
999 Posts
I've used the cargobuckles now for 5 years, they are the best without question, so easy even a caveman ................ I use my trailer 99% for the bike and then some to transport the riding lawn mower in for service and that's about it, perfect set up for me.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hate to say it...Amazon.com....that is where I got my 12" soft tie down straps

1 - 17 of 17 Posts